Popular theories you hope WON'T be proved

WeddinGuest

I kind of misread the title when I first saw it, I thought you were asking for things that we hope we never know the truth regarding, but you seem to be asking which theories do you want to be proved wrong. I don't want any theory to be wrong, because despite his flaws as a writer I want George to take the series down the path he feels is best. As for what answers I don't want, anything regarding Aegon, I don't care if he's really Rhaegar's son or not, only whether the characters in the book believe the claim.

I sincerely hope Sandor = Gravedigger at the QI won't be confirmed in the books. I.e. he won't enter the stage again.

I just love it the way it is right now, tbh. A fairly open, mysterious, somewhat happy and non-cliché kind of ending. Plus (AFAIK) Sandor being the very first character who's still alive and at the same time has completed his character arc from a tormented and hateful mind to a redeemed and forgiving one.

From a literary standpoint, as it is now it's perfect in its little bubble, IMO. Unconventional, but brilliant. And I can dream, can't I? :)

I kind of misread the title when I first saw it, I thought you were asking for things that we hope we never know the truth regarding, but you seem to be asking which theories do you want to be proved wrong. I don't want any theory to be wrong, because despite his flaws as a writer I want George to take the series down the path he feels is best. As for what answers I don't want, anything regarding Aegon, I don't care if he's really Rhaegar's son or not, only whether the characters in the book believe the claim.

Actually, your first take isn't that far off from the intent of this topic. While some of the theories I mentioned are obviously going to be proven wrong or right at some point, there's no way to really DISprove the many hidden Targ theories. I'm sure GRRM can end the series without any Big Reveal that Tyrion, Jaime, or Cersei definitely were or weren't Tywin's biological children. Jojen paste may be never proved either way if, for example, Jojen never shows up in the story again. I also doubt the Robb-love potion theory will be actually disproved, I doubt GRRM will address it again, though he has stated that Jeyne Westerling DOES still have a role to play in the story.

Same with "Aegon VI", I actually do think that keeping his true identity under wraps would make for an interesting literary direction. Because not all such mysteries are "solved" even in real history. For example, the question of who actually killed the Lindbergh baby. The official story was that Bruno Hauptmann did it, but a lot of people theorized that Hauptmann was railroaded, and the real killer was someone else, or even that Lindbergh himself killed his own son, either accidentally or not, and framed Hauptmann for it. (The fact that Lindbergh was actually a racist, Nazi-sympathizing jerk who essentially abandoned his wife later in his life likely helped spur on these rumors.) And yet, though the Conventional Wisdom for years was that Hauptmann was innocent, it seems many modern historians these days actually do think that (1) yes, he was railroaded and didn't get a fair trial and (2) he probably was guilty, and even a fair trial would have had the same outcome.

Then again, most theories will outlast ADOS for the simple reason that the author won't resolve mysteries that were never actually there.

Good point, you are wise.

We all just think about this stuff way too much and have too long between books. It reminds me of what happened between the fourth and fifth Harry Potter books.

I think Rickon is a horrible candidate to rule winterfell, because all he's proved so far is that he's a budding nutcase. That said, he'd be ahead of Arya in the line of succession, just by dint of being male. This is a patriarchal society set in a semi-medieval/feudal setting.

In my "likely to die" scale, I don't think it's likely for Arya, but it's not out of the realm of possibility either.

Also agree with you - I want Aegon to be fAegon.

My #1 is any variant "Arya will die". NO. NON. NOPE. NEIN. NYET. NOT FUCKING HAPPENING. I abjure this whole idea ! :fencing:

(I simply do not want it.)

Many people seem to call for Rickon as the next / eventual lord of Winterfell. I do not think Rickon a good candidate to rule Winterfell, compared to all the other still-alive Starks. (Of course, it's still better to have any Stark than a non-Stark.)

As well, I prefer the "Aegon is fake" option over the "Aegon is real" option.

I think Rickon is a horrible candidate to rule winterfell, because all he's proved so far is that he's a budding nutcase. That said, he'd be ahead of Arya in the line of succession, just by dint of being male. This is a patriarchal society set in a semi-medieval/feudal setting.

In my "likely to die" scale, I don't think it's likely for Arya, but it's not out of the realm of possibility either.

Also agree with you - I want Aegon to be fAegon.

I don't see Arya dying ;)

Archived