Tyrion + Tysha = Podrick

Hippocras

ETA: I'm not sure if either Tysha or Lollys actually were raped by 50+ men. That just seems to be a number GRRM likes to use when it comes to gang-rape. But even if they were, it does seem that biology in Westeros is not meant to completely line up with RL biology, even if he tries to approximate it. (For example, boiling wine would actually be less effective for disinfection than cold rubbing alcohol, because boiling it would reduce the alcohol content.)

I don't think that this particular number is used here, the only one I can think of is Tyrion talking about his first wife to Sansa and referring to "100 silver and 1 gold coin" (paraphrasing).

Pod, Tyrion's son?

I've always wondered why Pod reminded me so much of Tyrion?

Doesn't he have the same mismatched eyes like Tyrion? What was it, one green eye and one black?

Or maybe it's his hair. I always remember Pod having platinum blond hair...

Or is it his height? The last time I saw Pod he was shorter than Tyrion...

No, no, I remember! It's Pod's infamous political savvy! He's not training to be a squire, he's training to be a political mastermind and battle commander, to completely and utterly win the game of thrones! So like Tyrion!

Gee, with all those similarities, it makes me wonder why I never suspected Tyrion was Pod's dad before!

The problem with this is that Tyrion's appearance is so unusual--even aside from the dwarfism, you've got the weird blond/black hair and the mismatched eyes--that if Pod possessed any physical traits tying him to Tyrion in that way, it'd be an immediate and obvious tipoff. Even the other speculated Tyrion/Tysha children--Lanna and Penny--have only one trait tying them to Tyrion physically (golden hair and dwarfism, respectively) and no personality traits in common with him. And really, it's probably a good thing that Pod doesn't have Tyrion's personality.

The timeline doesn't fit: Tyrion and Tysha married at age 13. Tyrion is 28 years old as of ADwD, meaning any child with Tysha would be around 14 years old by now (which is curiously the age of Lanna, daughter of the Sailor's Wife). Podrick is currently twelve years old.

Yes, in real life, I absolutely agree that that would be the case, but GRRM's shown himself willing to play fast and loose with biological and medical realities before ("the seed is strong" Baratheon super-genes, for one). I don't think we can rule out any Tysha child theories on that basis.

ETA: gammaerys' point about Lollys is a good one. If one ASOIAF character bore a healthy child despite being raped by 50 men, no reason to believe that Tysha couldn't have done the same.

Ya, I guess that's true. It still makes me uncomfortable to think about. I feel so bad for Tysha and Lollys. And have a hard time believing that either was able to carry to term. Lollys definitely pushes the limit for me on how much I can suspend disbelief.

Where is the book evidence Tyrion is 28?

Whoever did the estimated timeline says Tyrion was born in 274, which would make him 26. He married at 13, if any child resulted from that marriage they were born 3/4 of a year later, so he was probably 14 by then. The child would now be 12.

I was going to make a post against this theory but although we are supposed to know what happened to his parents it seems a bit iffy. And Tyrion was given to him as a squire by Tywin who puts family above all else. So, even though i still believe that Podrick is who it says in the books, this theory is possible imo.

What are you talking about?

"Sockpuppets" are secondary forum accounts made by people to agree with themselves. Although sockpuppets are pointless and annoying, just assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a sockpuppet for the opposing side is equally pointless.

It doesn't really matter how many people are on each side in an argument/discussion, you can still stick to actual relevant points to discuss - unless you just want to devolve to a shouting match of course.

"Sockpuppets" are secondary forum accounts made by people to agree with themselves. Although sockpuppets are pointless and annoying, just assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a sockpuppet for the opposing side is equally pointless.

It doesn't really matter how many people are on each side in an argument/discussion, you can still stick to actual relevant points to discuss - unless you just want to devolve to a shouting match of course.

Ah ok thanks.

I really don't see the point of a sock puppet on speculation threads though. Whether or not the speculated possibility proves to be right or wrong is up to Martin and we will find out when we find out.

