Did "Ice" ever go to war?

PrinceHenryris

Ned used it when storming Pyke. It's a 2 handed sword for anyone other that Gregor Clegane so using it from hoseback would not be likely, however storming a castle is an affair done on foot and thus Ice would probably be used whenever this is needed. Another instance would be the rebellion on Skagos only a few generations past when the story starts.

Ned used it when storming Pyke.

Show cannon is not book cannon. IIRC, It is never mentioned in the books if it was used at Pyke.

But it probably has been used before, I doubt it is just ceremonial when it is simply a better weapon than any other non-VS greatsword.

A 2 handed greatsword can be used in a variety of circumstances. If you're going to fight on foot, and you've got one made of Valyrian steel, you're definitely using it.

They'd probably use a longsword from horseback, but Ice on foot. Both would be taken on campaign.

Show cannon is not book cannon. IIRC, It is never mentioned in the books if it was used at Pyke.

But it probably has been used before, I doubt it is just ceremonial when it is simply a better weapon than any other non-VS greatsword.

I didn't realize that was only on the show, I actually got it from this forum. I guess I should not necessarily believe what people post on here but I find myself regularly doing it.

We're not sure. I'll give the counter argument and people can then guess for themselves.

The problem is that it's taller than a 14 year old Robb Stark. Average height for a fourteen y.o. boy is 5'5, and it's noticeably taller.. Despite being VS and therefore lighter than steel of the same size, it would still be difficult to wield for most people.

Plus you have to consider that it's a unique heirloom, and perhaps taking it off to war where it can easily lose it in various ways, such as being slain, it's not unreasonable to think Starks might prefer not to take it. We see how important it is for Ned as a ceremonial blade, and how he washes it by a heart tree - it has a religious connection to him on some level.

Look what happened when Ned took it to KL - and this was not to war or a place he'd expect to have it snatched.

In conclusion - we don't know, and there's a decent case against that's worth considering.

I'm sure some Starks used it in battle, but as yolkboy mentioned, the thing is pretty fucking big and impractical unless you yourself are equally big and impractical (The Mountain, Hound, Greatjon, Robby B levels of big). While Eddard could swing the sucker in an execution, I doubt knowing what we do about his size that he would use that thing in real combat. There had to have been a 6'6+ nutbar Stark at some point or another.

We're not sure. I'll give the counter argument and people can then guess for themselves.

The problem is that it's taller than a 14 year old Robb Stark. Could be upwards of 160cm. Average height for a fourteen y.o. boy is 5'5, and it's noticeably taller.. Despite being VS and therefore lighter than steel of the same size, it would still be difficult to wield for most people.

Why do people keep using this as evidence of it being too big to use? It's a standard 2-handed sword size. They would also only weigh in at 2-4 kilograms. Make that VS and it's even easier to wield.

Why do people keep using this as evidence of it being too big to use? It's a standard 2-handed sword size. They would also only weigh in at 2-4 kilograms. Make that VS and it's even easier to wield.

The largest "standard" 2 handed sword is a shade under 4 feet, and that's a big claymore.

Ice in its description is a Zweihander which was used for parade purposes because it was impractical as all hell and those were about 5'9-ish. I don't care how light VS is, that thing is too impractical and poorly balanced to be used by anybody not 6'6+

I don't think Ice has been in a war: but it could be a symbol of the current one.

The splitting of the Sword of Ice could be seen as symbolic of the Splitting of the Plantagenet Rose.

So whomever recombines the blades, if that even occurs, could be seen as a proper Tudor.

Although, that's only if you think the War of the Roses will continue to be an inspiration for the following stories.

The problem is that it's taller than a 14 year old Robb Stark. Could be upwards of 160cm. Average height for a fourteen y.o. boy is 5'5, and it's noticeably taller.. Despite being VS and therefore lighter than steel of the same size, it would still be difficult to wield for most people.

Plus you have to consider that it's a unique heirloom, and perhaps taking it off to war where it can easily lose it in various ways, such as being slain, it's not unreasonable to think Starks might prefer not to take it. We see how important it is for Ned as a ceremonial blade, and how he washes it by a heart tree - it has a religious connection to him on some level.

Look what happened when Ned took it to KL - and this was not to war or a place he'd expect to have it snatched.

In conclusion - we don't know, and there's a decent case against that's worth considering.

I found your mixing of metric and imperial measurements confusing so I did some conversions:

160cm = 5.25 ft (5'3"), which is shorter than 5'5" Robb Stark.

I found your mixing of metric and imperial measurements confusing so I did some conversions:

160cm = 5.25 ft (5'3"), which is shorter than 5'5" Robb Stark.

yeah 5'5 is 165cm i was going off faulty memory for that

I like to think he did. I imagine he was in charge of the reserve, he would have commanded from horseback, with a plain iron/steel arming sword at his waist. But when it was time to engage in combat, one of his guardsmen would pass him Ice after he had dismounted and he would charge with the infantry and other retainers.

In medieval warfare, a lot of lords did actually prefer to fight on foot. There's a lot of advantages as you can surround yourself with a competent personal guard, you don't have to worry about being thrown off your horse or over-extending into enemy formations. On top of that the infantry's morale is helped by seeing the Lord/King slogging with the rest of them.

As for two-handed swords, it's actually over-exaggerated how heavy they were, greatswords were only marginally heavier than arming swords (which weren't that heavy anyway). On top of this you have the benefit of using both hands and gravity is on your side for most swings. They're not even clumsy, because in close quarters you can grip the blade with one hand and use it like a short spear, this is called half-swording.

The largest "standard" 2 handed sword is a shade under 4 feet, and that's a big claymore.

Ice in its description is a Zweihander which was used for parade purposes because it was impractical as all hell and those were about 5'9-ish. I don't care how light VS is, that thing is too impractical and poorly balanced to be used by anybody not 6'6+

William Wallace's sword is still around. It was 6ft long. I do believe he was a huge man however.

Im not sure why the length of a sword makes it impractical for a person shorter than it apart from when unsheathing. People faught with 8ft long spears at least of all sizes for example.

William Wallace's sword is still around. It was 6ft long. I do believe he was a huge man however.

Im not sure why the length of a sword makes it impractical for a person shorter than it apart from when unsheathing. People faught with 8ft long spears at least of all sizes for example.

Spears are comparably thinner than swords, and are used specific to pierce, whereas a sword that large I'd imagine needs a hefty amount of acceleration before it would exert enough force to cut through a man skin or between his bones.

Then again, Valerian Steel is light.

Archived