The Thing About Robert's Bastards

Tiggy4Real

I understand that Gendry is featured prominently throughout the series, but why do you guys immediately want to put him on the Iron Throne/ in charge of Storms End over Mya, who actually had a relationship with Robert, and Edric, who was acknowledged and raised as a lordling? Seriously, this whole series we see Gendry trying to be nothing more than what he already is, so why is it a good idea to heap titles on him that you know he would reject. Why is it a good idea to pass up Edric Storm and Mya Stone for Gendry Waters?

I see a lot of fanfics that want to do that, and I just came out of a topic that wanted to legitimize Gendry so Shireen wouldn't be the last Baratheon and he could take Storm's End if she died. Which I don't get because Edric was raised there.

I think some people are making an assumption that since Gendry is the only bastard of 'Bert's on the TV show, he's therefore the more important bastard. Maybe GRRM told the writers he has an important role to play? At any rate, they've combined some of his story with Edric's, if I recall, and they'll probably have Gendry do something Mya does in the books before too long.

But...my guess is that the three bastards we know of will each play small but not critical roles in the denouement.

Stannis raised a common smuggler to a lordship and Hand of the King. He knows a man's real worth has nothing to do with titles or birth.

If Shireen should perish (dreams of getting devoured by a dragon don't lie) Stannis may name Gendry as his heir. Giving up lucrative smithing jobs to raise orphans in the war-torn Riverlands should be more impressive to Stannis than being acknowledged and being raised in a lord's household (Edric.)

As far as the IT and Storm's End are concerned, they're not even Stannis's to give.

I see a lot of fanfics that want to do that, and I just came out of a topic that wanted to legitimize Gendry so Shireen wouldn't be the last Baratheon and he could take Storm's End if she died. Which I don't get because Edric was raised there.

Well you couldn't have seen a lot of fanfic here, so I think your question is for someone else, not westeros.org fans :)

Although I have heard some wild theories about Gendry, I have never found anyone who actually believes he will end up on IT.

Well you couldn't have seen a lot of fanfic here, so I think your question is for someone else, not westeros.org fans :)

Although I have heard some wild theories about Gendry, I have never found anyone who actually believes he will end up on IT.

Even Storm's End seems a bit optimistic. I'd say the highest he'll rise is being husband to King Jon's Master of Whispers. :cool4:

I don't think anyone actually believes Gendry would make it to the Iron Throne (and I don't understand how you guys are making it without fanfiction to carry you over, but to each his own), but I feel like if there was even a possibility of it, Edric has a MUCH better claim than Gendry simply because Westeros seems to not have a paternity test to prove that Gendry IS in fact Robert's kid. The same way people say Aegon could be a fake, so could Gendry. Blue eyes, black hair and a strong body are not hard to come by.

I think of all Robert's bastards, the one with the best chance of being lord of SE or king is Edric. He already has the education, knows a few lord iirc, and he'll have his mother's family the Florents backing him.

And everyone knows FOR SURE who his father was, whereas Gendry is only a question mark for everyone not dead or missing(Brieanne). However neither will inherit either so moot point I guess.

I don't think anyone actually believes Gendry would make it to the Iron Throne (and I don't understand how you guys are making it without fanfiction to carry you over, but to each his own), but I feel like if there was even a possibility of it, Edric has a MUCH better claim than Gendry simply because Westeros seems to not have a paternity test to prove that Gendry IS in fact Robert's kid. The same way people say Aegon could be a fake, so could Gendry. Blue eyes, black hair and a strong body are not hard to come by.

How we guys do what? I have said to you that here you can't find many theories and serious opinions (if at all) about Gendry becoming the King, so I would advise you not to use "you guys" when speak to some of us.

As for Edric, even that pot is more blown than cracked... But, I feel Edric is like Benjen 2.0 and will reappear when we least hope so...

