Rhaegar fighting Robert

Stormland's Fury

Someone may have already stated this, but is there any references in the books to Rhaegar using a Valyrian Steel sword? As heir to the throne he would certainly have been able to get hold of one. Rhaegar's use of such a weapon would help to explain how he managed to severely injure Robert.

No. Furthermore, the only valyrian blade he could have gotten hold of would have been Dark Sister.

Someone may have already stated this, but is there any references in the books to Rhaegar using a Valyrian Steel sword? As heir to the throne he would certainly have been able to get hold of one. Rhaegar's use of such a weapon would help to explain how he managed to severely injure Robert.

I think it was a normal steel sword though. There were some theories that he might injured Robert with a lance since they started the fight on horses, but to my understanding they continued to fight in the river for some time so he had to had a sword to defend himself.

Plate armor doesn't automatically make the person wearing it invincible. Someone fighting an opponent in full plate would just aim for where its weakest, the joints. Rhaegar severely injured Robert in the fight, it's likely that's exactly what he did.

Plate armor doesn't automatically make the person wearing it invincible. Someone fighting an opponent in full plate would just aim for where its weakest, the joints. Rhaegar severely injured Robert in the fight, it's likely that's exactly what he did.

...which would be below the arms (almost impossible to hit except in a half-sword stab), the groin (protected by the saddle) or the visor. Or: holy shit, it's difficult!

...which would be below the arms (almost impossible to hit except in a half-sword stab), the groin (protected by the saddle) or the visor. Or: holy shit, it's difficult!

Was even hurt that bad? He was able to lend Barry his personal master.

From what little we know, one could surmise that a sword was one of the few weapons Rhaegar could use effectively in battle and had confidence in himself when using it in battle. He may not have been trained to use blunt weapons like warhammers because his body type might not have been suited for that type of weaponry. The sword was probably his best option. Sadly, swords don't hold up well against warhammers in full plated armor.

He could have simply had way too much faith in it all working out in his favor because of the prophecy.

It might just come down to story telling purposes. GRRM purposefully putting him at the disadvantage in the fight so it would make sense why he lost if anyone decided to question in depth how Rhaegar lost to Robert if Rhaegar was supposed to be such a well-trained warrior (ya know, thanks to having access to the best teachers available because he was the prince and all).

Really, there are a ton of reasons why he could have been using a sword instead of something potentially more effective.

Personally, I think the first option is the most likely. The sword was probably the weapon Rhaegar wielded best, so of course he'd use it in battle.

Not for a skilled swordsman. Or do you think men in full plate were never killed by swords?

From what little we know, one could surmise that a sword was one of the few weapons Rhaegar could use effectively in battle and had confidence in himself when using it in battle. He may not have been trained to use blunt weapons like warhammers because his body type might not have been suited for that type of weaponry. The sword was probably his best option. Sadly, swords don't hold up well against warhammers in full plated armor.

He could have simply had way too much faith in it all working out in his favor because of the prophecy.

It might just come down to story telling purposes. GRRM purposefully putting him at the disadvantage in the fight so it would make sense why he lost if anyone decided to question in depth how Rhaegar lost to Robert if Rhaegar was supposed to be such a well-trained warrior (ya know, thanks to having access to the best teachers available because he was the prince and all).

Really, there are a ton of reasons why he could have been using a sword instead of something potentially more effective.

Personally, I think the first option is the most likely. The sword was probably the weapon Rhaegar wielded best, so of course he'd use it in battle.

Nope. He'd be trained in the three knightly weapons: sword, mace and longaxe. Avoiding those lessons would be ...difficult at best.

How could he know that he would face Robert 1 on 1? There are thousands of men on the battle field, it's not like there was a prearranged time and spot on the field for them to meet and go at it. Rhaeger had been using a sword throughout the entire war and I'm sure he didn't head to the Trident thinking " oh, when I get there I'll stand in the middle and wait for Robert to come face me.

Was even hurt that bad? He was able to lend Barry his personal master.

Badly enough to not be able to go with Ned to the ToJ. Where one of the best knights in the land was waiting. Yeah, I'm sure Ned would have like to have Robert with him against Dayne.

Not for a skilled swordsman. Or do you think men in full plate were never killed by swords?

And the fact old Bobby was able to send off his personal master shows that the assaults were not fatally.

Badly enough to not be able to go with Ned to the ToJ. Where one of the best knights in the land was waiting. Yeah, I'm sure Ned would have like to have Robert with him against Dayne.

Robert and Ned had a falling out, don't you remember?

Archived