Stannis or Euron: Who is the better naval commander?

starkbannerman87

Euron hasn't won any battles…...yet. He came up with the idea to torch the Laanister fleet at anchor but it was Victarion that did it. He has also sent away the Ironborn's biggest war asset to the other side of the world. Unless his warlocks pull some serious spells the Redwyne fleet is going to make short work of him and his army ending his campaign for the Iron Throne almost as soon as it began.

Stannis on the other hand smashed the Iron Born of Fair Isle. Robert sent Stannis because he knew he could trust him to destroy their fleet. He may not have liked him but when Robert wanted something done he sent his brother.

Euron hasn't won any battles…...yet. He came up with the idea to torch the Laanister fleet at anchor but it was Victarion that did it. He has also sent away the Ironborn's biggest war asset to the other side of the world. Unless his warlocks pull some serious spells the Redwyne fleet is going to make short work of him and his army ending his campaign for the Iron Throne almost as soon as it began.

Stannis on the other hand smashed the Iron Born of Fair Isle. Robert sent Stannis because he knew he could trust him to destroy their fleet. He may not have liked him but when Robert wanted something done he sent his brother.

Euron hasn't won battles ? What was that little thing at the Shield Islands, then ?

And Victarion didn't do anything more at the Lannister sack than what he usually does: Kill guys in battle. That's pretty much all he's good for. If you think he was capable of planning the assault on the Lannister fleet, you're delusional. Theon points it out: Euron's plan, Vic carried it out.

Stannis defeated the Iron Fleet at Fair Isle. And who was commanding that ? That's right: Victarion. Aka not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Until Euron and Stannis have been tested against each other (which may be never), I'll put my money on Euron.

Well Euron is certainly good at making plans, but Stannis smashed the Iron Fleet in its element.

Stannis trapped the Iron Fleet in a narrow sound, because Vic is notoriously thick. All honor to Stannis for carrying it out, but it doesn't even come close to the complexity of Euron's plan for attacking the Shield Islands. Even Victarion has to give him props for that one, and he hates Euron.

Stannis trapped the Iron Fleet in a narrow sound, because Vic is notoriously thick. All honor to Stannis for carrying it out, but it doesn't even come close to the complexity of Euron's plan for attacking the Shield Islands. Even Victarion has to give him props for that one, and he hates Euron.

I said Euron was good at making plans. Clearly Stannis is too.

I said Euron was good at making plans. Clearly Stannis is too.

Yeah, I just think Euron is better, that's all. A pincer in a narrow sound isn't exactly unheard of, which is why only Vic would have put himself in that position to begin with.

But you do raise a good point about Euron and loyalty. For all his awesome-evil speeches, he does seem to be the underdog there.

Imry Florent was in charge of Stannis' fleet at Blackwater

I see, so only when Stannis wins, is he actually in charge. While with Euron, it's actually the opposite. Right.

Stannis' army, Stannis' plan. Imry Florent commanded the ships, much like Vic commanded the Ironborn for the Lannister sack.

Well, Euron carried out an amphibious assault that actually worked, as opposed to became a horrible defeat.

Well I'm assuming if the Ironborn had wildfire to deal with and an army of 80000 showing up unexpectedly their assault wouldn't have been so successful. I'm not saying his taking of the Shield Islands wasn't impressive, but he had a lot less to go against than Stannis did at KL.

Overall though, I'm going to say Stannis, since he's actually commanded a battle of navy against navy (large navies at that).

Id say for navigation, Euron is clearly better. Has Stannis ever even left sight of land?

It's pretty clear from Vic's chapter after the attack on the Shield Islands that Euron's maneuver with taking the entire fleet out of sight of land is pretty much unheard of. So my bet would be no.

Archived