TWOP/PTV Unsullied Thread, Part VII: [Book & Show Spoilers]

Independent George

(has it ever been outright stated that the Tyrells might be responsible?).

Outright in the sense of the Tyrells themselves? No. But Olenna taking the stone (when she's the only person who could have done that) seems like pretty clear confirmation.

Incidently (this is a bit off topic, but I don't see a thread for all general 'Unsullied" reviews), Grantland's recapper is an 'unsullied' (in the technical sense), and he logics out the same conclusion:

"Once it became clear that Joffrey’s spit-take was fatal, not farcical, a whole world of questions began to swirl. First and foremost, who was responsible for spiking the punch? The obvious suspect is Oberyn Martell. He has the motive and, considering the Lannisters’ taste forDornish wine, the means. (I would also like to take this moment to vote for a Real Housewives–style spinoff in which Cersei and Ellaria Sand stab each other to death with their rapier wits.) Even so, the apparent framing of Tyrion for kingslaying — it must run in the family — seemed either wildly coincidental or devilishly unfair. I honestly can’t imagine who else might be to blame here: The Starks are too disorganized, Daenerys is too distant. After the way it was treated tonight, Sigur Rós has cause, but I don’t believe there’s a word for regicide in Hopelandic. Though Sansa’s new best friend Ser Dontos clearly knew what was coming, he couldn’t have pulled off such a stunt alone — he can’t juggle balls, let alone schemes. And poisoning seems far too straightforward to be the work of Melisandre; she was probably still trying to work out the logistics of smuggling a smoke leech into the Red Keep when she heard the news. No, I think this murder has Martell written all over it."

Where are the fucking mods? Some fucker spoiled the end of the season there. I want to flay that asshole alive along with his entire family.

Fucking hell.. That's just so sad. When is the new forum coming up, as previously discussed? They have to be saved. :(

Are the mods bookwalkers, by the way? Or do they get spoiled as well?

Fucking hell.. That's just so sad. When is the new forum coming up, as previously discussed? They have to be saved. :(

Are the mods bookwalkers, by the way? Or do they get spoiled as well?

I think the mods must be bookwalkers. How else would they be able to tell insider knowledge (other bookwalkers) from just unusually accurate speculation and guessing?

jon's nissa: They're at Previously.TV in a subsection called Unsullied Habitat.

Bill and Rill (:P) Yes, the mods there are Bookwalkers, volunteers who've followed and loved the Unsullied Spec thread for years, just as we here do.

BillBones: Its being worked on. The Unsullied are aware of it, but are trying their best to make a go of it at PTV--Admin there has been very accommodating and really going out of their way to help. But hell, at this point, that little core group of Unsullied have become so famous (look at the view count in that thread!!) that a few days ago, I stumbled across an RPG group recommending their members to the Unsullied thread at PTV for great analysis of the show. And the kicker? They're in South Korea! I think the time will come when a totally closed board will be the only logical answer. But when and if to make that move is the Unsullied's decision, of course.

LOL a user on ptv is saying Olenna poisoned Joffrey, complete with photos and this guy is just not seeing it. Has this happened very often? With one person being so utterly correct and someone not realizing it? Because they just got infinitely more entertaining if this happens regularly. It's like all those "Snape is a good guy" essays back in the Harry Potter days...oh mugglenet how I miss thee.

That poor guy on PTV. He even has photographic proof. The comparison he makes between Lannister/Tyrell and how each family earns their great wealth and respect hit the nail right on the head. I'm hoping an unsullied points out that officially Margaery Tyrell is still a maiden since she insists on never having consummated her marriage with Renly and never even had a chance to do so with Joffrey, making her fit to marry Tommen. Much like Catherine of Aragon who married Arthur Tudor and then Henry VIII, the younger brother after Arthur died.

If you watch and listen closely enough you can see that Olenna drops the purple gem into the glass decanter holding the purple wine that is in front of Margaery. It's in the very long distance shot as Olenna is leaving Sansa and going back to her seat. You can even hear the clank of the gem hitting the bottom of the decanter just before it cuts to Sigur Ros doing their version of Rains up close. It happens at about 32.54 if you're watching a version that has no recap at the beginning. Kudos to the writers and the production team for making it so damn subtle that I didn't catch it until my third viewing of the wedding sequence.

