The Thing About Robert's Bastards

Tiggy4Real

I think the point is, why focus on the one who won't be the more important?

Stands to reason we need to know Gendry better than Edric for some reason.

For all Edric's breeding and education, he may not even make it out alive and he definitely doesn't have it in him to be the warrior hero his father was and that Gendry is foreshadowed to be. Bring on the Warhammer.

Also, Edric is of inferior strategic position right now. He's not in Westeros and Stannis needs a northern alliance. Both play to Gendry.

Whatever happens, I just don't see Edric really mattering.

One thing I am wondering....

There was a very specific number of Robert bastards given in Cersei's prophesy. Not even half of them are accounted for. Are more going to appear? Why give the number if we will not meet more of them?

There were one or two killed in the Westerlands by Cersei's command, and the baby in the KL whorehouse. Where are the rest?

I think there's still like 4 more unaccounted for because Cersei/Joffrey had a number of them killed, but it didn't look like the amount that was originally referenced. I think he had something like 16 or 18 bastards.

For all Edric's breeding and education, he may not even make it out alive and he definitely doesn't have it in him to be the warrior hero his father was and that Gendry is foreshadowed to be. Bring on the Warhammer.

Also, Edric is of inferior strategic position right now. He's not in Westeros and Stannis needs a northern alliance. Both play to Gendry.

shipping aside, who says Stannis is going to get a Northern Alliance out of Gendry? He could marry Shireen to Rickon

Edric is in Dany/Tyr/Vic/Jorah/Selmy/Arya/Swyft/Massey distance, if anything comes from it I would be shocked, but we have Andrew Estermont with Edric a known Baratheon and a kid, somebody good to have on your invasion force even if just as a prop.

shipping aside, who says Stannis is going to get a Northern Alliance out of Gendry? He could marry Shireen to Rickon

1. Rickon could be the first King of a combined North and Wilding Kingdom. Wildings will not accept Shireen.

2. Rickon could be ruler of the North with what appears to be no male heirs. He can't just up and leave to go the be King with Shireen.

3. Shireen's fate is concerning. I'd expect her to be dead before any legitimising begins anyway.

4. Shireen may be barren because of the Greyscale. A North with no male heirs will take no risks.

5. While Rickon/Shireen is possible and adorable, Gendry and Arya is the better opportunity and should Shireen die its a big plus in the Gendry column. Even with no marriage, Jon Snow is going to look favourably on the person who looked after his beloved sister.

Edric is in Dany/Tyr/Vic/Jorah/Selmy/Arya/Swyft/Massey distance, if anything comes from it I would be shocked, but we have Andrew Estermont with Edric a known Baratheon and a kid, somebody good to have on your invasion force even if just as a prop.

With Aegon in control of Storm's End Edric becomes even less useful. All his allies are conquered. He's going to fight for it back? With what army? So Massey takes him to Stannis, who is going to be the figurehead to retake Storm's End? He looks like Robert but he's 12. He will need someone with considerable force to place him in Storm's End.

If Dany gets him I don't think he'll be much use to her. Stannis isn't worth blackmailing, he's turned from the throne for now. I don't think the Estermonts could muster much of a Stormlands fight back for Edric. Should Dany win, there is no reason to let Robert's son sit in his father's seat.

I fully believe Edric's only hope is the Florents kicking the Tyrells out of the Reach and commanding their finances and armies to push for him when all is said and done. However I think by then Gendry will be all 'Second Coming of Robert at the Trident'.

I kind of see both book and show Gendry starting his own brotherhood.. with blackjack and anvils

I just noticed that no Lordy house appears to use a bull as sigil

House Bulwer. Though it's a bull's skull. I really hope he doesn't take a bull for a sigil.

Edric's got battle hardened knights as his guardians, so he definitely does have potential to be a warrior, but his location would suggest he is more likely to become a sellsword than a lord. Would be kind of nice to see one of Robert's kids live out his dream.

However I think by then Gendry will be all 'Second Coming of Robert at the Trident'.

So who will he impale with the spike end of his hammer? Jon or Aegon?

Bastards have to be acknowledged to get a last name? Because Mya technically wasn't, and her last name is Stone.

Pretty much. Mya is an odd case as there seems to be no public acknowledgement, but she was raised in a castle and her parentage was known to important peopke like her father, Jon Arryn, Ned Stark and Cersei Lannister.

Edit: technically there are no laws about surnames, Gendry could call himself anything he wants, but would face disbelief/mockery without evidence.

I think some people are making an assumption that since Gendry is the only bastard of 'Bert's on the TV show, he's therefore the more important bastard. Maybe GRRM told the writers he has an important role to play? At any rate, they've combined some of his story with Edric's, if I recall, and they'll probably have Gendry do something Mya does in the books before too long.

But...my guess is that the three bastards we know of will each play small but not critical roles in the denouement.

:agree: Gendry imo will be around til the end

So who will he impale with the spike end of his hammer? Jon or Aegon?

Reason suggests it would be Aegon but that would probably involve Gendry somehow getting a force to attack Storm's End. That isn't a priority right now it seems and there isn't much time to do it. More likely he wails on some Others. Jon won't be the only hero in the story. In fact, we may see the Bastard version of Nedbert.

Reason suggests it would be Aegon but that would probably involve Gendry somehow getting a force to attack Storm's End. That isn't a priority right now it seems and there isn't much time to do it. More likely he wails on some Others. Jon won't be the only hero in the story.

My guess is some Freys are going to run into that Hammer quite soon.

as the show will now be running in alignment/ahead of the books more than likely by this time next year, then if Gendrys around at the end of season 4 on the show then i imagine its safe to say he/Edric storm will play a role in the winds of winter.

the writers of the show know about future plots, chracters etc - not sure if they know how it will lead/ or will end but future casting leaks etc give an idea of where the show is heading.

off topic - i tell you what is amazingly poor editing is if you watch one of the season 4 trailers you can see something cersei is holding in her arms if you pause the video!

whoever did that should be fired.

Archived