My name is Reek it rhymes with weak...

sam90

I never was a fan a Theon Greyjoy, actually I think he was arrogant and selfish but after reading two Reek chapters, it's horrible how low he falled. His mind broken and missing fingers, toes, cock, eating and sleep with the dogs wearing a collar.. We all know that George RR Martin has the power take a despised character and force us to be compassionate and reassess our views of him, it was the case for me concerning Jaime, The Hound and now Theon..

I find myself wishing that Theon find a way to escape or be saved somehow, even to take revenge it's just inhuman and absolutely horrible the situation he is in. No one deserves that..

This Ramsay Bolton is one of the wickest, weirdest character I have seen in a while, really. He is imprevisble and twisted frankly and you actually don't know what he is gonna do next. A wild card.

What do you think? Please no spoiler about what's coming next.

Ramsay is one of few "completely evil" characters George wrote. Others I'd name are Ser Gregor, Joffrey and Hoat the Goat. I'm still not sure if King Euron is one of 'em, but it seems like so to me. Cruel people doing cruel things with no reason backing them up.

That is, characters I see no one saying "I like him even though he's bad b/c he's had his reasons". Perhaps I should take Joffrey off the list since he seems like a disturbed child and some people feel sorry for him, but that's not my case.

In short, Ramsay is a monster. Theon is... neutral to me. I always knew he was going to be the center of a major plot twist -- which he was in Clash -- and I never grew any liking out of him, so I only pity him in a humanitary sense.

Also, I'm frequently surprised no one wonders about the nature of Lord Roose. He raised Ramsay on his own, he married Fat Walda for any absurd reason but love (he never gets a child from her and even mocks her in her back), he seemed implacable after hearing about Lady Hornwood, he took part in the RW for his own sake, etc etc etc. And he seems to be OK about the kind of 'justice' Ramsay gave to Theon and pretend he only holds the North because Ramsay "saved Winterfell from the ironborn".

I wouldn't say Ramsay is a "completely evil" character. Of course he's mad, but we clearly see that Roose is in some way responsible of what he has become ("I raped your mother"...).

This character is clearly a mirror with Jon Snow. It shows what Jon could have become if Ned had not been good with him, and if he had sent him away. Jon is a good man, and proud to be called "Lord Snow", when Ramsay becomes mad and behead the man calling him that way...

I can see that, except

Jon [...] proud to be called "Lord Snow", when Ramsay becomes mad and behead the man calling him that way...

Jon never liked Lord Snow -- it was Alliser Thorne's nickname for him. He just got used to it when friends started using it innofensively, especially at the end of Storm.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I'm frequently surprised no one wonders about the nature of Lord Roose. He raised Ramsay on his own, he married Fat Walda for any absurd reason but love (he never gets a child from her and even mocks her in her back), he seemed implacable after hearing about Lady Hornwood, he took part in the RW for his own sake, etc etc etc. And he seems to be OK about the kind of 'justice' Ramsay gave to Theon and pretend he only holds the North because Ramsay "saved Winterfell from the ironborn".

Just a couple of points...

Ramsay was raised by his mother and only came to the Dreadfort a couple of years before aGoT, marrying for financial gain is not that unusual in Westeros, and I thought Fat Walda was pregnant as of aDwD.

Plenty of people have mentioned the darker side of Roose as well!

I have a love hate relationship with Theon. I understand why he did what he did, so I am sympathetic, extremely sympathetic, because I really like Theon. He's not necessarily a horrible person, just seriously misguided in life. I think he just got way over his head with trying to fit in, and he's young. Young men/boys make stupid mistakes. His were extremely stupid.. and really disturbing... and then that's when I start to hate him, because I can't put myself in his shoes. Once he completely loses himself to the idea of proving himself at all costs, he completely loses me. At first I was like, "Hell yeah, he totally deserves to die!" (before we find out where he really is), and then when I found out what's really been happening with him, that's when I feel sympathetic again, because he's just a boy, ya know? Death seems justified, torture does not. Ramsey is a straight up psychopath, and maybe that freaks me out even more, because I wouldn't wish that upon anyone, no matter what they did, except maybe Ramsey himself. It is very difficult to come to grips with seeing that someone who does have a good side somewhere in him could land in the hands of someone who has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Also, if you ever read up on the type of upbringing, in early childhood, that typically promotes the creation of little psychopaths, then you will clearly understand that Ramsey did not come from a happy home. =S Read "The Sociopath Next Door". That book scared the shit out of me.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Theon. Maybe love isnt the right word.. Sympathetic/hate relationship? He betrays Robb, who was like a brother to Theon, for a father who showed no warmth for his son who had been a hostage for years.. Even though I depised Theon for capturing Winterfell there is one good thing that came out of it. Even though Theon capturing Winterfell gave Roose Bolton an opening to destroying Winterfell, if Theon hadn't got there first Bran and Rickon most certianly wouldnt have been able to escape from the Boltons.

As for Ramsay, he's a serial killer who isnt getting punished for his crimes. Theon just happens to be an extremely unlucky victim. I really dont hav high hopes for Theon turning against Ramsay and killing him. I feel like the most likely person to kill Ramsay may be his father Roose Bolton, there is no warmth at all in there relationship.

I just really hope Theon doesnt turn into a sadistic person after his time with Ramsay.

• 3 weeks later...

Theon was my favorite character at some point , i thought he would be very interesting trying to make it big on his own. I wasn't with the Starks , Robb was a dull and stupid character (I see the contrast many people see in Jon and Theon , to Jon and Robb too , Jon is always the right one that made the right decisions and Robb failed miserably doing wrong things , Theon too) and i was wondering what will Theon do. Well he started losing my sympathy a bit with the things he did in Winterfell...I mean he acted reaaaally stupid. Then we lost every single clue about him. Friends who watched the series informed me about what happened to him , while I'm still in AFFC i decided to go and read a lil bit of Theon's chapters to see what really goes on with him and that prick Ramsey. Well , that's the worst thing that happened to someone in the series and I really hope he'll get away and rebuild his life. As long as Martin keeps him alive in this state i feel like he won't die yet. As for Ramsey , he's a sadistic creature , the most evil guy in the whole series for me. Well i find nothing on his favor except his father's attitude against him (Lord Roose is not a good man either but he has his own , different ways and motives) , his envy for his brother and the loss of his friend (the real Reek) , even though they both deserve to die , because they were going berserk together and doing things like this a lot of time before Theon appeared in front of him...

Archived