TWOP/PTV Unsullied Thread, Part VII: [Book & Show Spoilers]

Independent George

I think at this point their own site with some hired bookwalkers to moderate would be the best idea. I would say I don't have the time to help, but actually I pretty much spend all my time here. Maybe something could be set up?

The dream would be a read only subforum here with exclusive membership and some of the more prolific posters on this thread as mods. Exclusive as in the people from the old thread, the mods, anyone the Unsullied invite and no one else. Obviously that's a lot of work for Ran and Linda though, but it'd be great if Westeros.org could help.

True. BUT, the PTV admin (and, his choice, of course, his board) will not allow any new Unsullied Thread mini-mod to issue threats, no banning, no saying YOU CANNOT POST IN THIS THREAD, none of that, so, the hordes just keep pouring in. Understandable, that site hosts a gazillion shows and they're being swamped with TWoP refugees coming in from all those TWoP threads and gazillion shows. But, the GoT Unsullied are unique in the GoT world, which is what we here care about. Just trying to cast about to find them an actual safe GoT-related home where they can be left alone to come up with the amazing insights they produce. Remember this one? 'Ghost Grass' the Dothraki legend about what will destroy their world, must be...snow.' I remember back when I read that and my jaw dropped. I've read the books half a dozen times, never thought of that. It was brilliant.

Anyway, just reporting the situation as it stands this evening. Things are looking grim. But somewhere, someplace, this thread phenom must be able to find a safe home? 6,600 posts = 1.7 million views. That must be worth something, to some site, somewhere.

Is there a thread over there discussing this? I couldn't find it. I read the post in the unsullied thread as meaning a volonteer mod could do those things, but there might be information elsewhere I missed.

Is it decided that they need a new home, again, or can the situation still be solved at PTV? It'd just be shame if they had to move again.

EDIT: if they were to move here, which could work, someone could just post a link directly to the thread in at PTV. That way they won't risk being spoiled by forum-or threadtitles at all.

Providing them with a direct link would work fine. Their current site has many Full Spoiler threads and it isn't an issue.

The problem that those people are having right now is the exact reason why I started reading the books during season 2. At least you're mostly spoil-proof once you've read the books. Now of course the show-only stuff can still be spoiled, but show-only watchers probably don't know the difference between the source material and the invented material.

I have the resources to create a dedicated forum site and make the Unsullied leader the admin of it, or only allow users that are known by her to be true Unsullied. I've never contacted her directly, so I'm not sure it that's something they would be interested in, or she would want to run. Not sure how you solve the problem of allowing new Unsullied into such a forum, but I'm sure something could be figured out.

ETA: I know you guys don't know me from Adam, but I've been lurking for quite a while now, and have followed the Unsullied thread since its beginning. I also used to police book vs. show differences at the now defunct Screened.com.

I have the resources to create a dedicated forum site and make the Unsullied leader the admin of it, or only allow users that are known by her to be true Unsullied. I've never contacted her directly, so I'm not sure it that's something they would be interested in, or she would want to run. Not sure how you solve the problem of allowing new Unsullied into such a forum, but I'm sure something could be figured out.

ETA: I know you guys don't know me from Adam, but I've been lurking for quite a while now, and have followed the Unsullied thread since its beginning. I also used to police book vs. show differences at the now defunct Screened.com.

Thank you, Sky, and thanks to all for the input and suggestions. I'm passing your suggestions along. FacelessLittleBird, no there's no discussion thread over there for this issue. Hopefully, some sort of solution will come out of all this, and yes, protar, seems a read-only thread would be the answer, though it still needs 24/7 modding (is that a word?). Anyway, thanks from them to y'all for everyone's concern and suggestions. Lots of behind the scenes meetings and discussions going on about the issue this morning. Hopefully, some solutions...

Hopefully, that won't be needed, but it's good to have options. The other alternative is creating a private Yahoo! Group for the Unsullied.

I'm actually quite pissed right now that they got spoiled on Ice as the name of Ned's sword without realizing it. I'm pretty sure it happened as a result of loose talk in the supposedly spoiler-free episode thread, which has now filtered out to the Unsullied thread.

I'm actually quite pissed right now that they got spoiled on Ice as the name of Ned's sword without realizing it. I'm pretty sure it happened as a result of loose talk in the supposedly spoiler-free episode thread, which has now filtered out to the Unsullied thread.

Yeah, I noticed that too, and had the same reaction.

Hopefully, that won't be needed, but it's good to have options. The other alternative is creating a private Yahoo! Group for the Unsullied.

It's not just Ice either. Grey Wind's name and the term greenseer have also been used.

