Popular theories you hope WON'T be proved

WeddinGuest

Theon Durden is the theory that Theon has developed multiple personalities and is unknowingly responsible for the murders of the Boltons' men at Winterfell, and that he himself may be the hooded man he encounters there. Sorry, can't help with GNC, I'm in the dark there too.

Grand Northern Conspiracy. Theory that once Stannis crushes the Boltons, his Northern allies will betray him, and crown Jon King in the North.

Theon Durden is the theory that Theon has developed multiple personalities and is unknowingly responsible for the murders of the Boltons' men at Winterfell, and that he himself may be the hooded man he encounters there. Sorry, can't help with GNC, I'm in the dark there too.

Great Northern Conspiracy :)

"The Northern Lords are aware of Robb Stark's will and are playing Stannis and Ramsey against each other with the goal of crowning Robb's heir-declarant Jon Snow as King in the North"

Edit: ninja'd

Edit2: For anyone wondering about the Theon Durden reference -> Stop reading these forums. Sign out. Go and watch the movie Fight Club. Now.

GNC is the theory that the principal Northern Lords that appear loyal to the new Warden Roose Bolton are in fact actually health nuts with an underground distribution system of dietary supplements and muscle mass enhancement formulas. They plan to enrich themselves by making the smallfolk RIPPED, washboard stomachs all around, and thus an elite fighting force when called into action as a levy.

Wait, no I'm confusing GNC with GNC.

General Nutrition Center Great Northern Conspiracy.

Secret cabal of Northern Lords plotting Stark Restoration right under Bolton's nose. There are several variations on what the endgame of the GNC is, but at minimum it's overthrowing the Boltons and Restoring The Starks to Winterfell. They may or may not ALSO be continuing the fight for Northern Independence (and thus would be looking to use Stannis in the short term and backstab him later). Opinion is also divided on whether the focal Stark figure is Jon, as per Robb's Will, or Rickon, as strongly suggested by Manderly's own admissions to Davos in Davos' last POV chapter. Manderly is obviously a main figure and the Glovers are also on board. Lady Dustin is mostly thought on board but it is also theorized she may have her own separate but partially compatible agenda.

Obviously there is a plot of some sort. Manderly told us. GNC, however, generally implies that the conspiracy is wide, complex, and deep, and at almost illuminati levels (i.e. virtually every northern lord EXCEPT Bolton is in on it) and goes beyond the mere implications of that last Davos chapter; i.e. simple coup and restoring the Starks.

- Any theory that detracts from a character's agency in favor of attributing his/her motivations to magical reasons (love poisons, Mel mind warping the guys who stabbed Jon, etc.)

- Jon and Dany becoming romantically involved

- Any of Tywin's children being secret Targs

- Jon becoming a dragon rider

- Jon being accepted by the 7 Kingdoms as Rhaegar's legitimate heir and welcomed as a long lost heir, with him embracing his Targ heritage

In order, from least to most annoying:

Jojen paste.

Jon/Dany ship.

Robb's love potion, or Tywin somehow planning the whole thing which would make him a friggin greenseer.

Any secret Targ more than Jon, and especially Tyrion.

The Secret Targ theories are really getting out of hand.

So are the Warging theories. Is there any animals mentioned that hasn't been subjected to a warg theory?

Some of the dead people not being dead theories are ridiculous too. My favourite is that Qhorin Half-Hand is actually Rhaegar.

The three I hate (and for pretty much the same reason):

1. (F)Aegon being the son of Illyrio and Serra and its Blackfye/Brightflame variation. I happen to think that Aegon is Rhaegar's son, but there is enough question that if Aegon turns out to be fake I won't be upset. However, if Aegon is a Blackfyre I hope it is just because his father is Illyrio and his mother the Pentoshi princess. The reason is that the other two versions are so convoluted that they would push the story into three books, rather than the two planned.

2. Dance with Dragons 2.0 is a civil war. Really, if there are only going to be two more books, the Dance with Dragons 2.0 needs to be a battle and not another war.

3. The High Sparrow is a religious fanatic who is looking to start a holy war. Again, this would be a huge expansion of the story necessitating a third book. I hope the High Sparrow is just one of the pieces that help Aegon come to the throne quickly.

As it stands, all the current elements of the story can be wrapped up in two books. But these three theories create entirely new story lines. So I don't like them.

As it stands, all the current elements of the story can be wrapped up in two books. But these three theories create entirely new story lines. So I don't like them.

I feel like the remaining books are only really going to cover the initial battles in Westeros with Dany/Aegon's armies, and the battle against the others....

I think the "ending" will still be building up credible threats to the throne, implying that the "Game of Thrones" never actually ends.... and at best, it will only be delayed a bit, as people unite against something worse (The White Walkers).

@ the Thread topic.. The two main theories I would like to not be proved:

1. Syrio Forel is alive.

2. Syrio Forel is dead.

I think his character is actually a better story without knowing his fate....

EDIT: I'll add a third...

1.Daenarys is AAR.... She's not exactly the "sword swinging" type.... I'd find her suddenly going all Xena, Warrior Princess with a lightsaber to be pretty hamfisted writing.

Victarion as a Dragonrider, Victarion as Dany's husband, or Tyrion as Dany's husband. Just...no.

Also, any Lannister being a Targaryen cheapens the story.

Any situation where this becomes a song of Jon and Jon, featuring Jon Stark and Jon Targaryen and Jon Snow. If it becomes centralised on just him (or any one character) i am out

Reviving this to state that I really don't like theories that have either LF or Varys being completely omniscient and knowing about everything that everyone is plotting, or somehow managing to manipulate everyone else into doing their bidding. Yes, they're both great players, but they're not superhuman. GRRM has even stated that Varys had no idea that Doran Martell had secretly betrothed Arianne to Viserys.

One such theory is that "Varys set up the whole Tywin/Tyrion confrontation, even more than what we see in canon", especially the version that has him planting Shae in an unwitting Tywin's bed, therefore totally removing the significance of Tywin being such a hypocrite about whores. I also recall posters supporting the "Tywin pre-planned Robb falling for Jeyne" using the assumption that he knew Robb would storm the Crag "because of Varys".

I guess I just don't like the idea of any one character having an extreme amount of influence on the plot, that has others just being relegated to pawns of that one character.

R + L = J.

I really like Jon. I do. I do have hopes that he'll still be around to make a change at the Wall, but this theory (interesting as it is) has allowed too many people to see Jon as some kind of god. It's not ASOIAF, it's the Jon Show, kind of thing.

this

Any secret Targ, even Jon Snow.

The GNC as well.

Azor Ahai not being more than one person.

The story revolving entirely around Jon Snow.

Azor Ahai was one person, the story is about two people, and he is never coming back. Someone may fill the role in some way, but I hate the whole come again thing. "It's him, it's him, he has returned, and has not a single memory of Azor. But still it's him or her. Ok a totally different person than him, but he has come again, cause he is fighting the Others instead of just getting slaughtered, tis a miracle."

Idk if some of the theories here are that popular but here we go:

Syrio lives(being jaqen or not). Hate that one.

Rhaegar lives. Beyond awful.

Any of Tywin's kids are actually targs. Ugh!

rickon being the stark in winterfell at the end.

Victarion or Euron dragonriders.

Jon/Dany

Jeyne pregnant. Ugh 2.0!

Aegon being really aegon

Dany being queen of the it at the end.

Dont want any other dragons to be appear.

Arya, jaime or davos dying. No. Just no.

Archived