Snowpiercer

AncalagonTheBlack

The movie was good, but the dynamic of life on the train is interesting to explore. It'd be a cool tv series, as long as they have a set number of seasons in mind. I won't be around for season "We made it to the school car!" four.

I'm sorta shocked over the amount of praise this movie has gotten in this thread. 

I thought it was a fun (if silly) little movie, and I enjoyed it; but I would never have thought it would be so well liked.

I have a theory....I think no one knew anything about the movie, they went in with no or low expectations and they were pleasantly surprised. 

I'm sorta shocked over the amount of praise this movie has gotten in this thread. 

I thought it was a fun (if silly) little movie, and I enjoyed it; but I would never have thought it would be so well liked.

This is basically my thinking on the movie as well.

I have a theory....I think no one knew anything about the movie, they went in with no or low expectations and they were pleasantly surprised. 

I believe you are very likely correct.  You are for my experience with Snowpiercer, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw this today for the first time. I loved it. Though I can see the criticism of the end. Ed Harris was a perfect choice for the role he played, I just think he performance was a little too loose. Almost camp.

The end though,  the reveal of what the innsurection was, what it meant, for some reason put me in mind of the old manga Grey for some reason.

• 11 months later...

TNT Orders ‘Snowpiercer’ Pilot

TNT has given a pilot order to Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller drama based on the acclaimed 2013 feature by Bong Joon-ho that starred Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton and Song Kang-ho. The pilot will be co-produced by Tomorrow Studios — Marty Adelstein’s joint venture with ITV Studios — and Turner’s Studio T.

Tomorrow Studios optioned the rights to Snowpiercer last year, tapping Josh Friedman, who has extensive futuristic/sci-fi credentials, to write the series adaptation. Friedman previously created the Fox series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, also based on a movie franchise, and has written/co-written such movies as War of the Worlds and some of the Avatar sequels.

• 5 months later...

Hamilton star Daveed Diggs to lead Snowpiercer show

TNT announced Wednesday that the Tony-winning Hamilton star will lead the network’s adaptation of Bong Joon Ho’s original film, which starred Chris Evans, Ed Harris, Tilda Swinton, and Octavia Spencer. Scott Derrickson (Doctor Strange) will direct the show’s pilot and act as an executive producer along with writer and showrunner Josh Friedman (Avatar 4, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Tomorrow Studios’ Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf), and Becky Clements (Good Behavior, Last Man Standing). Joon Ho, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun, and Dooho Choi are also executive producers.

Set seven years after an apocalyptic ice age leaves Earth as a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer will focus on the survivors who “inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe,” per a press release. Diggs will play Layton Well, “a prisoner barely surviving the harsh conditions in the tail end of the train. A quiet thinker who spends his days sniffing the industrial-waste-turned-drug Chronole and tending to his cage full of rats, Layton becomes a reluctant participant in a struggle that could upend life on the train.”

• 5 months later...

Jennifer Connelly To Star In TNT Pilot Based On Movie

Jennifer Connelly is set to star opposite Daveed Diggs in TNT’s pilot Snowpiercer, a futuristic thriller drama based on the acclaimed 2013 feature by Bong Joon-ho.

The hourlong drama pilot, directed by Doctor Strange helmer Scott Derrickson, is set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, and the remnants of humanity inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. It explores class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival.

Oscar winner Connelly will play Melanie Cavill, a First Class passenger who works as the Voice of the Train. Diggs plays Layton Well, a prisoner who becomes a reluctant participant in a struggle that could upend life on the train.

Cast additions:

Mickey Sumner (Frances Ha)

Annalise Basso (Captain Fantastic)

Sasha Frolova

Alison Wright (The Americans)

Benjamin Haigh

Roberto Urbina (Narcos)

Katie McGuinness (Roots)

Susan Park (Vice Principals)

Pilot Details Teased

While Bong Joon Ho’s futuristic cult thriller Snowpiercer took place on a train whereby the story advanced car-by-car as the characters moved to the front, that’s not how the drama will go down on TNT’s upcoming TV pilot adaptation.

“It’s a space ship show contained in one environment with a wide swatch of characters,” said Turner Entertainment chief creative officer and TBS and TNT president Kevin Reilly at TCA today.

“It’s an internal pot boiler of various dynamics and an intriguing mystery through the first person. Jennifer Connelly has made her mark, but it won’t (ultimately) take place on a (different) car per episode,” said Reilly.

15 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I'm baffled as to how it could work as a TV show since it's those kind of movies who rely heavily on last minute twists and revelations...

Not really? The whole business of life on the train is fairly ripe for longer-lasting plots. Also I gather the film wasn't that similar to the original comic so they could take more inspiration from that.

• 8 months later...

Well,the show has lost the original showrunner and director.The new showrunner is Graeme Manson (Orphan Black) and the new series director is James Hawes (Doctor Who, Penny Dreadful , Black Mirror, The Alienist).

Hawes joined the show earlier this month, less than two weeks after Scott Derrickson, the pilot’s original director, announced he would not return for reshoots. Derrickson claimed that the decision was due to the series’ new showrunner, Graeme Manson’s “radically different vision” from that of original showrunner and series creator Josh Friedman, who left the show in January.

The series will premiere on TNT in the U.S. in 2019, while Netflix will carry the show outside America and China.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/asia/netflix-snowpiercer-series-1202882278/

Archived