Did "Ice" ever go to war?

PrinceHenryris

Momentum is the product of mass and velocity. Adding mass is likely to reduce the velocity you can produce, since your muscles are finite. Increasing the mass of a sword is thus contrary to the purpose, as it would just be more tiring to swing, with little or no payoff.

A sword is a cutting/piercing tool. As such, it doesn't rely on momentum in the same way a polearm, mace or warhammer does. Keeping weight down is actually preferrable, as long as the strength and cutting/piercing ability of the weapon stays the same.

Yes, it was probably used in war, there is nothing to really suggest otherwise.

This is a book series involving magic and dragons. Swords weren't as useful against full plate as they are in the books for example, because these are books. Fantasy books. Full of fantasy.

Don't over think something that is, essentially, aesthetic.

Yes, it was probably used in war, there is nothing to really suggest otherwise.

This is a book series involving magic and dragons. Swords weren't as useful against full plate as they are in the books for example, because these are books. Fantasy books. Full of fantasy.

Don't over think something that is, essentially, aesthetic.

Welcome to the board, Rehn!

I agree! Great first post!

At the beginning of Game, Robb's described as being shorter than Joffrey. As Joffrey is never described as being really tall Robb would definitely be below the average height for his age.

Arys Oakhart mentioned something like the only good qualities Joff had were being tall and strong for his age.

Both Jon and Robb must be under 1,77m (5'10 I think it is). Stannis and Tycho towered above Jon (in my version it's stated that Tycho was 20 cm taller than Jon, but I don't know if that's in the original). And Joffrey, at 12, was taller than Robb.

• 1 year later...

It seems to be analogous to Heartsbane, which Randyl Tarly carried with him to battle (Cat sees it when Randyl is with Renly). We also know that the real "Savage Sam Tarly" used the greatsword in battle, which "was said to be red from hilt to point after the dozens of Dornishmen he cut down in the course of the Vulture Hunt, as the chase after the Vulture King became known."

Ned and Robb may or may not be capable of using it effectively, but there were presumably historical Starks that would wield the blade.

Archived