Still no mention of Littlefinger! Even if they get Olenna right, they'll still be in for a shock!

From the NeoGAF thread:

Specifics aside, I will eat my hat of Little Finger wasn't the grand architect of Joffrey's assassination. His absence from the show thus far hasn't gone unnoticed, which I wouldn't be shocked to learn was a hint of some sort. The showrunners are clearly trying to plant various culprits by reminding us throughout the episode that pretty much every character present at the wedding had some motivation to do Joffrey harm. Now I'm sure a few of them were indeed co-conspirators (namely the Jester - I forget his name, as well as Margaery and Olenna), but yeah, Little Finger has to be the puppet master here.

I agree with other theories that the necklace likely played an important role as well. I doubt Sansa had anything to do with it. If my theory is correct and Little Finger was behind it, there's no way he'd risk implicating her (and potential harm coming to her should the plan go wrong). Whoever was actually responsible, it definitely seems like Tyrion was meant to be framed for the murder.

The Cersei hypothesis the Unsullied are reaching is interesting - only because the idea that it was meant for Margaery does seem like a Cersei thing to do, they've set up her resentment pretty well.

I reckon if I were Unsullied, Cersei would be the conclusion I'd draw at this point.

* Already demonstrated fear at loss of relevance

* Demonstrated fear at being unable to control him

* Do anything to spite the Tyrells or prevent the wedding

* Mad enough to do it

* 'Grief' at the end wasn't as convincing as Cat Stark's

If I am reading it right, then the show has actually done a great job of setting up the Whodunnit.

Too many correct details for it to be legit imo.

Please read the thread rules at the beginning of this thread. We do not out bookwalkers here. We can discuss the general problem of bookwalkers constantly trying to invade the Unsullied, but we cannot repost someone's words here and then accuse them. Our Mods here have shut down this thread before for this very thing, and will do so again. Please edit.

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from.

This thread is a massive love-letter to the Unsullied. By and large, we love their tangents and blind alleys; we follow them to re-experience the thrill of watching the story unfold for the first time. When they get something wrong, the comments here tend to be directed at the showrunners, not the viewers.

Hey guys...just FYI, if you feel like something is amiss over at PTV, you can PM me directly here. I'm a mod there.

And yes, I love these viewers and their unabashed enthusiasm. I'm quite protective of them. :p

Where are the fucking mods? Some fucker spoiled the end of the season there. I want to flay that asshole alive along with his entire family.

I was in class. It was deleted within 5 minutes. Sadly, we can't sit on the board all day, although I do check in every hour or so. :(

I was looking to see if Olenna took one of the crystals off Sansa's Necklace and I couldn;t see the sleight of hand muyself, though I am re-watching tonight and I'll watch much more closely. However I did not notice a missing crystal from Sansa's necklace when there wer front on shots of Sansa post-hair fussing from Olenna. One person posted that they saw Olenna remove a crystal from the necklace. Did anyone else actually see Olenna removing a crystal? We of the bookwalking clan new exactly how this was going to go down, so we're attuned to Olenna's actions. But I swear I didn't see anything.

Next episode will we see Sansa remove the necklace and notice a missing crystal? A bit too much of a giveaway for the audience don't you think? Or will it be a good thing, a delicious little secret between the writers, the Tyrells and the audience, well maybe and Sansa who might eventually come to realise teh significance of the missing crystal.

And Damnit! I just realised there is going to be no resolution of who sent the assassin for Bran back in Season 1. The big "reveal" was with the presentation of Widow's Wail where Joff says he's familiar with Valyrian steel and Tyrion quips about the dragon bone handle, and Joff gives Tyrion a dark look. I have been so looking forward to the Unsullied realising the meaning of that interplay and saying Huzzah! all is revealed. Oh well, maybe one day when the series is all finished some of them will ask a bookwalker about who actually tried to assassinate Bran.

Archived