Fargo- the TV series

Baitac

Man, just finished watching this and loved it. I've never seen the movie, so I didn't know what to expect, but I was engaged throughout the whole episode.

Every scene with Billy Bob was fantastic. Whether he was intereacting with Lester or getting the older brother to beat his little brother up, it was all golden.

I have not really liked Billy Bob Thornton for quite a while, but I think his performance as a cold, ruthless killer without a conscience (albeit one with a perverse sense of humour) looks like it will be compelling watching.

Martin Freeman, on the other hand, is a favourite of mine, and fortunately it seems like his performance will be just as interesting. I think our incompetent salesman is going to become a sly, ruthless killer in his own right. But, I also think, incompetency will eventually catch him up.

Yeah, I didn't expect much from this at all, as for whatever reason I always end up being disappointed by FX shows, but after seeing the cast for this I decide to give it a shot. It was really damn good. Freeman and Thornton were both great. I definitely think there's a bit of intentional Chigurh in Thornton's character. I hope they're able to maintain the same level of humour/surprise throughout.

They pronounced it exactly the way I'd expect "Nygaard" to be pronounced in Minnesota. Not unusual at all for Americans to pronunce names very different than someone in the country of origin.

Doesn't mean that they didn't pronounce it wrong. It's not that hard to pronounce correct, even for English speaking people. I've encountered at least one who were able to pronounce it correctly.

Doesn't mean that they didn't pronounce it wrong. It's not that hard to pronounce correct, even for English speaking people. I've encountered at least one who were able to pronounce it correctly.

In my experience it has less to do with being able to pronounce a name correctly, than in being stubborn about pronouncing it the way they want to.

For what it's worth, I think it's pretty stupid too.

At some point, after generations of mispronunciation, it stops being a mispronunciation. You don't tell people from Amarillo (Am-a-ri-lo) TX, that their city's name is actually pronounced Am-a-ri-yo, do you?

At some point, after generations of mispronunciation, it stops being a mispronunciation. You don't tell people from Amarillo (Am-a-ri-lo) TX, that their city's name is actually pronounced Am-a-ri-yo, do you?

Of course. Living in Amarillo is no excuse for not being able to pronounce Amarillo. It's even worse in certain parts of the East Coast, where there are people incapable of even pronouncing the name of the State they live in.

Of course. Living in Amarillo is no excuse for not being able to pronounce Amarillo. It's even worse in certain parts of the East Coast, where there are people incapable of even pronouncing the name of the State they live in.

Not an American so... Which State is this?

Well, I followed everyone's advice and I have to say that Fargo (the movie) is indeed a masterpiece. The acting, the visuals, the humour and especially the music were all top notch. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the word "ya", which I now - 5 minutes after watching the movie - hate with a fiery passion.

EDIT: Btw, at about three minutes in there is a GRRM look-a-like playing pool in the bar where Lundegaard first meets the kidnappers.

This started in the UK tonight, and I just caught the first episode. Loved it! Glad to have something decent back on the telly for Sunday evenings.

The BBC has the Crimson Field.on sunday evening. Third episode has just finished and it really packed a punch.

Archived