How would you rate episode 403?

Ran

How would you rate episode 403?  

629 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Agreed. The low rating is shocking. This episode was a thousand times better than the episodes from season 3 and 2 that had about the same rating.

I'm somewhat surprised as well (only somewhat, I know this forum). The episode wasn't great, but it was consistently strong (except Sam), and far better than a couple of real duds that are in previous seasons.

These forums are pretty well known for over-the-top reactions, particularly when something is presented differently than it was in the books.

You'd think they showed Ser Davos killing babies the way the community is "outraged" about it, so all of that invented disgust just to be a part of something seemingly controversial unfortunately overshadows what was easily the best written episode of this season so far.

Touche. I've lost count how many times I've seen the phrase "character assassination" or I fault this episode because one scene was "different from the books." I wish people wouldn't be so sensitive and realize the show is completely separate from the books.

I'm somewhat surprised as well (only somewhat, I know this forum). The episode wasn't great, but it was consistently strong (except Sam), and far better than a couple of real duds that are in previous seasons.

True it really isn't that shocking, but it's disappointing because the quality of this episode was fantastic. I guess I'm just not so picky that I will fault an entire episode if I don't enjoy one scene. The funny thing is I've seen amazing reviews from non-book viewers. I heard one person say it was his favorite episode ever because he loved the dialogue so much. A little extreme, I know, but I can certainly understand his opinion more than someone who gives the episode a 5 because one scene caused them to blow a gasket. The fact is last night's episode was probably better than anything else we'll see on TV until the next GOT episode airs.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Touche. I've lost count how many times I've seen the phrase "character assassination" or I fault this episode because one scene was "different from the books." I wish people wouldn't be so sensitive and realize the show is completely separate from the books.

It's not just the concept of the show being different than the books, it's that the community as a whole has become a more blatant circlejerk than most subreddits. Try to read through a single thread without seeing "Agency, male gaze, gratuitous, butchered, character assassination, heavy handed" or whatever the newest hot word on the forum is. So some people voice outrage and then suddenly everyone comes out to declare how something relatively ambiguous caused them such distress and physical pain that they're giving the show one last chance before abandoning it.

But another contributing factor is that nothing major happened, really. Some people will rate last week's episode higher just because Joffrey died, as the impact of that single episode is considerably more memorable.

8/10.

The immediate follow-up to the last episode's ending was greatly done, especially Sansa's escape and her meeting with Littlefinger. I was pleased by Lena's acting in the last episode and in this one she continues to do a brilliant job. The actor who really stood out for me in the Arya's scenes was Finbar Lynch as the farmer. John Bradley also did an amazing job, as well as Pedro Pascal and Charles Dance (I am very hopeful that the plot around Tyrion's trial and Elia will be great). Tyrion's farewell to Podrick was quite sad, to be honest.

The one thing that I found cheesy was the fact that they established a minor character (Guymon from the village south of the Wall) solely for the purpose of having a character of importance kill Ygritte out of revenge. It at least seems like that is what they are going to do. Not necessary for me.

The Meereen scene was well-done, I liked almost everything about it (particularly Great Worm - Jacob Anderson did not disappoint so far; Dany's speech and her acting overall except a few weird close-up shots; Daario is good and serves the purpose, Huisman knows what he is doing and it sure looks like they are moving into A Dance With Dragons material this season, if not significantly plot-wise, then at least concerning characters' relationships and motivations; and it is good to see that they introduced Hizdahr as a familiar face).

I really liked the episode, it was better than the premiere (at least regarding action scenes), but did not outdo the second episode in my eyes. There was some remarkable acting, visual quality and despite some moments of action (created mainly by photography, visual effects and momentary suspense), I see this episode as a conclusion to the previous episode and a quality build-up for the events to come.

Episodes 1, 2 and 3: 7;10;8/10.

Edited by RadoLukacs

Gave it an 8. I am loving this season way more than last (despite the RW). This episode was so good I was surprised when the credits rolled. If it wasn't for the Sam, Mole's Town, stuff... it would have been nearly perfect in that regard.

I didn't care about Book-Tywin much, but am LOVING Dance's portrayal. As the show correctly points out, "all men must die", so when the time comes I will miss that actor very much.

Kind of liked the Queen of Thornes in the books, but am liking her even more in the show.

Pod seems like a more significant character in the show, when compared to what I took away from the books.

Also loved Tywin quite literally taking Tommen away from Cercei in the sept. I feel like he may be a better "father" for him than he was for this three jacked-up kids!

Jamie and sister in the sept just as creepy as in the book, if not more.

I too like the pacing this season way more than last... sorry for too much overlap with previous eight pages of posts.

Solid 8.

Didn't like the rape of Cersei. Is Jaime going to be a bad guy again now?

Return to type for Arya, so I liked that. At the end of the first episode she seemed to have gone to the dark side.

