[Spoilers] Official Dark Souls 2 Thread - Prepare to Die... again.

aceluby

The map you posted earlier says that the ore merchant is in Harvest Valley. I'm on my way to find her now. Is she hiding?

No she's there and she moves back to Mejula after you go through all her dialogue, but she only sells basic titanite shards. Apparently her stock grows as you get further into the game though so I'll just have to press on. I was able to upgrade the Greatsword to +4 and it's doing more damage than the Heide Knight sword now so I started using that. It is comically massive.

I'm 25 hours into the game, and have no great souls. I made it to the Lost Sinner. Sinners' Rise wasn't that tough. Got killed by the Sinner a couple of times and decided to move on. I think I could beat him, I just don't really care right now. Went over Huntsman's Copse to find the ore merchant. Haven't found it to be that hard so far. Took a wrong turn and got jumped by 4 big axe wielding guys. Took the alternate rout through the caves and necromancers. Hoping that's the right way to Harvest Valley.

Yeah you're on the right track now, Huntsman's Copse's boss is pretty tough/fun so get ready :P The other path with the four guys who jump down off the pillars goes to the Undead Purgatory. I died quite a few times to that boss and decided to go back later.

Azzanadra, for one, try the fight as a human, Lucatiel has a sign just outside the Smelter's room, so you can have some help. I copped out and got a second person too after a few tries, because I got tired of dying after whittling him down to half health.

He's pretty standard, though. Just gotta be really careful, stay close to him and keep circling around (until he does that fire pulse, of course) and score a hit whenever you can. Blocking his attacks didn't seem very effective for me, but once you have the timings down dodging them all became fairly easy. On the whole he's one of the toughest minibosses I've faced though, a ton of health and that damage...

If you just find yourself unable to beat him, you can theoretically skip it, although if you die the run will be insane because you won't have access to the bonfire you get after him. I assume you've turned off the fire in that central room (the one on your left as you go to the Smelter). If so, just go up the ladder in that, and the ladder at the end of that walkway, and you're just outside the door where the post-Smelter bonfire is. The next bonfire is quite a way aways, but if you play carefully, it should be possible.

Alright thanks man, the summon for Lucatiel is what won be the fight. My main problem was the fact that when he goes supersayan the 2nd time, he does fire damage as opposed to pure physical damage, all of which I can block. Lucatiel was able to tank for most of the fight.

On a side note, despite being a part of the Belfry covenant I still get invaded by grey phantoms, is that intentional?

Has anyone found an unlimited source of small titanites? That's one reason I'm a little wary of changing my norning star out for perhaps the white knight's sword (and have yet to use any on my tower shield or any of my armour). I don't have much supply of small titanites at this stage (I bought all the ones the smith in the starting town has - Mahulia or Mahujia or whatever it's called).

Titanite Shards aren't terribly uncommon. There will be another merchant later that sells you another 10, then later still an unlimited supply. You'll be able to pick some up here and there from chests and enemy drops. I've gotten enough to upgrade 6 items to +3.

Ok, thanks again. I'll just use them as I find them and not worry about it too much, then. (Seeing the first merchant had a limited supply of 8 had me concerned that DS2 was placing a limit on the total number available for purchase, which had me histant to use the few I have left)

When am I going to start getting clothes that are better than my starting gear? Across two characters I think I've replaced gear, like, once.

I've been using the Dranglaic armor (that you get after the Pursuer fight) with the Knight helmet and gauntlets and the imported leggings to stay within fast roll territory, been working pretty well. You looking for light or heavy armor? You find the full thief/black leather set in Earthen Peak which when upgraded is still pretty good I think. Also the armor vendor in Mejula eventually gets the Elite Knight set which is great heavy armor when upgraded. I think he gets it after you spend a certain amount of souls on him.

ETA: Question. Sometimes when you get summoned into someone's game and clear a boss with them, and you were in hollow form in your own game, when you come back to your world you are revived. I know From have said this is a bug so presumably it's going to be removed. However it also recharges your estus flask/spell uses and repairs all your gear, anyone know if this is also part of the bug or an intended effect? Because that has been hella useful. Get to try out the boss consequence free before going in on my own, get some free souls and a sunlight medal AND a free bonfire rest? Can't pass up that deal.

Got a few more hours in this weekend and am pretty far. Think I'm about 30 hours in, but a lot of that has been in co-op. LOVE the co-op system and really enjoy using it to not only help each other out, but also to share info.

Like in Earthen Peak you are supposed to set the big windmill on fire in order to get rid of most of the poison. Makes the level and boss SO much easier

I feel like these things were developed purposefully this way. Cryptic messages, bloodstains to help learn from others mistakes, and co-op to share info learned from your mistakes utilizing gestures... just genius.

