Snowpiercer

AncalagonTheBlack

Just watched this and i thought overall it was really good.Good to see another non-hollywood/scifi small budget movie done well.

Good cast too : Chris Evans,John Hurt,Tilda Swinton,Ed Harris,Jamie Bell and Song Kang-ho.

The movie is out in most parts of the world except US and UK.The US release (limited) is June 27, 2014.No idea about UK release.

Trailer

You may want to add 'w/Spoilers' to the thread title seeing as it's yet to be released in the US & UK - given the large number of boarders from these two areas.

I've seen it and enjoyed it - quite a bit more than I expected to. Having loved Bong Joon-ho's previous works (Mother and in particular Memories of Murder) I hoped for a decent ride Korean cinema style and it didn't disappoint. Favourite scene had to be the calling of the fires - that was f%#kin rousing. Ignoring the holes in the science and technology it still manages to leave one with many questions about the whole set up.

I agree about Swinton - so excellent. And so were Evans and Kang-ho Song (who was one of the detectives in Memories of Murder).

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it yesterday, thought it was absolutely excellent. It's absolutely barmy and a mish-mash of tones - something not uncommon in Korean films, I've found- but beneath that there's some really careful storytelling. I also love that a post-apocalyptic dystopian SF (it has a lot of shared themes with Elysium) becomes basically an epic fantasy quest movie. With a lot of great action.

Also, the cast is one of the best ensembles assembled for ages and lives up to that potential. A lot's being made of Tilda Swinton and quite rightly- I am ever more appreciative of her refusal to go the mainstream, awards-friendly route when she easily could - but I think mega props need to be given to Chris Evans. For most of it he's basically playing the calm, Leading Man center amid the chaos, basically an angrier Captain America, but there is one scene in particular in which he's asked to cut loose and really act and it's brilliant.

I mean, of course, the confession by the final gate, which is basically a five-minute close-up of his face with only the occasional cut to elsewhere. Not many people could have pulled that off.

• 3 months later...

So there was a thread on this. Strangest damn thing but usually when South Carolina gets some strange movie that I would like to see I have to drive to Greenvile.

Just fucking sad that the distributors were or whoever were a bunch of assholes about this it is not without its faults but fuck it the movie has Ed Harris, John Hurt and Chris Evans

Plus creepy children singing a song in some willy wonka throwback classroom is always good.

If the Engine ever stopps

We all Freeze and Die

But will the engine ever stop

No!!

Tell us why

The engine is eternal

and so on.

Its like a really strange mashup of City of Ember and Children of Men on a train and might have provided people with something more to watch in the month of July besides computer generated robots and computer generated monkeys.

it will be on Netflix/VOD soon enough and I recommend it.

I thought it was great. I was totally into the story, was intrigued by the different sections of the train (and society) and really impressed with the way the action scenes were shot to make them work in such a small confined space. And as polish mentioned above, Chris Evans carried the movie and was one of his finest performances.

• 4 weeks later...

This would have been a sci-fi movie for the ages if it hadn't been for everything that happens from Ed Harris' introduction and onwards. That was so fucking ridiculous, implausible and cliché that it tore down everything that the movie had built up. It was the Matrix 2 architect monologue all over again. Which is a shame, because everything else was so damn intriguing and well-constructed. I loved Evans' monologue at the gate, the worldbuilding, the way a lot of little details only made sense an hour after their introduction. Great 80% of a movie, horrible wrap-up.

This would have been a sci-fi movie for the ages if it hadn't been for everything that happens from Ed Harris' introduction and onwards. That was so fucking ridiculous, implausible and cliché that it tore down everything that the movie had built up. It was the Matrix 2 architect monologue all over again. Which is a shame, because everything else was so damn intriguing and well-constructed. I loved Evans' monologue at the gate, the worldbuilding, the way a lot of little details only made sense an hour after their introduction. Great 80% of a movie, horrible wrap-up.

I agree the ending was a bit of a let-down but I enjoyed Harris in the role nonetheless.

I agree with you here to a degree, but most of the revelations that Ed Harris gave were already foreshadowed and implied. Not to say that the end was perfect, but I put it far above the Architect scene in the Matrix which is probably the laziest writing in cinema history.

Damon Lindelhoff described two different camps of writing in an interview with the info dump of Matrix being one extreme, and the ambiguous ending of LOST the other. I far prefer the latter.

Still waiting for a UK release date :(. This is the first time I can remember that a film I've wanted to see just hasn't been released here at all (instead of just being a few weeks late...).

ST

No on-demand options for you over there? One of the peculiarities of the US release was that it was available simultaneously in theaters and through Google Play (probably itunes, too. I haven't checked).

Archived