How we guys do what? I have said to you that here you can't find many theories and serious opinions (if at all) about Gendry becoming the King, so I would advise you not to use "you guys" when speak to some of us.

As for Edric, even that pot is more blown than cracked... But, I feel Edric is like Benjen 2.0 and will reappear when we least hope so...

You know what? I apologize for the use of "you guys" if it is offending you that much. SOME PEOPLE think these things, and I wanted to know why it was a thing. SOME PEOPLE don't read fanfiction and I know why that is a thing, but I can't see how SOME PEOPLE are making it since no one knows when the next book will be released.

You know what? I apologize for the use of "you guys" if it is offending you that much. SOME PEOPLE think these things, and I wanted to know why it was a thing. SOME PEOPLE don't read fanfiction and I know why that is a thing, but I can't see how SOME PEOPLE are making it since no one knows when the next book will be released.

No need for apologies, nor the need to be snarky as for that matter... I just expressed my doubt it is actually a thing. Or whether it was a thing. Every once and a while, I hear some crazy theory but no one puts much attention to many of those. Heck, I even don't consider Sansa Stark to be Queen Consort of Westeros as a good theory, let alone Gendry to be King.

Fanfic is simply for the people who are obsessed with certain universe and want to spend some time being productive... Us not knowing when the next book is going to be released is actually quite the good reason for writers of fanfic.

Stannis raised a common smuggler to a lordship and Hand of the King. He knows a man's real worth has nothing to do with titles or birth.

If Shireen should perish (dreams of getting devoured by a dragon don't lie) Stannis may name Gendry as his heir. Giving up lucrative smithing jobs to raise orphans in the war-torn Riverlands should be more impressive to Stannis than being acknowledged and being raised in a lord's household (Edric.)

As far as the IT and Storm's End are concerned, they're not even Stannis's to give.

Some of that may be true, but Gendry has absolutely no experience of nor has he ever been exposed to the courtly life -- As we see, that experience is extremely important if you're going to be in a role like that (think of Daenerys and people who criticize her for this exact thing). I don't think Stannis would put the lives of Westeros on the shoulders of someone who has no idea what being a leader in that sense would entail. Even if it may be their birthright, I think Stannis's own logical sense would tell him it's just not a good idea. Besides having the experience, Gendry doesn't really have any lords or anyone of importance who would back him up, save the Brotherhood.

In addition, to put a bastard on the IT they would first have to be legitimized by a king's decree, and even though Stannis could issue such a decree, he is not anointed, nor does the whole of Westeros follow him, so the legalities of some such situation would need to be considered before they could ever sit on the IT. This situation should only arise if Stannis passes away anyway, by then it would be too late for him to legitimize a bastard, and if we're talking about post-Stannis I think Shireen would be more likely to legitimize Edric, because she actually knows him and they are double cousins -- once on the Baratheon side, once on the Florent side.

I don't read fanfiction myself, I think a lot of the posters on this forum don't either because of GRRM's disapproval -- but that's just a guess. I loved Harry Potter fanfiction, but when it comes to ASOIAF I get more pleasure out of discussion and research than dreaming about AU's and made up stories. ASOIAF is such a behemoth world with so much to discuss, I don't need fanfiction to keep my interest going. :)

One thing I am wondering....

There was a very specific number of Robert bastards given in Cersei's prophesy. Not even half of them are accounted for. Are more going to appear? Why give the number if we will not meet more of them?

There were one or two killed in the Westerlands by Cersei's command, and the baby in the KL whorehouse. Where are the rest?

If anything happens to Edric, Gendry is the next best choice to continue the Baratheon line. Mya, even legitimized will likely marry and her children would probably bear her husband's surname not hers. If Edric does survive and gets Storm's End there are still possibilities for Gendry. He could have the Dreadfort or the Twins (Boltons and Freys are going down, imo).

I've never imagined Gendry on the IT, nor have I seen it suggested. But then I pretty much stick to this site and I don't read ASOIAF fan fic at all.

Archived