GOODKIND VII, The sword of truthiness

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I'll not bother to comment on the poor writing...

kahlan is obviously some kind of forensics expert - she seems able to determine rather a lot about the motives of each killing from just a cursory glance at the corpses... my guess is that some of her memories of Richard are beginning to surface.

as for these acts of barbarism - pretty standard for an invading army aren't they? There are many examples of such brutality in history - when a town was captured such brutality was quite common, examples would ionclude most of the crusades and large chunks of the 100 years war....

sure they are unpleasant, but things that only the monsterous enemy would do???? No, I'm sure Richards army would do similar if they captured an enemy town or city. Soldiers (particularly those invoplved in sieges) got frustrated and liked to "vent" upon victory.

You know, I'm actually rooting for this miniseries to happen. There's no way I'll ever read any of Goodkind's books, but seeing some of this stuff translated to the screen would be amazing. My only fear is that all of the "good" stuff will be left out. I really want to see the blunt face mountain with a path through the middle, or however that sentence went.

These projects have a way of fizzling out though.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I'll not bother to comment on the poor writing...

kahlan is obviously some kind of forensics expert - she seems able to determine rather a lot about the motives of each killing from just a cursory glance at the corpses... my guess is that some of her memories of Richard are beginning to surface.

as for these acts of barbarism - pretty standard for an invading army aren't they? There are many examples of such brutality in history - when a town was captured such brutality was quite common, examples would ionclude most of the crusades and large chunks of the 100 years war....

sure they are unpleasant, but things that only the monsterous enemy would do???? No, I'm sure Richards army would do similar if they captured an enemy town or city. Soldiers (particularly those invoplved in sieges) got frustrated and liked to "vent" upon victory.

Not to mention it was useful to keep the local population in line after the slaughter ended...

I think that Richard will probably order that every civilian be spared ("see how good my avatar is?"), but every Jagang soldier will be put to the slaughter...

Zadok;

it makes me wonder just how many projects are created that are so bad it's funny. I hope somewhere someone collects whatever material of it remains...

Goodkind seems to be trying to say "Look, the Soviet Union's Imperial Order's beliefs are bad because they let otherwise decent people justify atrocities", but his own protoganists use their own beliefs to do exactly the same thing.

But...But...But, they started it.

Boil down his, agressor makes the rules line of reasoning, and it brings you to the 3 year old logic.

Do we really still not know what the Imperial Order are fighting for, other than general evil communism? Are they trying to spread communism by murdering everyone, including the piles of babies like autumn leaves? Or are they just killing everyone for the sake of Evil? Oh no, it can't be that, cos that would be Fantasy - TG (BBHN) doesn't write dark lords who are dark for the sake of it, he writes bad guys who have real motivations. Duh.

So, er, this is because they are in the service of the Keeper? Who is evil because...?

I think that Richard will probably order that every civilian be spared (see how good my avatar is?), but every Jagang soldier will be put to the slaughter...

Well, he did spare the Blood of the Fold after capturing them in the Battle for Andryll. After they repeated the Dharan chant of loyalty.

I think a SOT flavoured Clockwork Orange would work well. Alex could show the authorities that attempting to restrict his life is in fact evil. He could show them by tolchocking them real good until the krovy flows.

We have one in this very thread, actually. A few pages back, and it was real horrorshow. Lemme find the linky-link.

Also, Moose. To quote Old School "You're Crazy, man! Crazy!"

Searching for the link... and here it is.

QotD rating: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

@BrantheBuilder:

Yep, standard conqueror behaviour after a siege. Interesting though if you consider the atrocities committed by US soldiers in Vietnam, they should be labelled as servants of death...

@MinDonner:

Imho, the IO is only there so Richard&co can murder, torture, and rape them at their leasure.

Do we really still not know what the Imperial Order are fighting for, other than general evil communism? Are they trying to spread communism by murdering everyone, including the piles of babies like autumn leaves? Or are they just killing everyone for the sake of Evil? Oh no, it can't be that, cos that would be Fantasy - TG (BBHN) doesn't write dark lords who are dark for the sake of it, he writes bad guys who have real motivations. Duh.

So, er, this is because they are in the service of the Keeper? Who is evil because...?

As much as the Imperial Order represents communism, at heart they are a religion. All that they do, all the suffering and murder and communism is in the greater service of the Creator. At some time I'll post some of the gibberish that explains how in this life you are only meant to serve the order for the greater good of disgusting and debased humans so you can gain an eternity in the Creators kingdom in the next life. Nicci gives about five pages explaining all this in phantom, but I don't have the strength to quote it today.

[...] they are a religion. All that they do, all the suffering and murder [...] is in the greater service of the Creator. [...] in this life you are only meant to serve the order for the greater good of disgusting and debased humans so you can gain an eternity in the Creators kingdom in the next life.

So... subtle. I wonder who... hmm.. what allegorical... no no.. it's beyond me.

Imho, the IO is only there so Richard&co can murder, torture, and rape them at their leasure.

Hey now, Richard and co haven't raped anybody. Yet. So far they are only about torture and murder, sex crimes are the defining mark of the bad guys.

[mod hat]

Please use standard Spoiler tag when quoting from the latest release, or when discussing the material from the latest book.

[/mod hat]

[mod hat]

Please use standard Spoiler tag when quoting from the latest release, or when discussing the material from the latest book.

[/mod hat]

Would it be acceptable to simply have the subtitle of the thread warn of spoilers, cuz its going to be mostly Phantom for the rest of the thread, both quotes and discussion. That, and I don't think too many people here are actually planning to ever read it.

No, MinDonner, Communism is just a red herring...

And even with Mad Moose's claims above to their true motives, are those really motives?

As much as the Imperial Order represents communism, at heart they are a religion. All that they do, all the suffering and murder and communism is in the greater service of the Creator. At some time I'll post some of the gibberish that explains how in this life you are only meant to serve the order for the greater good of disgusting and debased humans so you can gain an eternity in the Creators kingdom in the next life.

Or is that really a motive that isn't a motive?

[mod hat]

[/mod hat]

Wow, this brings up a seriously deep thought.

Why do they put an expiration date on sour cream? Can mushrooms go bad? Can sh*t rot?

We are all anxious to know what happens in Phantom, while not having to read it. Thus creating a demand for the book, while simultaneously being repulsed by it. Is it then possible to spoil something that no one wants to actually wants to read?

Would it be acceptable to simply have the subtitle of the thread warn of spoilers, cuz its going to be mostly Phantom for the rest of the thread, both quotes and discussion. That, and I don't think too many people here are actually planning to ever read it.

Yes, if the thread title explicitly states that there'll be spoilers for Phantom, then it'll be okay. So ask Werthead or Polaris to change the title.

Actually we don't care about the plot (is there one?) or how the story ends. We just want somebody who has read it to quote the worst bits from it so we can marvel at the awfulness of it and wonder yet again how it is TG gets away with writing this stuff and being paid for it.

But this is a public forum and somebody who might not want to know anything that happens (no matter how minor and absurd we might find it to be) may read it. I think a spoiler warning in this thread title would be sufficient, so if Polaris can sort that out then surely there will be no problem and no need to black out the whole QotD which would be annoying. Right?

Mad Moose, I'm surprised you didn't include the return of one of our most evil characters *ever* in your QOTD :rofl:

Are you laying claim to this evil character as being yours? Are you TG in disguise? :huh:

Archived