Viserys' Unfinished Arc

JTS

Though the death of Viserys leaves a giant vacum in the Targaryen claim to the throne I can't help feeling like GRRM

could have done more with this character, for example if Viserys lived to see Drogo die would he have retaken control of Dany and by association the Khalassar, what kind of leader would he be? If he saw living dragons how would he handle it? How would he face the dangers of Quarth? What would he do with the Unsullied? Would he be a good fit for the Slave Cities? Would he merry Arianne Martell and hold Myrcella as hostage in Dorne?

I think when the dragons were born, he and Daenerys could have become closer. Viserys would have regained hope and no longer needed to press Dany to do whatever needs to be done to get power. Remember, he didn't do it because he liked to be mean to her, but she was too young to understand the need for those actions. He was pretty much the father role in a way.

So they would firstly go to Qarth and do pretty much the same, I think Astapor will change the story. Viserys and Daenerys would really work together here, both speaking Valyrian, and he would be delighted about Unsullied. If Daenerys would have been able to convince him to go to Yunkai and Meereen, even better. Viserys could be the one explaining Daenerys the need for slaves there, he wasn't all that against slavery. I guess that the slaves would not have been freed with Viserys there.

But Viserys would never have it allowed to chain the dragons.

Viserys didn't know he would have to marry Arianne. But if some envoy from Dorne would have arrived, likely Arianne, as Quentyn was not promised in such a scenario, Viserys and Dany would go. And then the war begins. Pretty much this.

You are most likely basing your post on "show" Viserys rather than the "book" version. Drogo's Khalassar had nothing but contempt for Viserys and would have probably sold him as a slave as soon as his sister was no longer wife of the Khal and thus no longer able to protect him. And Dany, once she tasted the power of her position wouldn't have submitted to Vissy's control. Your other points hinge on him gaining power, which would never have happened.

Viserys was himself a pawn of Varys and Illyrio, and he had no leadership qualities, experience, sense of justice, self-restraint, or people skills. Good riddance. He was often unkind to Dany, and he would have been same to anyone on his path to power.

Plus, his is one of the best deaths so far! I wouldn't want to see a thing changed.

You are most likely basing your post on "show" Viserys rather than the "book" version. Drogo's Khalassar had nothing but contempt for Viserys and would have probably sold him as a slave as soon as his sister was no longer wife of the Khal and thus no longer able to protect him. And Dany, once she tasted the power of her position wouldn't have submitted to Vissy's control. Your other points hinge on him gaining power, which would never have happened.

First off I would like to say I never watched the show so I have been basing it on the books, and I think if he could have controlled his temper he might have been able to lead through Dany after Drogo's death. And I'm just saying that he could've had a more interesting story because he died pretty early in the book, I'm not saying I like him I hate him too.

I wouldnt say Viserys was an important enough character to even say he had an arc, he was an ancillary character. His primary role was to assist in the evolution of Daenerys from frightened and abused child to strong and proud queen. At first he beats her and pushes her around and treats her like shit but she accepts it because he is all she has. We see that Dany is heavily effected by this, she is almost like an abused dog in the beggining but as she grows and experiences a new world amongst the Dothraki and accepts her role as Khaleesi she begins to become stronger. As she grows she comes to see her brother for what he really is, pathetic, weak, insane. In the scene where Dany's handmaiden is beaten by Viserys after she sends her to fetch her brother for dinner Dany ceases to be the weak girl she was and becomes the strong woman she was destined to be. The second she smacks her brother with that chain Visery's role in the show becomes obsolete, Dany's transformation is complete. She physically strikes down that which has always prevented her from releasing the stong and noble leader inside of her and becomes a Queen.

Viserys was never intended (IMO) to have any serious character development, he was there so another more important character could complete her own little "mini-arc" from weak to strong.

I hope that made sense :D

Archived