Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Hey thanks. I just don't want to be spoiled on other parts if the series, ya know? I've seen the site before, just try to stay away from it so I don't over indulge myself. Thanks though.

Eta: but then, why do we have that scene in Kallor's tent when he's using those candles? If your immortal, why use candles that add a century on to your life? Kind of a waste, don't you think?

Eta: but then, why do we have that scene in Kallor's tent when he's using those candles? If your immortal, why use candles that add a century on to your life? Kind of a waste, don't you think?

Kallor is human, so if he wants immortality he has to do something to get it.

I thought he was cursed to live forever?

Yes, Nightchill and her compatriot Elder gods cursed him to live forever but never achieve satisfaction. They did not, however, grant him everlasting youth, so the candles keep him feeling fresh all day long.

So Kallor is a human who is uniquely cursed to live forever.

The Tiste races have elven-like long lives or maybe immortality.

The T'lan Imass are the large portion of the Imass race who performed a ritual that caused them to exist forever, although it is not "living" forever. Some Imass either escaped the rite or didn't know to participate.

Those are my personal understandings of the different characters in TMBOTF.

Oh, I thought him and the one whiskeyjack is a lover with where both tiste andii. Have to go back and re-read. Thanks

Whiskeyjack's lover is a Tiste Andii, but not Kallor. You'll find more about Kallor's background in future books, he keeps turning up.

Ya know, prior to starting this series, I heard a lot of complaints about it being hard reading. I love this series. You can get bogged down sometimes, but then you either meet someone new or a lot of action takes place. Its one of the best series I've read.

I just can't wait to learn who the hell kruppe is or who is working on behalf of. But, I get the feeling he's really the main man, just playing it off.,......really well.

Eta: just so I got a idea, how long until kruppe's true identity is revealed? I'm thinking its gonna remain hidden at least for a few more books. Remember, I'm on MoI.

Also, let me see if I got this right. I'm just right past where K'rul reveals himself at the parley. And he says he's more a manifestation than really walking the "earth". But, his real self is stuck inside of Draginpur, right? That's why Nightchill wants Paran to shatter the blade. That's what I gather at least.

I don't remember Kruppe ever getting really "revealed" but I can say that K'rul isn't in Dragnipur. There's so, so much involved and it's been three years since I read TCG (or whenever it came out) that I really can't say anything definitively. You really need to post these questions over at malazanempire.com; they're as obsessed with the series as the people are here about aSoIaF. There, you will get definitive answers, much better than mine. Just don't poke around too much and you'll avoid spoilers - they're pretty big on avoiding those over there and the mods will try to keep you unspoiled.

Kallor isn't an Elder God, he's just a human who can't die and can't ascend.

I finished Dust of Dreams yesterday. What a book.

I don't think I'd ever felt physically ill while reading a book. Hetan's hobbling did it for me, her thoughts, her children, dead Tool, but mainly her, it was awful. I had to put the book down for a while.

HAIL THE MARINES!

What an ending too, damned lizards came out of nowhere. But looking back it doesn't seem as out of place as it did at first. I had to start The Crippled God right away to find out who died and who lived. I'm only 15% into it now.

Love the Shake storyline, I'm looking forward to learning more about Kharkanas.

What I don't entirely understand is what's going on with the Snake children. Where they come from, what are they? Are they also parts of Icarium?

Gesler and Stormy, Mortal Sword and Shield Anvil of the K'Chain Che'Malle. That was so unexpected! So, back to my first question,

Gesler: Orb: Mortal Sword.

Stormy: Throne: Shield Anvil.

Grub: Sceptre: ???

They are involved in the leadership of an Empire after all. I wouldn't have imagined they would've gotten roles like these when I first started the book. Nice.

K'rul isn't inside Dragnipur, the one that's there is

Draconus.

(I think someone mentions this on the prologue.)

(don't quote me if you're still on MoI, because you'll get my DoD spoilers as well :lol:)

Also, let me see if I got this right. I'm just right past where K'rul reveals himself at the parley. And he says he's more a manifestation than really walking the "earth". But, his real self is stuck inside of Draginpur, right? That's why Nightchill wants Paran to shatter the blade. That's what I gather at least.

No Draconus is the one stuck inside the sword. I still don't understand what the difference between ascending and being a god is. Apparently Trake was only an ascendent, but when that K'ell Hunter killed him he became a god??? I don't really understand the immortality system at all.

For those of you currently reading the MBOTF, I can't recommend enough the re-read on Tor.com and the discussion comments.

My enjoyment was immensely increased by being able to peruse the thoughts of the two readers and the forum participants.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Right now the re-read is at Ch. 15 of Dust of Dreams, a rather fraught chapter indeed.

I follow the reread every now and then, it's really helpful. When I started I thought I was never going to catch up with them, and I'm already on TCG now! :lol:

It seems Erikson is going to participate in the discussion of chapter 15 next Wednesday. I might try to think of some questions to ask. By the way, there are some spoilerish remarks on the Dust of Dreams rereads...

Archived