Rhaegar fighting Robert

Stormland's Fury

I don't think Rhaegar "chose to use a sword against Robert knowing he was wearing full plate."

Keep in mind they were in the middle of a battle. Rheagar was undoubtedly fighting numerous opponents on the trident. The sword is more effective against a larger range of opponents than the hammer is. For example someone wearing leather is vulnerable to the sword. Add into account wielding a sword which isn't as heavy as a warhammer means one won't tire as quickly. Rheagar was fighting a full blown battle, and the sword was more versatile and more suited to that task. He didn't ride to the trident and immediately duel Robert. I imagine that perhaps Robert came upon him in the middle of the fight, and Rheagar didn't have time to switch to a more optimal weapon.

Secondly they fought in the middle of the ford. Hardly the most suitable place to fight on horseback. That alone should go to show that during the chaos of the battle, their duel was not taking place under the most optimal circumstances.

I don't think Rhaegar "chose to use a sword against Robert knowing he was wearing full plate."

Keep in mind they were in the middle of a battle. Rheagar was undoubtedly fighting numerous opponents on the trident. The sword is more effective against a larger range of opponents than the hammer is. For example someone wearing leather is vulnerable to the sword. Add into account wielding a sword which isn't as heavy as a warhammer means one won't tire as quickly. Rheagar was fighting a full blown battle, and the sword was more versatile and more suited to that task. He didn't ride to the trident and immediately duel Robert. I imagine that perhaps Robert came upon him in the middle of the fight, and Rheagar didn't have time to switch to a more optimal weapon.

Secondly they fought in the middle of the ford. Hardly the most suitable place to fight on horseback. That alone should go to show that during the chaos of the battle, their duel was not taking place under the most optimal circumstances.

I am pretty convinced by now that Rhaegar must have a lance when he was on horseback and managed to knock off Robert from his horse somehow. Otherwise he couldn't have survived the initial phase of the fight, as a sword would have been completely useless.

Dumb because he lost. We know Rhaegar did well enough to wound Robert. Had he killed him, it might have damaged the rebels morale enough to route them.

Unlikely. There are still Jon Arryn, Ned Stark and Hoster Tully. Furthermore, the loyalists were already in dire straits: an entire flank and ten thousand Dornishmen gone, Ser Barristan Selmy as one of the other subcommanders out of the action and Jon Darry killed as well. Only Rhaegar remained of the top l

Remember, there were some in the Stormlands that Robert had to defeat at the onset of the rebellion. If Robert were to die, they would likely have tried to sue for peace.

If Rhaegar were able to remove Aerys from the throne and hold him accountable for his actions, the North might have found it within themselves to work with Rhaegar.

All speculation, of course.

No one cared about the Stormlanders. They were the least of the rebel forces by a large margin.

Sort of a given in medieval combat. But Rhaegar was a brave man and recognised that the only chance was to close and engage Robert.

EDIT: Bloody hell and that makes me a Council Member. Honoured.

That may be, but like I said before he must have injured him with a lance or so. Robert simply had the longer range and strength, so I assume the fight was over quick once Rhaegar drew his sword.

The gaps are the best bet. But still he would have needed to be dangerously close to Robert.

I don't know if gasps really help tho. What a real plate armor consists of? A plate mail, chainmail and hardened leather? You COULD get through the chainmail and hardener leather with halfswording, but really? Halfswording in a duel where your opponent is watching your every step? That's pretty unrealistic. So I really have no clue how Rhaegar could even harm Robert with a sword.

I don't know if gasps really help tho. What a real plate armor consists of? A plate mail, chainmail and hardened leather? You COULD get through the chainmail and hardener leather with halfswording, but really? Halfswording in a duel where your opponent is watching your every step? That's pretty unrealistic. So I really have no clue how Rhaegar could even harm Robert with a sword.

Also if he managed to actually put his sword through one of the few gaps, Robert would never have shrugged it off like that.

I can't see an extended fight either. Robert pounding on Rhaegar with a hammer can't be defensible for too long, shield or not.

Also if he managed to actually put his sword through one of the few gaps, Robert would never have shrugged it off like that.

I can't see an extended fight either. Robert pounding on Rhaegar with a hammer can't be defensible for too long, shield or not.

That's the thing, no proper duel is ever particularly long, experts always find a way through very quickly. That said it'd make shite reading/viewing if you did it properly!

• 5 months later...

Archived