I just really hope it sorts itself out soon so they can concentrate on their speculation, and don't have to worry about this. But they have a lot of people looking out for them so I think it will.

EDIT: thank you iheartserverus. It's really great that so many here care to help them.

And besides Ice, Grey Wind and greenseer, one of the idiot fakeUnsullied, chatting about the new episode, remarked how dangerous the Red Viper seems and how terrifying Drogon looks. Neither of those names has appeared in the show as yet. Whoever here said it must be some kind of mental illness is right, IMO. Anyway, discussions are underway this morning, and I have passed along your suggestions and Skywarpgold's generous offer.

On topic, here's a funny line from an unsullied at NeoGAF.

I liked Ros too. I was shocked to see her dead and it was around that time I started to hate on Little Finger. Such a bastard. I hope he pisses off the nutty woman and gets flung out of that little hole in the Aryie <sp??>.

:P

And besides Ice, Grey Wind and greenseer, one of the idiot fakeUnsullied, chatting about the new episode, remarked how dangerous the Red Viper seems and how terrifying Drogon looks. Neither of those names has appeared in the show as yet. Whoever here said it must be some kind of mental illness is right, IMO. Anyway, discussions are underway this morning, and I have passed along your suggestions and Skywarpgold's generous offer.

On topic, here's a funny line from an unsullied at NeoGAF.

Thanks for contacting them iheartseverus! I've gone ahead and spun up a forum site for them and am in the process of solidifying the user registration process and board permissions to make it difficult for unsavory spoilers to gain access to their threads there. Let me know if this is the direction they want to go, and I'll PM you the address so they can get started, then we can open it up to general viewing when they're comfortable (I'm also happy to make you or anyone else who wants to help keep them safe mods there). Even if they want to do something else, this is a fun exercise for me regardless :-)

Thanks for contacting them iheartseverus! I've gone ahead and spun up a forum site for them and am in the process of solidifying the user registration process and board permissions to make it difficult for unsavory spoilers to gain access to their threads there. Let me know if this is the direction they want to go, and I'll PM you the address so they can get started, then we can open it up to general viewing when they're comfortable (I'm also happy to make you or anyone else who wants to help keep them safe mods there). Even if they want to do something else, this is a fun exercise for me regardless :-)

Aren't you kind!! For right now, they're still trying to work it out at PTV and the Admin there is doing all he can to try to accommodate them. I'm curious, though, (and totally techno-ignorant about how such things are created) could that site be a place where they can privately communicate with one another, before coming back into their public thread at PTV? PTV doesn't have a messaging system at all, so for now the Unsullied are still using the old messaging system at TWoP, but that will be closed down on May 31. Thank you again, you're very kind!

Aren't you kind!! For right now, they're still trying to work it out at PTV and the Admin there is doing all he can to try to accommodate them. I'm curious, though, (and totally techno-ignorant about how such things are created) could that site be a place where they can privately communicate with one another, before coming back into their public thread at PTV? PTV doesn't have a messaging system at all, so for now the Unsullied are still using the old messaging system at TWoP, but that will be closed down on May 31. Thank you again, you're very kind!

I'm happy to do it! It would be a sad day indeed if they weren't able to speculate in peace anymore (and we weren't able to enjoy watching them do it!). Yes, the site could definitely be used for that. It's a full featured board, with PMs, and while I'm not familiar with a PM limit on it, even if there is, I can likely change it in the admin settings.

Amazing! I'll pass along our exchanges here. That's a wonderful resource you've created and if/when chaos breaks out again at PTV, fabulous to know they'll have a safe island to escape to. Meanwhile, its a place they can hold private meetings and discussions, hash things out, whatever. You're wonderful, thank you. I'll be back here with their response when it comes in.

Sounds like a plan! And not a problem!

Skywarpgold, I'm going to send you a PM--check your messages!

Apparently, the Unsullied vote among themselves about any significant changes they're going to undertake, and the voting process will be going in for the next few days. Meanwhile, here is their leader's message that she asked me to convey to all who have been so helpful here. (She asked me to use her name for this message, so I'm breaking our self-imposed rule --just this one time--of not naming them when we quote their posts).

If he is willing to do that, that would be great. I do want to let you know, it's actually like to take a few days to get everyone to check in, and make their views known, so I'm afraid I don't have a lot of immediate answers for you, Jaye.
I really and truly appreciate all the help you've been giving us and the offers of help from various people. Please, please convey that to everyone. We are all deeply touched and I am in particular. I know there's a rule over there about using any of our screennames, but please feel free to hint heavily that "In particular, still shimpy said to please thank all of you from the bottom of her wordy heart."

Archived