Tyrion + Tysha = Podrick

Hippocras

So, Hoster Tully has Lysa abort her out-of-the-wedlock pregnancy, to avoid shame cast on his family. Yet Tywin allows Tyrion's "whore" to carry to term, and moreover, gives his illegitimate grandson a family and a name? Say what you want about Tywin, in reality he was just a big old softy. Especially where Tysha was involved.

Serious Mode On: no, I don't find your theory plausible.

5. It would help explain Podrick's absolutely heroic dedication to Tyrion.

Does Sansa need to be Brienne's daughter (or Brienne be Cat's daughter) to explain the heroic dedication she displays in locating Cat's daughters? Does Brienne need to be Jaime's daughter to explain why he ran into that bear pit?

Simply, Pod has no where else to go but Tyrion. Anyone who served Tyrion has been castigated and kicked out. Additionally, he's one of the characters who seems to value honor, and from this side, it looks a lot more like his significance is more about an iteration of present-day Dunk and Egg (how Brienne is the truest knight of her day, teaching a young squire of honor) and passing on the knight's code than some hidden identity.

Does Sansa need to be Brienne's daughter (or Brienne be Cat's daughter) to explain the heroic dedication she displays in locating Cat's daughters? Does Brienne need to be Jaime's daughter to explain why he ran into that bear pit?

Simply, Pod has no where else to go but Tyrion. Anyone who served Tyrion has been castigated and kicked out. Additionally, he's one of the characters who seems to value honor, and from this side, it looks a lot more like his significance is more about an iteration of present-day Dunk and Egg (how Brienne is the truest knight of her day, teaching a young squire of honor) and passing on the knight's code than some hidden identity.

yeah, but Egg was secretly a King.

No, the point you quote was not that no other possible explanation exists for the dedication he shows, only that it helps support the possibility.

so you think Podrick is obvious?

See what I wrote above, his affiliation with Tyrion is stronger and more obvious than that with the Sailor's wife.

Others on this thread were saying it can't be true because if it were then MORE hints would have been dropped.

More? I have yet to see a single hint suggesting that Podrick is Tyrion's son.

Podrick's backstory is fleshed out enough that I don't see much room for this. Unless Tysha was somehow able to arrange for the Payne's to adopt her bastard son. Which strikes me as unlikely to say the least.

No actually, Tyrion noted that the back story was pretty flimsy, as did Brienne. The only thing stopping both of them from questioning him further was his horrible stutter. He had so much trouble explaining anything in detail and getting the little bit of story he did provide out of him was so painful they both gave up.

See what I wrote above, his affiliation with Tyrion is stronger and more obvious than that with the Sailor's wife.

More? I have yet to see a single hint suggesting that Podrick is Tyrion's son.

yes...so...the sailor's wife can easily be a red herring.

Indeed there are no direct hints dropped about Pod being anything other than Pod, except the fact that he has a flimsy back-story, and the parallel to Dunk and Egg.

yeah, but Egg was secretly a King.

No, the point you quote was not that no other possible explanation exists for the dedication he shows, only that it helps support the possibility.

And Dunk was a man.

So, not only does forcing the full, literal parallel tell us that Pod is a king via Tyrion (I assume this predicated on A+J=T, and T+T=P, ergo Pod = the Targ king; is that where this is going?), but it also tells us that Brienne's been in drag the whole damn time, in fact, since she was a kid, apparently.

And Dunk was a man.

So, not only does forcing the full, literal parallel tell us that Pod is a king via Tyrion (I assume this predicated on A+J=T, and T+T=P, ergo Pod = the Targ king; is that where this is going?), but it also tells us that Brienne's been in drag the whole damn time, in fact, since she was a kid, apparently.

huh?

no, the parallel simply suggests that there is much more to Pod's ancestry than there seems to be at first, and he is squiring for someone who is remarkably honour oriented and dedicated. Who is a woman. Why would she be a man in drag?

I like the idea of Podrick being somewhat more than what we make him out to be, however isn't he that already?

What we have is a boy that is strangely awkward, quiet most of the time, yet completely comes alive under the heat of battle. He is true to his word, and values honor (that already shows more moral fiber than half the other characters in the story).

Therefore I think Pod will "become someone more" by just being Pod. I don't know exactly what the standing of House Payne is since we only see two characters on the out skirts of the family, but what if Podrick could somehow be next in line for the Lordship?

I like the idea of Podrick being somewhat more than what we make him out to be, however isn't that already?

What we have is a boy that is strangely awkward, quiet most of the time, yet completely comes alive under the heat of battle. He is true to his word, and values honor (that already shows more moral fiber than half the other characters in the story).

Therefore I think Pod will "become someone more" by just being Pod. I don't know exactly what the standing of House Payne is since we only see two characters on the out skirts of the family, but what if Podrick could somehow be next in line for the Lordship?

Tyrion's son or not, I definitely want to see him become a lord.

And Dunk was a man.

Yup. If one wants to force a literal parallel, one must do so consistently. Brienne must be a man, since Dunk was a man. We also need to make sure there is a secret hidden in Pod's boot. Though, considering the show, the boot might turn out to be a secret hidden in the pants.

am I the only poster these days without a sockpuppet?

Probably. You're so lame. Sockpuppets are the new orange.

Yet Tywin allows Tyrion's "whore" to carry to term, and moreover, gives his illegitimate grandson a family and a name? Say what you want about Tywin, in reality he was just a big old softy. Especially where Tysha was involved.

Yes I did say the Tywin angle was less likely. My emphasis was on Jamie. Finding her somewhere to go is something I can see him doing, and he would not have told his father. But later, at the Green Forks, Tywin might have guessed based on some details of the back story that he then forbid Podrick from telling Tyrion or anyone else.

4. This would explain why Tywin was unwilling to execute Podrick for his crimes. Being from house Payne (the reason given to Tyrion) would not be enough. Being Tyrion's son would make him kin.

Tywin is not a complete dumbass, executing a boy of a house owing him allegiance is bad publicity.

yes...so...the sailor's wife can easily be a red herring.

Indeed there are no direct hints dropped about Pod being anything other than Pod, except the fact that he has a flimsy back-story, and the parallel to Dunk and Egg.

How is his backstory flimsy?

Tyrion's son or not, I definitely want to see him become a lord.

Him being a lord is pure speculation, but what I am stating is that I don't think Pod has to have any secret ancestry in order to be someone special. I think that the actions he is taking, the road he chooses to walk, is already what is going to make him someone special.

Tywin is not a complete dumbass, executing a boy of a house owing him allegiance is bad publicity.

Maybe. But he doesn't seem to have anyone in house Payne that actually gives a damn about him or even knows who he is. So I doubt they would care.

Flimsy - Tyrion and Brienne both noted that the story was full of holes. This is not my assessment of the backstory, but something that both characters noted in their POVs

Him being a lord is pure speculation, but what I am stating is that I don't think Pod has to have any secret ancestry in order to be someone special. I think that the actions he is taking, the road he chooses to walk, is already what is going to make him someone special.

I agree he is a special character regardless. I want him to be a lord because of his awesomeness. The Tyrion angle to me is an interesting possibility and would bring him a step closer to potential lordship as added bonus.

Archived