This weekend I went through and beat almost all of the non-Large Soul bosses

Undead Pergatory (my favorite boss so far), The skellies (least favorite boss so far), & Madusa in Earthen Peak

At this point all I have left is the Lost Sinner, Iron Keep, then the areas down the well and up near the forked road to complete the first part of the 'main' quest. I've upgraded by staff to +7 and my fire longsword to +4, have upgraded to about SL72ish putting almost all of my points into INT and bought out pretty much all of the merchants. After doing some PvP in Belfry and doing tons of co-op I'm noticing that there is definitely some balance issues between melee and casters, at least with the spells I've seen so far. They just don't do enough damage to be viable when they are so easily dodged and when they do hit the biggest spell only does a few hundred damage. Hopefully that will change as gear improves and other spells are found.

If I may ask, how did you obtain said soul spear? I am currently rolling a sorcerer as well.

I found it in Huntsman's Copse.

Is the co-op as simple as putting down a mark and being summoned? I did that once and played as a phantom or something. How do you summon others?

You have to be in human form and look for summon signs on the ground. The largest concentrations of them are right outside boss gates and next to bonfires, but some people put them down at random spots in levels too.

Is the co-op as simple as putting down a mark and being summoned? I did that once and played as a phantom or something. How do you summon others?

Yep, put your white soapstone down and wait. If you are successful you are rewarded with full spells and all repaired gear, if not you come back with even more degraded gear and less spells if used.

You summon others by touching signs on the ground while being human.

You have to be in human form and look for summon signs on the ground. The largest concentrations of them are right outside boss gates and next to bonfires, but some people put them down at random spots in levels too.

Yeah, I like to put mine everywhere in a level. Especially when I want to recharge my spells again.

Human form means I'm not hollowed at all right? Human effigy and no death?

Human form means I'm not hollowed at all right? Human effigy and no death?

Yep. Dying reverts you to hollow.

Yeah, I like to put mine everywhere in a level. Especially when I want to recharge my spells again.

Can you have more than one down at a time now?

Also does anyone know how to reverse the circle and X button functions? I've seen some videos of people (EpicNameBro being one of them) where circle is their interact button and X is sprint. I can't seem to find that in the options menu though. ETA: He explains it a video, he plays on a Japanese console which has those buttons switched for every game.

Yep. Dying reverts you to hollow.

Can you have more than one down at a time now?

Also does anyone know how to reverse the circle and X button functions? I've seen some videos of people (EpicNameBro being one of them) where circle is their interact button and X is sprint. I can't seem to find that in the options menu though.

No, you can't have more than one down, I just like to leave mine in the middle of the level if I run low on spells and utilize melee for co-op to recharge my spells for when I go after the boss in my level.

One thing I'm noticing is that every once in a while I will just kind of 'end up' being human after being hollow. It's happened under a few circumstances:

- Once it happened after writing a message

- It happens every so often after doing a co-op (both when being 'banished' from someones game and when successful, never after dying)

- It happened once when I sat at a new bonfire

So now what I do is if I'm hollow I'll put down my sign to go through the level w/ a partner while trying to become human and when I do I then summon my own helpers for the bosses. One thing is for sure, I feel like I have a very different attitude than many 'die hard' fans of the series do when it comes to co-op. I'm 100% down for co-op on a first playthrough. After I have a few runs under my belt I'll do some of the challenges like taking on every level and boss by myself, but don't think it's absoutely necessary on a first play through. I like exploring and learning everything I can about each level and feel co-op is the best way to achieve this :)

So now what I do is if I'm hollow I'll put down my sign to go through the level w/ a partner while trying to become human and when I do I then summon my own helpers for the bosses. One thing is for sure, I feel like I have a very different attitude than many 'die hard' fans of the series do when it comes to co-op. I'm 100% down for co-op on a first playthrough. After I have a few runs under my belt I'll do some of the challenges like taking on every level and boss by myself, but don't think it's absoutely necessary on a first play through. I like exploring and learning everything I can about each level and feel co-op is the best way to achieve this :)

Same. I always try bosses solo first (after getting summoned by someone to learn the mechanics first), but if I fail a few times I'll summon help. I want to get through the game, see all there is to see and explore everything I can the first playthrough without worrying too much about making things as difficult as possible. Plenty of time for challenge runs later. Plus, I'm a sunbro. Coop is necessary :P

Had a lot of fun in Belfry Luna last night after going back and summoning help. Me and my boy Dangerous_Dave (who I don't actually know and will likely never see again) did some 2v2s on the way upstairs with some grey phantoms who kept invading one after another and then took out those gargoyles. Fuck yeah Sunbros.

Archived