Should I read A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons before or after season of Game of Thrones? NO SPOILERS!

Throne

Have you read the first three books? If not, start with those... Don't even think of reading AFFC and ADWD unless you have read the first three books,

I'm on the 63rd (out of 69) chapter of A Clash of Kings and I'll read A Storm of Swords over the summer.

I'm on the 63rd (out of 69) chapter of A Clash of Kings and I'll read A Storm of Swords over the summer.

Then, when you finish ASOS, move to AFFC. Whenever it is...

I would wait to read. I watched season 1 first, loved every second. then read all the books. now all the suspense is gone. I understand it better but I miss being unsullied.

Wouldn't the suspense be gone from the books otherwise?

This is more of a personal taste thing. I'd say read the books first, but that's based off my own tastes and not exactly helpful to you. It depends largely on how you want to experience the books and show. It might be helpful to consider other books and screen adaptations that you've enjoyed (or not enjoyed). Are you more of a book person or a film person? Did you prefer to read the books first? Did watching the film hamper your enjoyment of the books or vice versa? Are you able to ignore potential spoilers from the books or the show and if not, would spoilers ruin it for you? Etc, etc.

I haven't really read many books so I don't know if I can make a good decision. I read Silence of the Lambs before watching it and that ruined the movie for me but while reading AGot and ACoK I found my self wishing I didn't know the outcome of cliffhangers.

Depends on your tastes do you like the books or the show better? Personally, I would recommend the books as that allows you to visual and come up with your own interpretation of the events before the show can influence how you see certain aspects of the story. But really, it is just up to you about which one you would rather be less spoiled about.

In general, I find that if I read a book first then watch an adaptation, the movie disappoints me. So by that reasoning, it would be better to watch the series first, enjoy it, then read the books and be delighted by how richer in detail they are. It's got to be a lot better to discover that there are more characters, locations and plot points than it would be to lament the ones that you expect to be there but aren't.

That said, I personally read the books first, then watched the series.

It was after the first season had ended, so the detailed order was:

I read the first book, then watched the first season.

Then I read all the rest of the books, and after season 2 ended I re-read the second book, and so on..

Also, if I read the books first, I can catch up to everyone else online and spoilers will no longer be a problem for me and I can even have discussions about it. But otherwise, watching first and reading does seem tempting.

Also, if I read the books first, I can catch up to everyone else online and spoilers will no longer be a problem for me and I can even have discussions about it. But otherwise, watching first and reading does seem tempting.

I think another good question to ask yourself is how you want to interact with the material. If you are interested in discussing the books and/or show with your friends or online, it would be worthwhile to read the books as soon as you are able regardless of the show schedule.

For me, there are some books that end up ruining the film for me, but that's usually because I found the books to be better. The opposite has been true at times, too. I enjoy both these books and the screen adaptation and I've found it easy to keep them separate in my head. I'm thankful I read the books first because the text was so rich but I haven't found that the show to be lacking. I do enjoy seeing how they change things to make a successful adaptation, even if I might rant about them altering certain things (like character behaviors). I knew Ned was going to die because I had already read it, but I didn't feel cheated or that the scene was ruined because the actors, the dialogue, the set, the costumes, etc all made it feel like new to me.

This isn't the case for everyone. I have a friend who doesn't like the show and doesn't watch. It's why it comes down to an issue of personal taste. Chances are, though, if you already like reading the books and like the show, you'll enjoy having read all the books without waiting to first watch the corresponding season.

I don't really want to read the books and watch the show at the same time as there are many characters/story lines and it'll probably get confusing. So I guess I'll read the 3rd-5th books once season 4 finishes but before season 5 starts.

there are signs that some material from aFfC and aDwD will be used in Season 4, so you probably would be spoiled a bit by the show if you do watch it, but as far as I can tell, there wont be anything too dramatic, like a red wedding moment, or anything like that

Personally I dont regret my decision to read the books, but I will admit that the show isnt quite as good after reading them. But if I didnt have to wait a year between seasons, I probably would have watched all the show first.

Let me explain you how it happened to me to form an opinion:

I've first watched the show season 1-2 so i was at the half of ASoS.The show amazed me...so damn great so much suspense...Then i couldn't wait and in this summer i've read the books,all of them.I was even more amazed.It was boring at the begining i admit..the show spoiled things...but as i continued reading i found GRRM's style overwhelming with details and it was pure art.To be honest the show sumarises very good the first 2 books.The true disapointment of the 2-nd was Arya's Harrenhal part and Robb's campaign,and Jaime's.After i looked on the map and i followed Robb's campaign i realized i missed so much(even reading only the books..imagine only the show)..the biggest disapointment...but then again it's a 1 hour show..

Now regarding your problem...if you have watched the show and read all first 3 books entirely!!and carefully and got used to >70% of the characters(from the books)...i suggest: Dont watch the show !!! It'll surely miss alot and from what i saw from the trailers they are going to mix some elements from book 4 and even 5 with the unfinished book 3..which in my opinion is a MESS !!The show will be good i'm not going to deny it but after you see it and then read the books you will have a bitter taste in your mouth..just like i had.

Anyway the core in my opinion that shouldnt be seen before reading the books is books 2,3 ! I know that trying not to look at it will be hard but you got a choice...shallow good show and then bitter taste...or reading asap ! and then a smaller bitter taste because i bet the show will make even the biggest sceptics watch it fervously.

On the other hand after you read the books the only thing that remains to be done is reading the Dunk and Egg novellas and then staying on this forum all day all night and discussing/debating and brainstorming about the fate of the characters which is cool too if you think about it..and there are LOTS of GOOD MATERIAL to be read ,until GRRM ends our torment and releases the 6-th book probably end of 2014 begin of 2015.

In conclusion is up to you.But if you already know about this forum and read some theories,or i bet you stood on the section of still reading..i definetly suggest reading the books !

Archived