What are the best/worst House Words?

Fanless Mace

I'll just it more bluntly, there is only so much you can do with crappy farmland and no draft animals, full stop. Most of their food comes from fishing and farming. Raiding, especially since it's been curtailed since Dagon, just isn't giving them those resources.

Speaking as an inhabitant of a country very much like what GRRM describes, you'd be amazed how many people you can feed on herring and root vegetables.

Was it a lovely, nice life of plenty ? No. It was harsh and probably more than a little miserable.

Was it life ? Yes indeed.

My favourites will have to be:

"Ours is the fury",

"Unbent, Unbount, Unbroken"

and the much more obvious, "Winter is coming"

Worst:

"Hear me roar"? Couldn't the Lannisters have thought of something better? Somehow I've got a feeling tyrion will decide to change them to "We Always Pay Our Debts", after paying off those huge Second Sons cheques.

"Growing strong"? Like the QOT said on the show, "how is that going to strike fear in the hearts of your enemies?"

"Family. Duty. Honour"? Again, what a way of making your enemy quake in his boots.

And... what are the onion knight's house words? Whatever they are, I can't trust a man who makes an onion his sigil to come up with badass house words

Well the offspring of thralls are free if they are given to the drowned god, so that's where you're getting your population boost. It's the same with salt wives.

I'll just it more bluntly, there is only so much you can do with crappy farmland and no draft animals, full stop. Most of their food comes from fishing and farming. Raiding, especially since it's been curtailed since Dagon, just isn't giving them those resources.

Their sailing skills alone could be used for trade, but instead of 'sowing' a livelihood with even their skills......they rape, pillage, and plunder. No, they don't have the best land in the world for agriculture but neither do they try to 'sow' a living out of their circumstance, that is the just another point of why the words We Do Not Sow seems to sum their entire attitude to doing anything productive themselves. So far, anyway.

I'm not sure why Winter is Coming is so popular. Aside from stating the obvious, it's rather redundant when winter actually arrives. Do the Starks all run around saying "I told you so" in smug voices at that point?

It's actually the greatest boast (and threat) of them all.

I have to go for "Winter is Coming", the Starks are at least being honest, coz there's always next winter and there's nothing like the promise of bad weather to strike fear into the hearts of men.

As for worst, i think i'd say "As High as Hono(u)r", nothing quite says "we're stuck up" like it.

But respect to House Codd though, it's a ballsy motto and they seem to do their upmost to live up to it.

I'm not sure why Winter is Coming is so popular. Aside from stating the obvious, it's rather redundant when winter actually arrives. Do the Starks all run around saying "I told you so" in smug voices at that point?

A deeper, metaphorical sense can also be found in the motto. According to George R.R. Martin, it more generally expresses the sentiment that there are always dark periods in each of our lives, and even if things are good now ("summer"), we must always be ready for a dark period when events turn against us ("winter"). In this sense "winter" parallels Richard of the House of York's opening line in Shakespeare's Richard III, "Now is the Winter of our Discontent / Made glorious Summer by this sun of York..."

In this sense it is loosely matched by the Latin phrase "memento mori" ("remember you have to die"), which was whispered into the ear of victorious Roman generals during their parade of triumph, to remind them that all earthly success is fleeting.

----

Best: Winter is Coming

Worst: Hear Me Roar

I also like the commonly known words/sayings:

- A Lannister always pays his debts

- The North remembers

- What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger

- Our way is the old way

Ours is the Fury is pretty badass, and Fire and Blood is ominous as well. Winter is Coming is pretty dark when you think about what comes with it (Others, Wight Walkers, etc). Martell of course also has an intimidating set of words. Works great until they are bent, bowed, and broken.

The worst has to be House Swyft: Awake! Awake! Are they going to invent the alarm clock? Do they drink a lot of coffee?

Runners-up:

House Footly has Tread lightly here. I file this in the bad pun department.

House Jordayne's Let it be written makes me hope somewhere there is another house whose words are Let it be done. Maybe House Ramses?

House Grandison Rouse me not. Well then what the heck are you good for?

House Lannister Hear me roar! I know it's a lion reference but I always think of Katy Perry when I hear this.

House Serret I have no rival. In what exactly? Does anyone know anything about this house?

House Tyrell Growing Strong. Really they are a pretty cool house, but those words tell us nothing except that they have ambition, or really like to garden. Lame, lame words for a power family.

"Tell Lord Tywin that winter is coming for him"

Is that in the books too, or just the show?

ETA: I just looked up House Serret. The words are according to semi-canon sources. Their sigil is a peacock in his pride. I think that detail tells us plenty.

"As High as Honor"- pssh suck on my nuts Arryns

"Hear me Roar" I love me some Lannister action but that motto sucks mad wangs...

Worst- Ours is the Fury. They sound like they're kids in middle school that's throwing a temper tantrum because someone took their swing.

i dont lke you...

Archived