Could Selmy leave Dany for Aegon?

What do you think? I guess it's unlikely plotwise, but would it be possible?

Yes, Dany lacks anything that really points to Aegon being fake. Dany is continuing down the road of Sauron, I imagine Barry doing his magical mental gymnastic, and state Aegon is the true king and either kill a dragon or capture Tyrion to prove his loyalty to Aegon.

Yes, Dany lacks anything that really points to Aegon being fake. Dany is continuing down the road of Sauron, I imagine Barry doing his magical mental gymnastic, and state Aegon is the true king and either kill a dragon or capture Tyrion to prove his loyalty to Aegon.

1. It doesn't matter. Dany doesn't need evidence to prove that Aegon is fake. Aegon needs evidence to prove that he is actually Aegon. It's called the burden of proof. In this case the burden of proof is on Aegon because he is the one making the claim.

2. Even if Aegon is perfectly real I doubt it will make much of a difference. At this point Barry has saved Dany's life, gave her honest council and even fought her wars for her. It would have to be really strong evidence for him to change sides. If the evidence is there but it's not presented well or it's questionable then I couldn't see him switching sides. I could only see him change teams if the evidence is blindingly obvious and even that's an "if".

No. He's already sworn to her queensguard. He didn't leave the Mad King and he didn't leave Robert. Joff had to dismiss him. His entirely too loyal to be so wishy-washy.

Barristan was there when Aegon's corpse was presented. Hearing Aegon is alive would not be enough to sway him. Dany's legitimacy cannot be contested. Besides, he is too invested in her campaign to just drop everything because he heard the true king lives.

I am not sure, he seems utterly committed to Dany at this point and even if Aegon is real (and I think he is, I have read the theories about him but I doubt Varys, Illyrio, and Connington would have done so much for a fake, when there are 2 real Targs out there that they know about) he will have a hard time proving his claim without Dany and her dragons. To me, what will prove/disprove his legitimacy is wether or not the dragons accept him, if they like him, let him ride one, ect then he is the real deal. If they hate him, attack him, eat him, then he is likely a fake... and dead so it doesn't matter. But if the dragons take to him, then I think Selmy would see him as legitimate and Dany would have to also, meaning she would have to marry him, kneel to him, or kill him, in any case I do not see Semly "turning his cloak" as it were.

I think Dany would have to decide to not go west and for Aegon to be proven legitimate in some other way for Selmy to leave her.

You're right, but there was no indication that he bought it, was there?

He still refers to Joffrey as Robert's son when speaking with Dany. As for Viserys, Barristan did not so much as abandon him as yield to the man that claimed the throne.

To say oaths mean nothing to him is an exaggeration. Of epic proportions.

I don't think he would. As others have already stated, Barristan is a sworn member of Dany's Queensguard and he is wayyyy too loyal to go back on his oath. He served Aery's through all of his mad antics and Robert through his utter disdain for ruling and his whoring. No way he gives up his honor just because some naysayer claims he is Rhaegar's son. Think of it this way, if it becomes common knowledge that R+L=J, will Barristan rush across the Narrow Sea to serve Jon? I think not.

He still refers to Joffrey as Robert's son when speaking with Dany. As for Viserys, Barristan did not so much as abandon him as yield to the man that claimed the throne.

To say oaths mean nothing to him is an exaggeration. Of epic proportions.

Even if he thinks Joff is a Baratheon, a discharge of a job doesnt mean his oath to the Baratheon line as dinasty is done. He recognized them as rightful kings as any westerosi knight or Lord. Unlist his oath was ..."as long as you let me keep my fancy Job"...

By the way, if he feels sorrow and prays for Eddard...and even defends him before Daenerys...well, would he think in that way about a man who invents such a lie to give the crown to Stannis???? He knows it to be true, but its easy for him to just leave it aside in his mind as he did when Robert pardoned him...

Archived