The Dashing Lord Snow

specialsnowflake

This is a pretty shallow topic, but people are always talking about the "hottest women in Westeros", etc., so I don't feel too ashamed.

Anyway, I often see people commenting that Jon is plain-looking because he looks like Ned, but is that really true? It could be true, but it is not necessarily so. The two other people who look like Ned—Arya and Lyanna—are described as pretty and beautiful, respectively, but they've still got "the Stark look": long face, grey eyes, dark brown hair. That's all the description we get of Jon, too, and for all we know he's got the Stark look plus the beauty. I mean, his dad was a pretty good-looking guy. He may have inherited his high cheekbones or his dashing smile or whatever else makes people beautiful.

Regardless, Jon Snow will always be attractive to me whether he's handsome or not (being Lord Commander of a badass order with badass cloaks and a badass creed will do that to a guy), but it still annoys be a little when people automatically assume he's not good-looking. Like I said, pretty shallow topic, but he's a fictional guy and I'm a (slightly) obsessive fangirl.

I can't imagine Jon Snow as ugly or plain-looking, perhaps for the same reasons you point out.

I'm not sure he is ever described as handsome, except by Wildlings. But we have to remember Jon's story is told mainly from his own point of view, and he's not exactly the narcisistic type. Neither is he a sex fiend like Theon. I just don't think his own looks are that important to him. Plus, apart from wildling women like Ygrette, we mostly see him surrounded by other men.

He is probably not the most handsome guy around, Satin would beat him to it but I think that he borders between ordinary/handsome.

You can resemble someone who is pretty and not be pretty yourself or resemble plain person and still be beautiful. Also pretty parents don't automatically grant pretty children, though the chances are better than with bad looking people.

IMO Jon is more handsome than Ned was at his age, but I have no strong proof for that, so maybe it's just fangirl in me talking.

Either way I agree that the POVs around Jon wouldn't give us much information. Only female POV around is Mel and she is much more interested in men's ability to make shadowbabies than in their looks. For example IIRC correctly Jaime never calls Loras pretty, though he looks undoubtedly very attractive.

In my head he's Hot... Ygritte seems to think he's special. Other wildlings comment on his pretty face, his family members are also called atractive. His mum, his cousin who looks a lot lke him, His dad. His Uncle whom he looks a lot like is not called handsome but he's hardly a minger.

Besides it not all about classic good looks, as has also been said, he's got a lot of the acrutriments of attractiveness. going on, good fighter, badass sword, good moral founding, scars, huge direwolf familiar, cloak, fur and leather, looks a bit scruffy, mmmmmmm

I'm more into standing around drooling over builders than I am men in suits though..so.

Also I kinda see Jon as more of the kind of guy who you catch a wiff of and get all wet, you know sweat attraction as opposed to oh wow isn't he good looking attraction.

He is probably not the most handsome guy around, Satin would beat him to it but I think that he borders between ordinary/handsome.

You can resemble someone who is pretty and not be pretty yourself or resemble plain person and still be beautiful. Also pretty parents don't automatically grant pretty children, though the chances are better than with bad looking people.

IMO Jon is more handsome than Ned was at his age, but I have no strong proof for that, so maybe it's just fangirl in me talking.

Either way I agree that the POVs around Jon wouldn't give us much information. Only female POV around is Mel and she is much more interested in men's ability to make shadowbabies than in their looks. For example IIRC correctly Jaime never calls Loras pretty, though he looks undoubtedly very attractive.

This is my view of things. He's probably on the border between ordinary and handsome (or simply ordinarily handsome), as he resembles Ned quite alot while Ygritte still claims that's got a pretty face. We won't really know until someone elses POV gives us a good description though, as Jon seem to care very little for how he looks.

Well, one should also keep in mind that he's had a life of hardship (within the series), a couple of serious injuries, scars on his face, depreession, stress and more recently a case of death. Though, for some people these would be a plus.

There was a thread long ago about this question: Is Jon Snow handsome ? It was a very funny thread to read especially with the curiously amount of time Satin was mentionned and the debat around homosexuality in the Night's Watch.

People reached the conclusion that we definitly need a Satin POV and that Jon was probably more than average but not handsome, in an attractive (because of his aura) way, based on the reactions of the few females around him : they all want more or less to jump him but all for differents reasons. Ygritte because he spared her and she think he has a pretty face, Mellissandre for his power and his shadow-babies making ability, Val is "wildlings-flirting with him since he saved the free folk, Alys Karstark would certainly gladly agree to marry him instead of the magnar (because he helped her and is a Stark) and I think Shireen has a crush on him.

Well, one should also keep in mind that he's had a life of hardship (within the series), a couple of serious injuries, scars on his face, depreession, stress and more recently a case of death. Though, for some people these would be a plus.

Scars are sexy ! And a life of hardship, plus coming back from the dead is pretty badass

This is my view of things. He's probably on the border between ordinary and handsome (or simply ordinarily handsome), as he resembles Ned quite alot while Ygritte still claims that's got a pretty face. We won't really know until someone elses POV gives us a good description though, as Jon seem to care very little for how he looks.

He is reasonably good looking but not too pretty because men shouldn't be 'pretty'. My avatar is how i imagine JS

All of these sum up my view of Jon pretty well. I don't want him to be "pretty" or the most handsome guy out there. I just think he's a bit more handsome than a lot of people give him credit for.

All of these sum up my view of Jon pretty well. I don't want him to be "pretty" or the most handsome guy out there. I just think he's a bit more handsome than a lot of people give him credit for.

Being beautiful don't always equal sex appeal. I think Jon has quite the raw sex appeal, while Robb was handsome, but in the end, girls always go for the dark and mysterious men.

I think Jon is handsome given the interest other woman have shown him.

Though, I think his is more a rough beauty like his mother, compared to traditional handsome like Robb or Loras. Sort of like how you would describe a wolf. Beautiful and deadly at the same time.

That, and like Arya, his looks would improve if he actually gave a *****.

No one ever described him as handsome or anything, but just to prove guys with long, narrow faces and brown hair can be (very) hot (at least IMO), look at the first guy in the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRAb9cwHnA

You can see him better in other videos though. The one above is just fitting.

This is a pretty shallow topic, but people are always talking about the "hottest women in Westeros", etc., so I don't feel too ashamed.

It might be a little bit shallow, but many of us secretly wonder about the same thing, so don't feel ashamed :)

Anyway, speaking as a girl, some men are nice to look at, but when it comes to feelings and falling in love, as long as the guy is decent looking, personality > appearance.

Archived