Liked the scenes in the north, but I'm not really sure why we need them. Are they slowing things down to give Stannis time to get to the Wall in time to save the day? I thought he was going to set sail immediately at the end of Season 3, but he's still down in Dragonstone, so I guess he needs time.

Nice opening and good to see LF again. Also some of the best dialogue since it came from the book. The dialogue in most other scenes was solid but not inspiring.

Liked Dany's scenes. Where'd she get those ballistas?

Good episode overall, but the book was better,

Deserves nothing more than a 3. The first scene with Sansa and Littlefinger was very good, even if it was a bit rushed. But it got worse after that scene. I won't even mention the disgusting scene between Jaime and Cersei (I can't believe they added rape!), but the rest was all very disappointing. The older Tommen just isn't working for me. I had expected a young kid who plays with kittens and has no clue what's going on. This Tommen however seems to know what's up (even though he's being manipulated by Tywin). Btw, I don't think Tywin actually believed the rumor that Dany has Dragons in the books? (or at least he said he didn't believe it). The last scene however was the most disappointing, not a big surprise I suppose.

Would have been a 10 if not for Sam’s go nowhere bullshit and Jamie’s implied forcing of Cersei. The Wilding raid was unnerving, in a good way. Littlefinger got some of his “what’s Littlefinger up to?” mystique back. Jon is way less Emo. And Emily Clark can speak High Valyrian for the whole show from now on and I don’t think anyone would mind. I loved the collars from the dead slaves in the caskets; very nice touch. Every once in a while D&D hit the mark with their add-ons.

Edited by Died a Hero

A 10. Best episode of the season.

What?! Nothing happened! I thought they'd make the Cersei/Jaime scene next to Joff's corpse more funny, but nothing important happened. I even thought the dialogue (except for Dany's last speech) was a bit weak compared to former chapters.

Im sick of people bitching about the rape scene. What is the big deal? The book is the book and the TV series are the TV series. Jaimie is being shown in dark light again, is that such a problem? I really dont get all the fuss.

Overreacting alert.

7/10. It would have been 9/10 had the director not turned Jaime into a rapist. Why is it such a big deal? Because the character has been irrevocably been damaged. Rapists are only accepted by those who don't think rape is such a bad thing.

True it really isn't that shocking, but it's disappointing because the quality of this episode was fantastic. I guess I'm just not so picky that I will fault an entire episode if I don't enjoy one scene. The funny thing is I've seen amazing reviews from non-book viewers. I heard one person say it was his favorite episode ever because he loved the dialogue so much. A little extreme, I know, but I can certainly understand his opinion more than someone who gives the episode a 5 because one scene caused them to blow a gasket. The fact is last night's episode was probably better than anything else we'll see on TV until the next GOT episode airs.

I gave it a solid 7, which means its as good as or better than anything else I will see on TV in a given week. They seem to have gotten over the season two blues and are continuing with the mostly strong episodes they have had since season three all though I would say that season 1 was still the best season to date. This is a high budget TV show, it deserves a 3 or a 4 just for its production value and ambition.

It seems this episode was the most boring episode so far this season, because there are not any big moments. But, there are several scenes I really like such as Tywin/Oberyn conversation, Wildling raiding, Sansa's escape and especially the Meereen thing. My rate would be somewhere beetween 7 and 8.

7/10. It would have been 9/10 had the director not turned Jaime into a rapist. Why is it such a big deal? Because the character has been irrevocably been damaged. Rapists are only accepted by those who don't think rape is such a bad thing.

Here's the problem I have with this whole discussion about rape that seems to have taken over the discussion of this scene. I've always seen this as one of the most profane and disgusting scenes in the entire series. So if they had to make it a little rapey to be sure that they really drived this home it doesn't bother me. I was a little distracted watching this last night, so I have to rewatch it and drop my book prejudice because I did not pick up on this, I sort of thought Cersei was saying no but meant yes but I might be wrong. Still I've always seen Jaimie as a scumbag, just not a total one, maybe hes 75% scumbag and 25% OK guy, who just happens to be good at being a scumbag, it fits him well, so hes able to get away with it. Still I think that since there is some contoversy over this they seem to have gotten this one right.

So there is no problem at all! GRRM said himself he doesnt know if book Jaimie raped Cersei or not because it was a POV. He left that free to interpret. So the show didnt damage anything, he just showed Jaimie forcing himself on Cersei. Why do you call that damage? This character never meant to be good, he pushed a kid out of the window, killed a king, has babies with his sister.

What we saw was character developement in the show, no matter how cruel and disgusting the scene was. Book is the book and show is the show.

That is nonsense to give a lower rating to an episode because you didnt like the way they are developing the character. You should rate the way they showed it. I think that scene was very real and authentic, no matter how much innapropriate and wrong so Im giving it a high rating.

Edited by Volverin

Volverin,

George's POV remark is solely about the immediacy of understanding what's going on in Jaime's head whereas you can only try to decipher it by what you see on the screen. There's at least two paragraphs where he focuses on Cersei's desire and hunger for Jaime.