Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

So is the second half if the series better? Or what's your opinion. I'm also on HoC, there are certain times you have to push yourself through. But, overall it's been a great ride. Does the books get better or do they go downhill?

I think the pattern of having some great bits and some bits you need to slog through continues through all the Malazan books, but the ratio gets worse as the series goes on. I'd say Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides are the three best books in the series and the second half is weaker than the first half. Overall, I still thought it was worthwhile and the finale in The Crippled God is a good conclusion to the series but there were times I really had to force myself through some of the more tedious bits.

I think the pattern of having some great bits and some bits you need to slog through continues through all the Malazan books, but the ratio gets worse as the series goes on. I'd say Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides are the three best books in the series and the second half is weaker than the first half. Overall, I still thought it was worthwhile and the finale in The Crippled God is a good conclusion to the series but there were times I really had to force myself through some of the more tedious bits.

Yea, but isn't any series of considerable length that way though. As much as I loved ASOIAf, there was still parts that was really tedious. Like u said, its the great parts that make it worth your time.

Two of my favorite books in the series are on the second half: The Bonehunters and Toll the Hounds. My other favorite, and still the best in my opinion so far, is Memories of Ice.

Wait... are we being trolled?

:lol:

The plotlines that start in House of Chains are key to the entire series.

Our buddy the Jade Giant and Heboric Lighttouch end up being singularly pivotal. You won't think so for a long time, however - the mystery of who and what and why isn't solved by Inspector Blather gathering all the participants in the library in the last chapter of HoC.

The plotlines that start in House of Chains are key to the entire series.

Our buddy the Jade Giant and Heboric Lighttouch end up being singularly pivotal. You won't think so for a long time, however - the mystery of who and what and why isn't solved by Inspector Blather gathering all the participants in the library in the last chapter of HoC.

OK, now I really want to keep reading.

Yea, but isn't any series of considerable length that way though.

It does tend to be that way and there are series which have bigger problems than Malazan in that regard, the pace may slow as it goes along but not to the same extent as something like The Wheel of Time.

House of Chains gets better once the Karsa stuff is out the way, especially the 14th Army stuff. I didn't like Karsa in this book, though he lightens up in later books

Really I'm 200 pages in and out of the first four books I think it has the best beginning so far.

I agree, HoC is a lot better than what I see people saying about it. I'm a 1/3 the way through, and really enjoying it.

I loved the beginning too, but for me it has dragged a bit after that. Starting to pick back up again a bit at about the 55% mark.

Really I'm 200 pages in and out of the first four books I think it has the best beginning so far.

Yeah that first book of HoC is pretty divisive. A lot of people think it's either the best or worst part of the book.

I loved it but I actually thought Karsa's sections in book 3 were the best part of HoC.

• 3 weeks later...

Ghjhero, it is always nice when you find a book or books that are worth the investment of time and money to pursue with intentionality and intellectual curiosity, and the MBOTF is one of those.

It is like when I had my first exposure to Jack Vance with Arthur Morey reading The Dying Earth, or when as a child my neighbor bought me the full set of The Chronicles of Narnia, or when I spent my savings to buy The Lord of the Rings. There is a whole universe of interesting and gripping ideas and actions waiting for you as you work through the MBOTF.

Yeah the depth of the world is amazing! It's redicilious how we'll be developed his story! After HoC I'll probably read something else in between so as to not rush through the story and give myself a chance to digest the information.

It's funny how these threads keep bubbling back up to the top as soon as I hit a milestone in this series (just finished HoC last night).

Yeah the depth of the world is amazing! It's redicilious how we'll be developed his story! After HoC I'll probably read something else in between so as to not rush through the story and give myself a chance to digest the information.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I ended up liking HoC just fine, although for me the remainder of the book didn't quite live up to the promise of the prologue (I did like the ending). That said I have serious Malazan fatigue, so I'm gonna hold off reading the next one until later.

It's funny how these threads keep bubbling back up to the top as soon as I hit a milestone in this series (just finished HoC last night).

This is exactly what I'm doing. I ended up liking HoC just fine, although for me the remainder of the book didn't quite live up to the promise of the prologue (I did like the ending). That said I have serious Malazan fatigue, so I'm gonna hold off reading the next one until later.

I'm actually liking HoC more than I did MoI. It's probably because I just enjoy the 7 cities setting and characters more than I do the ones in Genebackis. I also thought that while the battle of Capustan was really good the ending battle at Coral just didn't live up to my expectations.

I'm actually liking HoC more than I did MoI. It's probably because I just enjoy the 7 cities setting and characters more than I do the ones in Genebackis. I also thought that while the battle of Capustan was really good the ending battle at Coral just didn't live up to my expectations.

For me, HoC dragged severely during the middle 40% or so of the book. The prologue was my favorite thing I've read thus far from Erikson, and the ending moved along nicely and contained some memorable scenes. But navigating the space between was an exercise in pure tedium.

None of the new characters particuarly caught my attention, either (unless you count Karsa as new). This is also one reason I'm not eager to jump into Midnight Tides, since apparently it centers on Trull Sengar, whom I couldn't care less about tbh.

Archived