Popular theories you hope WON'T be proved

WeddinGuest

Seems people want Jon's ending to avoid the "lost true king restored to his throne/Aragorn" trope as well as the "gives up throne because doesn't feel worth/for the greater good" trope. So inevitably his story will end in a trope. Tropes aren't bad and there is nothing wrong with using them. Some are cliché, but others are how to make a good story.

Sarcasm is a really problem for me on this forum. Can we come up with a secret sign for it?

In most text-based circles and subtitles for the deaf, it's denoted with (!), and on some forums where colour is being used in text, they mark sarcasm in blue.

The Darkstar is working with Doran theory is really starting to annoy me. Like Doran the super cautious over planner would risk cutting Myrcella's face half off. She could get an infection!

And I would be really pissed at him if he were still lying to Arianne. But I'm a fan girl.

Then you might like my theory then:http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/105845-dawns-future-danys-demise/

Tyrion Targaryen (or any of Tywin's children, for that matter)

Jonerys

Syrio Forel alive (or at least Syrio = Jaqen)

Moqorro = Marwyn

Sansa the "SuperPlayer"

This. Don't know what Jonerys is but I'll go with it. :-)

Other theories that I hope are wrong

Benjen alive

Ashara/Arthur alive

Tywin being the master planner of Robb/Jeyne's wedding

Maggy the Frog: especially Tommen dying and Tyrion or Jaime killing Cersei

I don't really care for any of the prophecies in the book so I guess my hope is that most of the prophecies will turn out to be either unimportant or unfulfilled (at least not literally)

This. Don't know what Jonerys is but I'll go with it. :-)

Other theories that I hope are wrong

Benjen alive

Ashara/Arthur alive

Tywin being the master planner of Robb/Jeyne's wedding

Maggy the Frog: especially Tommen dying and Tyrion or Jaime killing Cersei

I don't really care for any of the prophecies in the book so I guess my hope is that most of the prophecies will turn out to be either unimportant or unfulfilled (at least not literally)

Jonerys= Jon and Dany getting married.

Really, almost any time a thread starts off with some variation of "This may sound crazy, but hear me out" I brace myself. I love that people are so enthusiastic and read so attentively, and it is amazing what details people seem to have at their fingertips. I completely understand the satisfaction of being able to say "I saw that coming," but it can get to a point where it's almost like you're trying to spoil yourself. So, no, I refuse to believe that Tyrion is a Targ. Or that Varys is behind virtually everything. Or that Syrio is alive. Or that Roose is in cahoots with the Others. Or that Tormund's member is the Hooded Man or Howland Reed or even all that extraordinary in its dimensions.

Stannis, Jon or Dany being AA.

Arya killing Sansa, it's just wrong!

Any more ruddy secret Targaryens. I'll accept Jon (grudgingly, I'll be happy if it comes out that he's not...although I can't think of a better explanation) and Aegon and maybe Darkstar...but no more!

Ser Robert Strong having anything to do with Ned Stark.

Shireen or Tommen dying.

Jon and Dany marrying and living happily ever after. Oh please...it's stuff like this that makes me root for Littlefinger.

Corn code...

Jojen paste

Uncle Benjen being Cold hands or dead.

Tyrion being a secret Targ. No, just no.

The valonqar theories, where either it's Jaime (yes, what a shocking twist... not), or any-fucking-body who has or ever had an elder sibling or even sibling-in-law. Nope. There's some beauty to it if it's Tyrion (Cersei sowed her own doom, and Maggy deliberately manipulated her to do it). If it's Tommen, it all beautifully fits, logically and even grammatically, and that's my preferred valonqar theory. All other? Meh.

Edit2: For anyone wondering about the Theon Durden reference -> Stop reading these forums. Sign out. Go and watch the movie Fight Club. Now.

Tried. The beginning was so incredibly boring, I didn't finish the movie and read the synopsis from the Wikipedia instead.

If it's Tommen, it all beautifully fits, logically and even grammatically, and that's my preferred valonqar theory. All other? Meh.

Never thought of Tommen, whoa.

I really dislike all the elaborate Jon Snow theories. Like how he'll end up storming King's Landing as soon as he is insta-resurrected by Mel and all the tension at the Wall disappears through the awesome power of the Lord of Light. Especially when GRRM said we'd be headed far, far north of the Wall and Bran - the only other major POV at or past the Wall - doesn't seem to be all that mobile.

Not a fan of any of the "character x isn't actually dead! (s)he's been in disguise the whole time!" theories. That seems like a dated concept. I DO really like the "Sandor the Gravedigger" theory though, especially since he could be chosen as champion for the Faith in Cersei's trial. That's something I also picked up on in my read and would close up the dog brother story nicely.

FM being behind everything, Varys being behind everything, Maesters being behind everything... it just seems to take away from every other character's individual accomplishments while adding relatively little.

The Howland Reed theories have gotten a little extreme. Secret Targs are pretty annoying as well.

R+L=J is something I hope is false. First because so many people at this point take it as being fact so I'd love it for the pure shock factor. Secondly because I always took one of the major themes of ASOIAF to be that just because these people are born into a house or have certain blood doesn't make them fit to rule or special in anyway. The Tyrells farts don't smell like roses, etc. Everyone in reality is a normal human being with real flaws and attributes. If Jon Snow having Targ blood is that important to the story and makes him great doesn't that kind of ruin the lesson. Just my opinion. I'd prefer if Jons parentage stays ambiguous and we are never outright told but receive more subtle hints that point to Rhaegar and Lyanna while not making it an important part of the plot.

It only became a fact to most due to the internet, every person i know who's read the books, without googling spoilers/going on forums, have no clue about R+L=J.

Archived