NFL 2014 Offseason: free agent frenzy winds down

DanteGabriel

Thurmond would be an excellent haul at the price he's expected to go for. 2m per year for someone who can do a great job against everyone. He's not a shutdown corner but plays man and zone well.

Man, that secondary of the ducks was ducking awesome.

Thurmond would be an excellent haul at the price he's expected to go for. 2m per year for someone who can do a great job against everyone. He's not a shutdown corner but plays man and zone well.

Man, that secondary of the ducks was ducking awesome.

I know right, it's crazy to think about. Thurmond, Ward, and Byrd all played their careers at Oregon the same time I was going there. So I have always had a special place in my heart for them (and any Duck, but especially those I got to see play in person).

And now for yet ANOTHER reason to fucking hate Jay Cutler:

http://defamer.gawker.com/reality-star-idiot-kristin-cavallari-refuses-to-vacci-1544086342

From the article:

"Results from a test that was developed to see if not vaccinating your children turns them into overpaid pussies were inconclusive."

I will forever be a Cutler apologist, but not for this. What a couple dipshits.

Julius Peppers signed a 3-year, $30 million deal with the goddamned Packers. Really, Pep? Really?

On one hand, the Packers now have to deal with the salary cap issues an over the hill DE brings but at the same time, for a physical specimen like Peppers, over the hill still can be pretty damned good when you have Clay Matthews taking up a lot of attention.

It will be funny to see how fast Chicago turns on him (I don't get on twitter but the Bears subreddit looks sort of like a dumpster fire started by a jealous ex right now).

Would like to see my Texans draft Clowney and sign Wilfork to play next to Watt. Although after the Ed Reed fiasco, I'm wary of signing aging vets

IMO when you have a strength (Watt), you add players to maximize that strength. Last year Watt was consistently swallowed up by 2-3 blockers.

Julius Peppers signed a 3-year, $30 million deal with the goddamned Packers. Really, Pep? Really?

On one hand, the Packers now have to deal with the salary cap issues an over the hill DE brings but at the same time, for a physical specimen like Peppers, over the hill still can be pretty damned good when you have Clay Matthews taking up a lot of attention.

It will be funny to see how fast Chicago turns on him (I don't get on twitter but the Bears subreddit looks sort of like a dumpster fire started by a jealous ex right now).

That's pretty egregious. Luckily, the AFC South is horrible and Colts fans don't often have to worry about defectors.

Would like to see my Texans draft Clowney and sign Wilfork to play next to Watt. Although after the Ed Reed fiasco, I'm wary of signing aging vets

IMO when you have a strength (Watt), you add players to maximize that strength. Last year Watt was consistently swallowed up by 2-3 blockers.

Big question about Wilfork though is what he can do. He wasn't playing well to begin the year and coming off an Achilles injury he isn't going to be the same player for a while (if ever). With the two CB signings they made, I think he backs down some on the restructuring and they all hug it out in the end. He'll have more help with the revamped 2ndary and if everyone comes back healthy they should be overall better because of the pick ups.

The biggest issue with Peppers, that I read about, was that he appeared to have lost that first, explosive step off the line and that limited his effectiveness tremendously. His best games, I thought, were against weak or injured tackles; against tackles who are established, he was very poor. I think GB was hoping to recapture some magic, but I don't think Pep is "that guy" any more.

So, the Wilfork issue continues to grind up here in NE. There are a lot of questions, but one is IF Wilfork is released, where will he land? Buried in that question is this: who would want him and for how much more than the Pats are offering IF they restructure his deal (which would involve taking the $7 Mil guaranteed in 2014, convert it to a signing bonus, then pro-rate that cap hit over an extended contract for 3 years, and in doing so pay Vince less for those "extended" years)?

