Jon and Arya

Shortspear Rick

Does anyone else suspect that Jon Snow and Arya Stark might wind up together one day? First off, this theory is pretty much dependent on R+L=J, making them cousins which is not so much considered incest around Westeros as is brother/sister (Jamie and Cersei) and father/daughter (Craster and his daughter-wives) or any similar couplings. Call this a crackpot theory if you will and sorry if it's been discussed before, but I really couldn't find anything from searching.

Anyways, of all the Stark children we have a POV of (Sansa, Arya, Bran and Jon) these two seem to think about each other more than any of their other siblings. From what we've read so far foreshadowing is a key element of Martin's storytelling. After all the things they've been through they still think of one another often and pretty much always in a positive light unlike some of Arya and Sansa's thoughts of one another.

Jon is willing to sacrifice the ideals and oath of the Night's Watch to march on Winterfell. I don't think it's so much that Ramsey and Roose Bolton's men and supporters are there and doing the things stated in the pink letter (which I feel is mostly lies anyways, other than having Mance captive and flaying the spearwives) but rather because of his love for his little "sister" and wanting to save and/or find out what really happened with her. I find it interesting that he's not convinced and amazed about Melisandre's prophetic visions in the flame concerning the girl approaching in a snowstorm on dying horse but instead is pissed because it's not Arya and she can't tell him about her current fate.

When Arya decides to get rid of all of Arya Stark's worldly possessions by throwing them into the canals of Braavos she keeps and hides one thing: Needle. Not only does she always think of Jon because of it but also of his advice to her. Even Jon has thought about Needle and his advice about sticking them with the pointy end on multiple occasions.

Now I'm going off on a little side- tangent based on my own thoughts and branching into another end-game theory I have. All this talk about the dragon having 3 heads? I think that those 3 heads may wind up having their own 3 kingdoms to rule after everything is settled. Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen would fulfill his boyhood dreams AND carry out the explicit written decree of King Robb Stark and rule in Winterfell as King in the North. The southern half of Westeros would be ruled in King's Landing by Aegon (while I accept the possibility of fAegon and even A+J=T, I personally like the idea of Tyrion becoming Lord of Casterly Rock and Hand of the King in place of a dead Jon Connington with a well educated Aegon ruling). Finally, Daenerys would rule over Essos, continuing her path of ridding the world of slavery and controlling the same lands that her Valyrian forebears had once conquered, remembering who she is, not only a Targaryen but of the blood of old Valyria.

With that in mind, I could definitely see Jon marrying Arya as his queen. For one thing, I really doubt she stays her whole life with the Faceless Men. Also, they say there must always be a Stark in Winterfell and even with Lyanna as his mother Jon might be considered a Targaryen based on his father. By marrying a daughter of Eddard Stark he would ensure the line was continued through a trueborn heir of the male line. Now, Bran and Rickon may have something to say about that, but Bran isn't going to be able to produce heirs anyway (and I'm not sure his fate is on the up and up) and taking over the Dreadfort and all it's lands from an extinct House Bolton would be a pretty damn good consolation prize for a third son like Rickon.

What do you guys think? Does it seem like I'm onto something or that I'm on something? I just find way too much thinking about one another for them not to reunite in some way. Then again, maybe it's because the FM and Arya are contracted to kill Jon or another Northman and that's how they meet again. Who knows, other than GRR Martin himself. After all, until The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring come out everything we predict is just words and words are wind.

There is some foreshadowing done by Ned when he is talking to both Sansa and Arya in the Godswood of Kings Landing, where he tells Arya that her sons shall be kings and knights. Note that he tells this to Arya not Sansa who is still to marry Joffery at this point.

I am one of the few Arya/Jon shippers, and I definitely see them together at one point. However, I see why most people on this forum are upset about it, them being "siblings" or just thinking they are siblings/growing up as siblings. I don't think it is an issue, but most people do.

We will have to wait and see where GRRM intends to go with the storyline. There is definitely some foreshadowing, like the one mentioned (Ned tells Arya she will marry a king), and there is more.

If Arya ends up with someone, it has to be someone she chooses or at least accepts. And Jon is exactly the type of guy she would accept/love/trust/respect. I don't see any other male character in the story so far, who would stand a chance with her. No, not even Gendry.

I ship Arya with Podrick who is insanely brave in battle but not a domineering personality. I could see him being her type. I know it is out there and unproven, but I can see Tyrion becoming eventually a sort of king, and I think Podrick is his son by Tysha. ;)

Out there, I know.

I am really not into the idea of her ending up with Jon. Even if he is a cousin, emotionally he is her big brother and should stay that way.

Your theory would be more interesting if you didn't insist R+L=J. Why is that always a caveat?

So it would be more interesting if I thought half brother and sister would wind up together instead of cousins? I suppose it would be.

Honestly though, the whole R+L=J aspect of it ties into my secondary theory of the 3 heads. Regardless of whether or not Jon Snow is really Jon Targaryen, the King in the North did name him as his heir and successor in the event he died before producing an heir (which he did), so he could still be King in the North and take Arya as his queen. The only problem with that is the whole incest thing, which is supposedly frowned upon by the gods. That's why I include R+L as a caveat. Taking that away wouldn't make it impossible, just less likely in my opinion.

Since it's all just speculation anyways, why not include other theories, or at least ones that I believe to be likely based on the evidence in the text.

I am one of the few Arya/Jon shippers, and I definitely see them together at one point. However, I see why most people on this forum are upset about it, them being "siblings" or just thinking they are siblings/growing up as siblings. I don't think it is an issue, but most people do.

