[Spoilers] Official Dark Souls 2 Thread - Prepare to Die... again.

aceluby

On a side note, my brother got this game w/out playing any of the others and he's so frustrated with it. He just wants to hack and slash and keeps getting his ass kicked because of it. He's giving it another week, but plans on returning it. I'm going to head over in the next few days to show him some tips and tricks so maybe he can have some fun with it.

High poise armour on a Strength/Endurance/Adaptability character paired with a 100% Block shield (the Drangleic shield works well from what I've seen) and you've pretty much got a frustration free playthrough.

Just keep that shield up.

(That's what I'd suggest to someone who hasn't played any of the Souls games yet)

This is not a plot spoiler, just something I'm surprised they did and wish I did not know as it takes some of the challenge out of the game.

The

Ring of Life Protection can be repaired for a mere 3000 souls. Meaning you should never have to worry about losses on death.

"A mere 3000 souls"..... heh, with the amount I die..... plus you need to constantly go back to Majula (these loading times are horrendous on PS3). Not worth the hassle IMO.

Made good progress tonight. Cleared out Heide's Tower, beat the 2 bosses there. Went through most of No Man's Wharf, had a hard time finding the lever to get the boss area though, so that will have to wait until tomorrow. Also put a few points into Endurance and got the Ring of Binding and a Gold Pine Resin, so I'm ready to take out the Ruin Sentinels now too.

Everyone, be sure that you're trading all your Silky & Smooth Stones to the crows. They've been giving me weapon attribute stones for them. Cant use them yet, but I've got a Fire, Lightning and Dark ready to go for when I can. There is no longer a limit to how much you can trade them. And you don't have to quit/reload anymore either, just leave your item then pick it back up to see how you did. Experiment with other stuff too. They like Prism Stones, but I don't always get a great item back for. It's kind of random. I also traded them my Petrified Somehing.

Do you have to get weapons to +10 before you can use an attribute mod on them? I got a lightning stone yesterday but I haven't tried to use it yet.

Where are the Crows, exactly?

In the tutorial area in Things Betwixt, the first fog gate you can go through after the bonfire leads you up onto a ledge with a bird's nest. That's them.

Do you have to get weapons to +10 before you can use an attribute mod on them? I got a lightning stone yesterday but I haven't tried to use it yet.

Don't know. I'm guessing that you'll need to bring them to McDuff. Just have to figure out how to get him to open shop.

I've been playing a few hours now and haven't been invaded. I heard you don't need to be human to be invaded this time, and I haven't been human most of the time I've played. When I humanized recently I saw summon signs everywhere, so I am beginning to suspect I can't be invaded unless human, despite early reports?

Just got to the Ruin Sentinels. That didn't go well.

I've been playing a few hours now and haven't been invaded. I heard you don't need to be human to be invaded this time, and I haven't been human most of the time I've played. When I humanized recently I saw summon signs everywhere, so I am beginning to suspect I can't be invaded unless human, despite early reports?

I haven't been invaded at all either and I've been playing in human form most of the time. Not sure why.

Got past the Sentinels after a few tries. Just got my ass handed to me by the Executioner Chariot. It's a fun fight though.

Also apparently there's no holy weapon option anymore. Just Dark and Lightning to scale with faith. That's kinda lame, I liked having holy weapons on my paladin type characters.

As some of you may have noticed there are currently 4 different Dark Souls 2 wikis. IGN, Wikia, Fextralife and Wikidot. The Reddit community made the decision to go with Wikidot as the "official" Dark Souls 2 wiki so that's going to be the one that sees the most active content addition/editing I think. Just thought I'd let you guys know in case you're wondering which one to use. I've made a few contributions to the Wikidot one already. At the moment Fextralife seems to have a bit more info on some pages but that's going to change pretty quickly I think.

The first game had 2 wiki's - Wikia and Wikidot (that I was aware of). Of those Wikidot was a lot better. I had assumed that Wkidot was going to be the best again. But it's been less than a week, of course they're all going to be pretty empty now.

Holy shit is this game frustrating. I might have chose the wrong class (swordsman) for someone very inexperienced. This is brutal.

I was a bit overleveled for Heide's Tower and No Man's Wharf. Nothing in those areas gave me any trouble. Old Dragonslayer killed me once, the other 2 bosses not at all.

He's more dangerous when you give him distace, he'll start using his lightning attacks. Stay close and he'll just use regular attacks that are pretty easy to dodge.

It has to do with Soul Memory. DS1 had a big problem with low level twinks picking on new players. This time they stopped that by factoring in how may souls you have accumulated while playing. Doesn't matter if you've used them on leveling or improving gear, or just lost them, they still count. Anybody who does a lot of invading is going to have a pretty high Soul Memory. Those who are just playing through the game are going to have low Soul Memory. So you're not going to interract too much.

My Soul Memory right now is 274,706, and I haven't been invaded yet either.

Apparently Luna Belfry is a PVP hotspot, so you may get invaded when you get there.

Hopefully the community will complain enough that From patches out Soul Memory.

I was a bit overleveled for Heide's Tower and No Man's Wharf. Nothing in those areas gave me any trouble. Old Dragonslayer killed me once, the other 2 bosses not at all.

He's more dangerous when you give him distace, he'll start using his lightning attacks. Stay close and he'll just use regular attacks that are pretty easy to dodge.

I finally beat him. If you move to your right / his left, it becomes pretty simple.

My biggest problem is that I haven't found any weapons I like. In DS1, I had the Black Knight Sword, Claymore, and Zweihander by level 30. I'm level 52 and my strongest 2h is the greatsword, and that has possibly the worst targeting in the game. I couldn't even kill a crystal lizard. I'm 0-2 on crystal lizards :bang: . Some blue knight dude dissed me so I killed him and took his halberd. I'm probably going to try to build off of that.

EDIT: I'm not sure how I messed up quoting, but I did.

Archived