The "canary-in-the-coal-mine" is B.J. Raji. Raji TURNED DOWN a $8 Million dollar per-year contract with the Packers so he could test the free-agent waters. The result? Raji just resigned with the Packers for .... $4 Million (and incentives that would boost it up to $6.5 Mil max). In other words, a younger and healthier Nose Tackle on a playoff-caliber team .... was basically told he's not important enough to get paid as much as Donte Whitner, Luck Joeckel, Josh Scobee (kicker), and Chad Henne (perpetual Back-up QB) and only slightly more than Britton Colquit (punter, Denver).

Now, do not mistake me: historically speaking Wilfork is better. And he's much tougher (the knock against Raji is that he's soft and he plays soft). But .... its NOT 'apples and oranges."

VInce's contract would be for $7.5 million, and a cap hit of $11.6 (which would go down to $4.1 if the Pats cut him). Now, Vince is nobody's dummy. I do not think he would have raised this stink if he did not think there was a market out there for him. But who could pay and how much can they pay for a guy on the wrong side of 30 coming off an Achilles injury?

Houston? Well, the head coach is a former Pats guy and the Def Coordinator is former Pats def cor, Romeo Crennell. Its definitely possible. But how much $$$$ does Houston have to spend and are they willing to wait? And the Reed thing HAS to weigh heavy on them right now. Given Vince's lack of production even before the injury, its gotta be a tough sell.

ETA: I just looked at Houston's numbers etc. This is JJ Watt's last year under contract- he's a n UFA in 2015. So, if you are the Texans you DO NOT want to tie up too much money for 2015 because you may need a LOT of it to sign J.J. OPtherwise, he could land on a team... in contention... with an established coach... and who will juuuuuuuuusst be getting rid of a very expensive corner-back. And who just got rid of Vince Wilfork.

So, Pats signed Brandon LaFell, slot receiver.

Then just to make sure, Pats resigned Edelman, just to make sure they cornered the market on slot receivers.

No complaints about either signing. I assume after visiting 2 teams, Edelman knew his value was minimal. Pats, IIRC, got him for just over $1 Mil a year.

Kenny Britt is set to visit the Pats Sunday.

Ugh Thurmond to the Giants. If that's it for the meaningful part of free agency, I'm giving the Skins a C-. They had a bunch of cap space but I'm not sure they used it effectively. They did nothing to address their glaring weakness in the secondary despite deep safety and CB free agent classes. What are they going to do now? Draft another 3 DBs who, like all young DBs, only learn by becoming burnt toast? They also brought in 3 O-linemen which is good theoretically but all graded out poorly last year and I'm not sure Will Montgomery, who they just cut, isn't better than all of them. My best hope is we give up some killer run-blocking for a more stout pass-blocking group - the guys brought in at least are bigger. But can they play? Think that's the very open question. I'm also concerned about overpays (though the Hatcher deal actually looks quite team friendly.)

The one thing I did like is they emphasized shoring up the pass rush (franchising Orakpo, bringing in Hatcher). They also did a decent job retaining their own (i.e.: Hall, Riley) for continuity sake. However I'm not sure that continuity should have included Jim Haslett. Just left hoping like hell Bruce Allen knows what he's doing because that too is a very open question.

Ugh Thurmond to the Giants. If that's it for the meaningful part of free agency, I'm giving the Skins a C-. They had a bunch of cap space but I'm not sure they used it effectively. They did nothing to address their glaring weakness in the secondary despite deep safety and CB free agent classes. What are they going to do now? Draft another 3 DBs who, like all young DBs, only learn by becoming burnt toast? They also brought in 3 O-linemen which is good theoretically but all graded out poorly last year and I'm not sure Will Montgomery, who they just cut, isn't better than all of them. My best hope is we give up some killer run-blocking for a more stout pass-blocking group - the guys brought in at least are bigger. But can they play? Think that's the very open question. I'm also concerned about overpays (though the Hatcher deal actually looks quite team friendly.)

Pretty much feel the same about the Niners free agent moves. They lost a fair amount of talent in the secondary (Whitner, Rogers and Brown) and seemed content to pick up project players primarily (Gabbert and Chris Cook). Guess they're going to have to go for a CB early in the draft.

Archived