Ah ok thanks.

I really don't see the point of a sock puppet on speculation threads though. Whether or not the speculated possibility proves to be right or wrong is up to Martin and we will find out when we find out.

Absolutely agree.

..... Thank you for the explanation since I am not a native speaker.

And second: i really have a problem with pople getting too passionate - or aggressive - about whatever topics, and all topics are more or less speculative. I don't get angry because I am so very sensitive and easy to offend. I am not, I only dislike bad manners. But I think by insisting that the author can only follow this or that story possibility since everything else would be "wrong, misogynist, racist or leftwing ideology" choose the demeaning attribute, is actually not only demeaning towards another poster but as well or first of all respectless towards the author and his freedom to write his own story the way he wants.

So we should speculate with more fun and serenity. And for our own sake with more openminded curiosity for what the author might serve us. So no one would need a socketpuppet.

No one has guessed the most plausible possibility, Joy Hill. My guess is when Gerrion found out what happened to Tysha, he tracked her down, agreed to take her child and claim her as his own so she would be raised in Casterly Rock. The child is mentioned on two separate occasions and Jaime is very fond of her mentioning how clever she is.

No one has guessed the most plausible possibility, Joy Hill. My guess is when Gerrion found out what happened to Tysha, he tracked her down, agreed to take her child and claim her as his own so she would be raised in Casterly Rock. The child is mentioned on two separate occasions and Jaime is very fond of her mentioning how clever she is.

The word "joy" being related to another "bastard" in asoiaf.

Interesting. How old is she?

I had also considered Podrick being Tywin's bastard, ie. evidence of the man's deep hypocrisy. This would make him a half brother to Cersei, so possible candidate for Valonqar

Interesting. How old is she?

Joy is eleven, according to COK appendix.

Tysha and Tyrion married in 287.

As much as I like the idea that Joy might be Tyrion's daughter, I doubt that Gerion could do something like that.

He had to be extremely cautious as to hide the girl's true identity.

Please GRRM, don't let Pod be dead!

Also noteworthy that hasn't been mentioned yet is the stye under Pod's eye. Is that still there through all the books? And does it have any potential significance?

Many of the Blackfyre's were said to have dark hair and facial anomalies (Maelys), maybe there's a connection?

Posted this in another thread just a bit ago and thought it would be relevant here too:

According to the app he was born in 274AL, but Cersei is listed as 266AL. Joanna is also listed as dying in "+/-274". We know Cersei was 9 when Tyrion was born, so their ages match up depending on when her birthday is compared to when his is. The app is also endorsed by GRRM, which means we can accept it as cannon vs the wiki which is fan edited. Lanna is listed as born in 286.

If these timelines are correct, then Tyrion would have been 12 at the time of her birth, not 13-14 as he would be for his child.

This does not necessarily remove all possibilities since timelines could be a bit off, but I feel it does severely diminish the chance of Lanna being Tyrion's (or one of the guardsmen's).

Podrick's DOB is not given, it's just stated he is 12. This means he could currently be 12 or was 12 at his first appearance.

Joy Hill is listed as born in 288 when Tyrion was 14.

Joy Hill seems to be the best fit timeline wise according to the app (again, endorsed and approved by GRRM, not fan edited like wiki).

Gerion was very fond of Tyrion and I don't think he would have approved of Tywin's actions regarding Tysha. It is not outside the realm of possibilities that he would take Tysha's child and pass her off as her own. It wouldn't be hard to hide her identity since he doesn't seem to have named her mother.

Joy as Tyrion's would be a nice little fuck you to Tywin as well because Tywin is raising his bastard grandchild and seems quite fond of her (as fond as he can be of anyone) going so far as to arrange high born marriage pacts for her.

This is just my 2 cents. Everyone is free to believe what they want. But unless the next books change the timeline in the app I don't think Lanna is Tyrion's.

Archived