Fargo- the TV series

Baitac

Kept seeing the trailer for this all evening and ended up not watching it, the trailer really does nothing for me but I quite like Freeman and I've heard good stuff about this. Next Sunday it is.

I watched most of Quantum of Solace instead, has to be better than that.

Of course. Living in Amarillo is no excuse for not being able to pronounce Amarillo. It's even worse in certain parts of the East Coast, where there are people incapable of even pronouncing the name of the State they live in.

this is crazy. pronunciations, dialects, languages, they all change.

thus we have calais maine, (CAL is) versailles kentucky (ver SAILS) Oviedo Florida (O vee do)

they arent wrong. theyre just different from the the way in which their namesake town is pronounced

Of course. Living in Amarillo is no excuse for not being able to pronounce Amarillo. It's even worse in certain parts of the East Coast, where there are people incapable of even pronouncing the name of the State they live in.

Wait, so does that mean that every town in the USA named Paris (there are a few), the people are wrong if they pronounce the "s" at the end instead of leaving it silent?

The way whoever owns a name pronounces it, is the way to pronounce it. However a person who's named Nygarrd pronounces it, is how it's pronounced. The way people who live in Amarillo pronounce it is the way it's pronounced. In Virginia there's Monticello and it's pronounced "Monti-chello", but in NY there's one pronounced "Monti-sello". Heck, I live in a town called Hebron and it's pronounced "Hehb-ron" though we all know the original Hebron is pronounced "Hee-bron"

About the show, it kept me interested enough that I'm tuning in again this week. Great performances by the actors.

I've heard some good things about that, should really give it a look.

It's a very good show. First episode was good, but a bit slow since they had to introduce everyone and they only have 6 episodes. The second one was a big improvement. And the third one was excellent drama.

I particularly like Oona Chaplin of the young nurses. It's a shame they didn't use her better on GoT.

It's a very good show. First episode was good, but a bit slow since they had to introduce everyone and they only have 6 episodes. The second one was a big improvement. And the third one was excellent drama.

I particularly like Oona Chaplin of the young nurses. It's a shame they didn't use her better on GoT.

Ooh, really. I don't much like her :laugh:

I see people talking about accents. Freeman's accent was weird to me - is he supposed to sound like that? It seems like he's kept the comedic value that we're used to from him, but him being American threw me off a bit. In the trailers over here, I didn't hear him speak, so my housemate and I were speculating as to whether he'd be British or not.

I see people talking about accents. Freeman's accent was weird to me - is he supposed to sound like that? It seems like he's kept the comedic value that we're used to from him, but him being American threw me off a bit. In the trailers over here, I didn't hear him speak, so my housemate and I were speculating as to whether he'd be British or not.

I'm sure there are a few British nationals living in Minnesota, but for the tone of the show it makes a lot more sense for him to sound like a native. I thought he was very convincing.

Ooh, really. I don't much like her :laugh:

Well, she was horrible on GoT I'll give you that. But I blame that on the writers. In Crimson Field she gets some decent material to chew on.

this is crazy. pronunciations, dialects, languages, they all change.

thus we have calais maine, (CAL is) versailles kentucky (ver SAILS) Oviedo Florida (O vee do)

they arent wrong. theyre just different from the the way in which their namesake town is pronounced

Wait, so does that mean that every town in the USA named Paris (there are a few), the people are wrong if they pronounce the "s" at the end instead of leaving it silent?

The way whoever owns a name pronounces it, is the way to pronounce it. However a person who's named Nygarrd pronounces it, is how it's pronounced. The way people who live in Amarillo pronounce it is the way it's pronounced. In Virginia there's Monticello and it's pronounced "Monti-chello", but in NY there's one pronounced "Monti-sello". Heck, I live in a town called Hebron and it's pronounced "Hehb-ron" though we all know the original Hebron is pronounced "Hee-bron"

About the show, it kept me interested enough that I'm tuning in again this week. Great performances by the actors.

When I first moved to north Florida, I had someone test me: "How do you say: C A I R O?"

"Cairo (KHAI-ro), like the city in Egypt? or do you mean Cairo (KAY-ro :wacko: ), Georgia?"

I'm from as far south in the continental US as you can drive, but I don't have a 'southern' accent - most people from Key West are from up north or Cuba.

Just watched Ep. 1

That “maps used to say there'd be dragons here.” dialogue was fucking awesome!!

I loved that part too - it was also a bit of a coincidence that I was posting a map on the wall of my house in Minecraft at that exact moment, :P

I thought that the first episode/pilot was a little too long at 90 mins. Regardless, I was very interested in getting to know these characters and wondering where all of this was going. Boy did it go! It went very wrong, very fast. I did not expect things to go the way they did at all. I just thought the Billy Bob character would get him in trouble, but he managed to do that himself. Now I'm really curious as to how things are going to turn out.

Can Billy Bob convince anybody to do anything with his voice and face? I would love to have him meet Tywin for a battle of the brains. Crossover nerdiness!! :D

Loved the pilot. It was so perfectly weird and uncomfortable. I've been looking forward to this for months (ever since our Board Celebrity let me know she got a part). Really looking forward to seeing SSW on my TV in the coming weeks.

\m/ :cheers: \m/

I second that :cheers: I shall have to keep an eye out for her.

Archived