We will have to wait and see where GRRM intends to go with the storyline. There is definitely some foreshadowing, like the one mentioned (Ned tells Arya she will marry a king), and there is more.

If Arya ends up with someone, it has to be someone she chooses or at least accepts. And Jon is exactly the type of guy she would accept/love/trust/respect. I don't see any other male character in the story so far, who would stand a chance with her. No, not even Gendry.

Regardless of whether or not this theory pans out I agree with Arya winding up with someone of her choosing and not being in an arranged marriage. I remember a line about marrying a blacksmith or baker's (or was it innkeep's?) son though I can't recall the exact reference off the top of my head. I just don't see her ending up with Gendry or Hot Pie. From the way she thinks about everyone, you can tell that she definitely has more affection for Jon than either of them. There are times that she is quite angry with them and I can't remember her ever being mad at Jon.

On a side note, speaking of Hot Pie, I just reread ADWD and when Cersei is doing her walk of shame there's a cry in the crowd for meat pies and hot pies and whatnot. While I know the practice is probably fairly common, part of me likes to think that Hot Pie made it back to KL to avoid the fighting in the Riverlands and got a good eye full of the naked queen. I can picture the dumbfounded look and wide eyes on his face. Haha. Yeah, he's probably still at the Inn of the Kneeling Man, but the thought of it gave me a good chuckle.

Ned said that she would marry a king and her sons would be lords, knights, and princes but that line didn't make much sense. There was no king to marry. He was not talking about Jon because by this time Jon was either already in or going to the NW and Ned thinks the Baratheons are the rightful rulers not Targaryens.

The show changed it to lord maybe because that made more sense.

Jamie was not talking about Arya. He thinks Arya is dead and supported the "Arya" plot. Besides, that quote said for her to forget who she was and live in obscurity. The KM told her a small life would be good for her. He offered to give it to her and she rejected it. She does not want that. She also no longer thinks of Gendry and Hot Pie.

Based on his constantly blushing in her presence it would seem that Podrick likes Arya's sister. I don't see what makes them compatible really. He's brave in battle yes. His personality doesn't really mesh with Arya's and neither do his morals/principles and her lifestyle.

As for Jon they were raised together and even if they were apart they still would remember that familial bond this already happened in the text with Theon/Asha. Victarion also rejected the notion of marrying Asha because he remembered her as a child so it was weird for him.

Now sure she has no other male she cares for more than Jon but that doesn't mean that they will stop having the same relationship dynamic as before.

We also don't know if Jon will ever prove to the masses that he is not Ned's son. In other words the masses may still think that Jon marrying one of Ned's daughters is an incest abomination. Targs were on a different level. It was also a Valyrian custom expected of them and they were raised that way.

First off, this theory is pretty much dependent on R+L=J, making them cousins which is not so much considered incest around Westeros as is brother/sister (Jamie and Cersei) and father/daughter (Craster and his daughter-wives) or any similar couplings. Call this a crackpot theory if you will and sorry if it's been discussed before, but I really couldn't find anything from searching.

Wow, this thread took an ASOIAF-level twist. I thought you were just talking about them meeting up, not about them uniting in that way. I don't think Arya even had those kinds of feelings about anyone when she knew Jon. But they do say distance makes the heart grow fonder...

I don't ship it but I do ship Jon & Sansa (if Sansa tragically turns out to be hetero), so I'm not one to throw stones, certainly. And a lot of people consider Jon/Dany as a plausible endgame. Jon & Dany are related as well so it's not like you're unearthing something unheard of here.

I don't see Arya as a romantic character. She's the avenging angel, the assassin, the warrior.

Which makes me think, actually - has anyone ever tried matching the Starks to the Seven?

Ned and Cat might obviously be the father and mother. Bran would be the crone, Arya the warrior, Sansa the maiden. Robb and Rickon as smith and stranger? It might work.

Come to think of it....

If Jon really is Jon Targaryen, Rhaegar's rightful heir and Azor Ahai Reborn... and if the dragon needs three heads like the prophecy foretells...

I suppose Sansa and Arya must be Jon's two wives. If he wants to save the world, that is. O__O

I'd rather see Dany as Azor Ahai but alas, she has no brothers or sisters to marry. So she's screwed. :/

Yeah, I always thought there was an oddly romantic undertone to all of Jon and Arya's thoughts regarding each other.

Urgh, no, they love each other (as brother and sister), which is in stark (hahah) opposition to eg Jon and Sansa.

The Brotherhood without Banners are supposed to be a group of kings men, with that king being Robert Baratheon iirc. So they should legitimize Gendry to be a Baratheon making him Robert's heir which gives him some sort of claim to the throne. Then after some sort of crazy events Gendry sits the Iron Throne and brings the North back into the kingdom by marrying Arya. Then her children will be everything Ned promised.

Urgh, no, they love each other (as brother and sister), which is in stark (hahah) opposition to eg Jon and Sansa.

This is not exactly true. Both Jon and Sansa showed signs of love for each other. Should I mention the fact that Jon rejected WInterfell for Sansa, or that Sansa remembered him time after time throughout the series? They certainly aren't close as Jon and Arya, but to say that there is no sibling love between Jon and Sansa is plainly wrong.

And also, for OP, no. Jon/Arya is complete new level of wrongness and I don't see how GRRM might transform their brother/sister love into something romantic.

Which makes me think, actually - has anyone ever tried matching the Starks to the Seven?

Ned and Cat might obviously be the father and mother. Bran would be the crone, Arya the warrior, Sansa the maiden. Robb and Rickon as smith and stranger? It might work.

This was done too many times...

Archived