Football LXVII - Giddy Man United Fans

Alex.

De Gea = Excellent.

Imagine all the other teams in the last 8 will be rubbing their hands with glee. I mean this sincerely - good luck in the Quartets, United

Yeah, good performance, particularly offensively. Maybe we should punch Valencia in the head every game, coz he was very good, and like I say Rooney was just brilliant. Even Giggs didn't annoy me, some top passing.

But we do need to do what we haven't done previously and carry this attacking attitude through into every game, whatever formation or players we're playing. That was the key thing, we didn't faff about, just kept bursting forward and yes, we were vulnerable but we'd outscore most teams playing like that.

ManU are playing well tonight. I don't like it, I don't like it at all.

I don't mind too much. They aren't going to win the Champions League and United finding some form prior to the Manchester derby isn't the worst thing in the world, plus I'm keen to see another season of the Moyes revolution and I think he might have been sacked if they'd been knocked out by Olympiakos.

Imagine all the other teams in the last 8 will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Unlikely: after all, if Man U had lost, Olympiakos would be through instead. And I'm pretty sure the other teams in the last 8 would rather have played Olympiakos than even this unimpressive Man U side.

Unlikely: after all, if Man U had lost, Olympiakos would be through instead. And I'm pretty sure the other teams in the last 8 would rather have played Olympiakos than even this unimpressive Man U side.

Pretty sure to the other 7 teams it doesnt matter much at this point.

:agree:

Olympiakos didn't play great football this match (and arguably they didn't really play well in their 2-0 win in the first leg either). I think most teams would prefer to go against them than a United side that, while vulnerable and not playing well, have a far higher ceiling in terms of talent and players at their disposal.

I'm happy if this has saved Moyes' job. I don't mean that in a cynical sort of way, but as an Arsenal fan I still have a soft spot for the days when United and Arsenal ruled the roost (and before these young upstarts like City and Chelsea came on the scene!). And Moyes himself deserves a good chance. If he can finish the season strongly, win back some respect, change up the squad, and put his own stamp on things then I could easily see them being a regular Champions League side again and potential title challengers. It's probably better for them if they don't make the Europa League this season so they can concentrate fully on the League and cups next season.

Pretty sure to the other 7 teams it doesnt matter much at this point.

Well, Man U are probably the weakest team left in the competition, so in that sense, maybe not. But Olympiakos are weaker yet.

I've said before I think 5th place and the QFs of the CL are the minimum the Man U board can accept and still give Moyes a second chance. He's halfway there...

I've said before I think 5th place and the QFs of the CL are the minimum the Man U board can accept and still give Moyes a second chance. He's halfway there...

I think getting to the semis of CL will cover him for any League standing. Look at what Brendan Rodgers has done with Liverpool one season after they finished 7th in the league - Moyes' style is not as progressively passing/attacking as Rodgers but I think the board may take that to heart as an example of what could happen if they stick with him.

It's going to take a lot of money to eat that 6 year contract anyway and I don't see any top-tier replacement becoming available (unless it's Klopp). The wild card for me is whether the sponsors and money men pull the trigger.

Changing mangers constantly didn't do Liverpool any good. Or the Spurs. It is too disruptive, because every manager wants to put their stamp on the team and shit changes and everything starts from square one. Give Moyes time, he will get better. The idea that a new manager will somehow immediately make things better is kinda silly, specially when they have to follow on the footsteps of Sir Alex. More often than not you won't see immediate improvement, unless you got the City/Chelsea squad with so much amazing talents. Not many teams around with that sort of depth and talent. Changing manager again next season will just put United back to square one.

On the other hand, I am thouroughly enjoying this season. Liverpool has played fantastically, and the United thrashing was just so damn sweet. Even if they somehow don't manage to get top 4, I am pretty happy with the style of football they have been playing. It's really exciting to watch. It was good to see Suarez score again. Hopefully we won't lose him next transfer season.

Yeah, I think sticking with Moyes is a no-brainer. Unless you can get someone qualitatively better and with a massive reputation like Guardiola or Mourinho (both of whom aren't on the market), there is no point. People like Van Gaal are not in that league, they would have just as much difficulty as Moyes is having. The truth is that there are very few managers with winning EPL experience because Ferguson, Mourinho and (earlier) Wenger hogged all the trophies. Ancelotti also, but he isn't available. And Capello isn't a long-term option.

I think it is best to write off this season and trust Moyes with the next. I assume the finances and brand are able to sustain a one-season hit. His Everton teams were always well-organised and defensively sound; so presumably he knows how to build a solid base and may be able to do so given time.

Well, Man U are probably the weakest team left in the competition, so in that sense, maybe not. But Olympiakos are weaker yet.

I reckon injury-crisis Dortmund are weaker than we are, unless we suddenly develop one of our own. Especially with Lewandowski missing the first leg with suspension as well.

Anyways, on Moyes: my disillusionment this week has come not from the results - I was saying before the season that I'd not be devastated if we failed to finish top four, and while we're doing a little worse than I expected fifth is still well within our grasp - but the attitude and the feeling that the players don't trust him at all. I don't know what happened last night to make them look happy doing what they're doing but they did. If that carries on then sure, Moyes should stay on longer.

I don't think Giggs and Carrick is a viable option from now on, it'd get swamped, but credit where it's due, it worked a treat last night.

I don't think Giggs and Carrick is a viable option from now on, it'd get swamped, but credit where it's due, it worked a treat last night.

Carrick needs a stronger enforcer in the centre to partner with but it seems clear Fellaini is not the man to do it. They'll probably have to buy Vidal to fix that one.

I'd rather buy someone to play alongside Fellaini instead of Carrick than the other way around but yeah. They're a feasible partnership against most sides but the City and Liverpool games proved that at the highest end of the scale, they're just too immobile between them.

Morgan Schneiderlin please.

Archived