What are you listening to? Vol XII: Everybody has a different way to view the world

Ferrum Aeternum

Who doesn't like Blake? :P

People with no taste? Then again iIRC, getting you to dig William Bolcom's complete setting of the Songs of Innocence and Experience may be a stretch :)

Btw, I have been meaning to ask you if your display name derives from her:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theda_Bara

It seems likely, but one can never be sure. It is noteworthy that she was one of the few successful silent film stars who never made a sound film.

Going through my old Youtube favourites and rediscovering some fantastic gems.

Type O Negative - Pictures of Matchstick Men (demo)

Fucking FANTASTIC cover and song in its own right, don't know why it was never released??? It's SO good.

Which of course brings me to:

Status Quo - Pictures of Matchstick Men

And digging deeper into the memory vaults I find

Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face

Julie Cruise - Falling (Twin Peaks Song)

Ivan Rebroff - Song of the Volga Boatman

The man as fantastic, he had a four and a half octave range. Amazing. I remember when I first heard this song I had to keep replaying and replaying. I think I might have even teared up a bit due to how fucking immense his voice is.

Jacques Brel Le Moribond

I'm quite eclectic, lol.

Lainie Kazan - South of my Border

from the film Lust in the Dust, a hilarious western spoof with Divine (my hero)

Which brings me to Divine's song from the film:

Divine - These Lips

I love Divine so much it's unreal

Parov Stelar - Libella Swing

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to listen to this song and NOT dance.

Another song it's impossible not to want to dance to:

Emiliana Torrini - Jungle Drum

Next on the list

The Chameleons - Swamp Thing

Stellar post punk. Fantastic band and song, sits safely in my ''songs that make my heart hurt'' spotify playlist.

I'm so enjoying going through all my old Youtube favourites and making sure to keep all this stuff in various Spotify playlists so I don't forget about it.

Hasil Adkins - No More Hot Dogs

Grand father of Psychobilly????

Love this guy.

The Cramps - Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon

On a completely different note, here's

Jenny Hval - How Gentle

I love this woman, she creates such beautiful, ethereal music.

Another completely other worldly and spectacular song:

Goldfrapp - Utopia

Now to an underrated synthpop gem

Kuruki - Crocodile Tears

Can't believe i'd almost forgotten about a few of these more obscure ones!

Completely different song

Chase and Status, White Lies - Embrace

Really neat song. Big fan of White Lies for being a great post-punk revival band and chase and status make this sound pretty damn anthemic.

now for a bit of punk

Boris The Sprinkler - Weird Tattoo

bis - KILL YR BOYFRIEND!

And last but certainly not least ...

The wonderfully bonkers Bobby Conn

Bobby Conn - Without You

I drove my Dad fucking mad at one point because I kept playing this song over and over in the kitchen (where the family computer is)

This is probably one of the few things I have my ex to thank for, for introducing me to my life long love of Bobby Conn. LOL.

Seriously though, watch the video it's one of the most fucking bizarre things ever, love it.

Theda: don't get me started on Jaques Brel---I might post dozens of songs :) I started listening to Brel about thirty years ago and decided that I really liked what I was hearing. One might think of him as a French Bob Dylan (well, sort of) ---or Dylan as an American Jacques Brel, save that Brel was a better singer with a somewhat better voice.

Theda: don't get me started on Jaques Brel---I might post dozens of songs :) I started listening to Brel about thirty years ago and decided that I really liked what I was hearing. One might think of him as a French Bob Dylan (well, sort of) ---or Dylan as an American Jacques Brel, save that Brel was a better singer with a somewhat better voice.

:)

I confess I don't know much of his work, will have to have a proper listen because I love that song I linked.

"...Corporate parents, corporate towns
I know every TV set that has them lit
They preach that I should save the world
They pray that I won't do a better job of it
Pray that I won't do a better job
So tonight I turned your station on just so I'd be understood
Instead another voice said I was just too late
And just no good...."

I declare today Misfits listening day. I was listening to Skulls on repeat last night (hence the av/title change) and now it's rainy and gross and I just want to stay in my office with headphones on. American Psycho on right now; Static Age on deck, followed by Walk Among Us.

I maintain that the Misfits and Danzig in particular are deeply silly people, but man is it fun to wallow in the schlock sometimes.

Archived