Is Sweetrobin based off of Robert Dudley?

Lady Howell

So, a lot of people tend to draw parallels between Sansa and Queen Elizabeth Tudor, mostly their backgrounds, but some of their personality could parallel one another as well if one squinted enough.

I drew the connections between Sansa and Elizabeth fairly early on, and with those around her as well. For instance, her situation with Littlefinger is similar to Elizabeth's with Seymour. Not only that, but Cersei could be construed as the Mary to Sansa's Elizabeth.

And then there's Robin.

This one I didn't really notice until recently when I was curiously looking into Queen Elizabeth's life and history. I had heard about Robert Dudley once or twice before, but it wasn't until I stated poking around Old Bess' history that I learned he was her favorite. Not only that, but she called him Sweetrobin, as well as her Eyes. He was near and dear to her heart.

Asoiaf's Sweetrobin is sometimes speculated to become the reason Sansa finally starts fighting back against LF, as well as someone important to her.

I was wondering if this is supposed to mean something. Is it just a mere coincidence that character close to a character partially based off Queen Elizabeth is named Sweetrobin, or is it some form of foreshadowing? And if the latter, what does this mean for Sansa and Robert's future relationship?

So, a lot of people tend to draw parallels between Sansa and Queen Elizabeth Tudor, mostly their backgrounds, but some of their personality could parallel one another as well if one squinted enough.

I drew the connections between Sansa and Elizabeth fairly early on, and with those around her as well. For instance, her situation with Littlefinger is similar to Elizabeth's with Seymour. Not only that, but Cersei could be construed as the Mary to Sansa's Elizabeth.

And then there's Robin.

This one I didn't really notice until recently when I was curiously looking into Queen Elizabeth's life and history. I had heard about Robert Dudley once or twice before, but it wasn't until I stated poking around Old Bess' history that I learned he was her favorite. Not only that, but she called him Sweetrobin, as well as her Eyes. He was near and dear to her heart.

Asoiaf's Sweetrobin is sometimes speculated to become the reason Sansa finally starts fighting back against LF, as well as someone important to her.

I was wondering if this is supposed to mean something. Is it just a mere coincidence that character close to a character partially based off Queen Elizabeth is named Sweetrobin, or is it some form of foreshadowing? And if the latter, what does this mean for Sansa and Robert's future relationship?

Im not sure what was Queen Elizabeth and Robert Dudleys relationship like?

Im not sure what was Queen Elizabeth and Robert Dudleys relationship like?

Notably close, from childhood till death. Dudley was one of Elizabeth's greatest friends and supporters. He was her Favorite for a reason. Though if Sweetrobin is based of Dudley, I would hope GRRM would drop the romantic aspects of the relationship.

You have no idea how happy you made me with this analogue. I really really hope you are right. I don't want Sweetrobin to die. Plus I want Sansa to go all Mother Wolf on Littlefinger for threatening to kill the pup she adopted. ^_^. I sincerely doubt that there will be any romance between them since Sansa kind of took the role of being his mother.

You have no idea how happy you made me with this analogue. I really really hope you are right. I don't want Sweetrobin to die. Plus I want Sansa to go all Mother Wolf on Littlefinger for threatening to kill the pup she adopted. ^_^

It would probably be of benefit to Sansa too. The kids mentally stunted and sees her as his mother. Chances are he'd be easier to control/manipulate than Harry the Heir.

You have no idea how happy you made me with this analogue. I really really hope you are right. I don't want Sweetrobin to die. Plus I want Sansa to go all Mother Wolf on Littlefinger for threatening to kill the pup she adopted. ^_^. I sincerely doubt that there will be any romance between them since Sansa kind of took the role of being his mother.

Agreed I dont wanna see House Arryn extinct :frown5:

Notably close, from childhood till death. Dudley was one of Elizabeth's greatest friends and supporters. He was her Favorite for a reason. Though if Sweetrobin is based of Dudley, I would hope GRRM would drop the romantic aspects of the relationship.

Well they would be a power couple because she could possibly inherit the Riverlands and the North too.

Well they would be a power couple because she could possibly inherit the Riverlands and the North too.

Yeah, but this series as enough incest as it is. Plus, with her taking upon the mantle of basically being his mom, it would be pretty weird, even in-story probably.

Though I guess I could get on board with it if the marriage was pure politics and no romance.

Actually I didn't really think of House Arryn. I just have a soft spot for SweetRobin despite his bratty behaviour. I root for him to survive in this series.

And be raised to be a good lord by his adoptive-mother Sansa. :D

You know there is a possibility he will survive. It is mentioned quite a lot in the series he will die and considering what a troll GRRM is he could do a twist and let him survive.

Plus, since the books are based off our world, there's also a precedent in history where people thought little lords or ladies would die in their cribs or in childhood, but they ended up growing up into BAMFs.

I just realized the implications of saying BAMF in my above post considering a minute ago we were just talking about the chances of SR and Sansa becoming a couple despite her motherly role towards him :blink:

Yeah, but this series as enough incest as it is. Plus, with her taking upon the mantle of basically being his mom, it would be pretty weird, even in-story probably.

Though I guess I could get on board with it if the marriage was pure politics and no romance.

Its not really incest, theyre cousins, thats normal and acceptable in Westeros.

Its not really incest, theyre cousins, thats normal and acceptable in Westeros.

Yeah, true. It's the whole she's his "new mother" thing that really squicks me out, though.

But hey, if GRRM goes through with that scenario, I guess I'll just have to learn to deal.

It would probably be of benefit to Sansa too. The kids mentally stunted and sees her as his mother. Chances are he'd be easier to control/manipulate than Harry the Heir.

Saving Sweetrobin would definitely benefit Sansa, but not in the way you mention it. I hardly doubt that Sansa would manipulate her little cousin. When she saves him she could get Sweetrobin and the Lord Declarants on her side and she will need it if she wants to reconquest Winterfell/North.

Archived