Should I read A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons before or after season of Game of Thrones? NO SPOILERS!

Throne

Let me explain you how it happened to me to form an opinion:

I've first watched the show season 1-2 so i was at the half of ASoS.The show amazed me...so damn great so much suspense...Then i couldn't wait and in this summer i've read the books,all of them.I was even more amazed.It was boring at the begining i admit..the show spoiled things...but as i continued reading i found GRRM's style overwhelming with details and it was pure art.To be honest the show sumarises very good the first 2 books.The true disapointment of the 2-nd was Arya's Harrenhal part and Robb's campaign,and Jaime's.After i looked on the map and i followed Robb's campaign i realized i missed so much(even reading only the books..imagine only the show)..the biggest disapointment...but then again it's a 1 hour show..

Now regarding your problem...if you have watched the show and read all first 3 books entirely!!and carefully and got used to >70% of the characters(from the books)...i suggest: Dont watch the show !!! It'll surely miss alot and from what i saw from the trailers they are going to mix some elements from book 4 and even 5 with the unfinished book 3..which in my opinion is a MESS !!The show will be good i'm not going to deny it but after you see it and then read the books you will have a bitter taste in your mouth..just like i had.

Anyway the core in my opinion that shouldnt be seen before reading the books is books 2,3 ! I know that trying not to look at it will be hard but you got a choice...shallow good show and then bitter taste...or reading asap ! and then a smaller bitter taste because i bet the show will make even the biggest sceptics watch it fervously.

On the other hand after you read the books the only thing that remains to be done is reading the Dunk and Egg novellas and then staying on this forum all day all night and discussing/debating and brainstorming about the fate of the characters which is cool too if you think about it..and there are LOTS of GOOD MATERIAL to be read ,until GRRM ends our torment and releases the 6-th book probably end of 2014 begin of 2015.

In conclusion is up to you.But if you already know about this forum and read some theories,or i bet you stood on the section of still reading..i definetly suggest reading the books !

The problem with me and reading is that I probably have some form of A.D.D because my mind starts wandering even if what I'm reading is really interesting to me so finishing the books will probably take me a very long time. It sometimes takes me hours to read a chapter. But since I'm really interested in what's going to happen I don't think I'll be ignoring season 4 of GoT.

Well then go ahead watch the show.If you read the first 3 books as i said,and i hope David Benioff and D.B.Weiss don't mix up too much with ADWD you are most likely not going to miss alot from book 4,it won't be a big deal,still you'll miss subtilities..and some interesting facts which require a close reading.

Well then go ahead watch the show.If you read the first 3 books as i said,and i hope David Benioff and D.B.Weiss don't mix up too much with ADWD you are most likely not going to miss alot from book 4,it won't be a big deal,still you'll miss subtilities..and some interesting facts which require a close reading.

Thanks!!

Archived