How would you rate episode 401?

Ran

How would you rate episode 401?  

705 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Something really seems to have missed the mark here. After so many people wanting to see a Stark, and Arya in particular, start to fight back, when it happens they appear to get put off by it.

A podcast I follow had the same reaction. The season preview episode lamented the amount of time before 'Arya finally strikes back - it has been hinted for 3 seasons now. They need to make it happen"

* Arya gets stabby*

Ep1 Review podcast "The whole Arya deal was creepy and I was really put off by the triumphant music" - and this was one week after they called for Arya to start getting stabby. They got their wish and promptly turned their noses up at it.

Good answer to my being critical... better than most, anyway.

But hang on just a sec here.

I remember Arya's first kill way back at King's Landing. That was perfect; sudden and shocking to Arya. The time she killed that little crew of loud-mouths after the Red Wedding was nicely done as well.

However, this time, bot the men she kiled were already on the floor, she was basically being a Jakal following the Hound around and picking up his scraps.

That bothered me about as much as how much she enjoys killing now.

However, this time, bot the men she kiled were already on the floor, she was basically being a Jakal following the Hound around and picking up his scraps.

That bothered me about as much as how much she enjoys killing now.

Polliver was on his feet and behind the Hound, and fit enough to have put a sword through Sandor's neck if Arya had not ham strung him.

Edited by boojam

I'm a bit late with this comment but I'm just not sure how folks rate the season opener as they would any other episode. Given the demands (setting up the stories, making introductions, etc.), I always have to rate the opener as the opener. It has to be viewed thru that lens, IMHO.

With that said, 9.

Perhaps this episode really merits a 7; but I'm so glad the season started up that I gave it an 8 anyway. The best parts, as is not uncommon, involved the Lannisters, especially Jaime. Sansa was decent; she's more open with Tyrion than in the books, but also has more of an attitude. I like the bit with the Hound and Arya at the end.

What had me scratching my head was the bit with Grey Worm and Daario. What the? I wasn't sure what was going on with the wildlings, either.

Anyway, I found it good but not great.

The valyrian sword scene was epic. Branding down Ned Stark's Sword of the First Men was insane. How it was made and then given in vain to Both

"Gold Hand" Kingslayer and Joffrey upset me when they got them. But the ritual done by Lord Tywin was like ending the reign in the north.

That to me, opens a lot of doors in the great war that is coming.

The introduction of OBeryn to the pinkmen (past the bi scene) was crazy too. i really like how he just came and arrived in king's landing and not formally

introduced to tyrion and the future exchange between the two was epic.

it shows that the sins of the lannisters are once again haunts tyrion, now that he is only master of coin and not hand of the king.

i really appreciated the premiere.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...