[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

On this point I break the 'No Spoilers Rule'.

I explain to them that:

• She is still half a planet away

Still has no ships to get her army there (needs a LOT of ships)

Has 50,000+ mouths to feed

Has dragons that are not yet fully grown, are untrained 'teenagers', and can't be ridden yet

Has yet to find two other dragon-riders.

All that isn't really a spoiler and it prepares them to accept the coming Meeren Years.

Without exception, that explanation has stopped any question about "When is she going to Westeros?". They start thinking of the logistics and many of them actually start paying attention to other storylines instead of solely on the 'Hottie with the dragons"

I hope when she takes Meereen, they really explain the lack of ships and the "Demon Road" to the audience. In the books staying was the only decision she could have made really.

My mom has overheard some of my convos with my dad about Jon Snow's parentage and so apparently she's really confused and believes that Elia is Jon's aunt and that Jon is somehow related to Prince Oberyn???

My unsullied hubby didn't make any comments other than loving the episode. I think he's still taking it in. I had to explain the sword part to him.

My Mum's insights on the episode:

Dany's realising that she's just a mere mortal, with Drogon snapping at her (or is she as mere mortal). And Olenna will be jealous of Sansa's jewelry, and maybe steal it? Clearly this is very important. But then again depending on where they take the poison hairnet maybe it will be.

A friend made a very accurate guess, if he would have said it to me face to face IRL and not on the skype-chat I don't think I'd be able to hold my tongue, the prediction was that good. What he said was basically this:

"The Hound and Arya will go to the Eyrie, but the Arryn's won't welcome them because they want to remain neutral in the war. Arya will escape from the Eyrie and travel to the east to train to become an assassin."

If I didn't know him any better I'd say he'd spoiled himself on the web or so but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

On this point I break the 'No Spoilers Rule'.

I explain to them that:

• She is still half a planet away

Still has no ships to get her army there (needs a LOT of ships)

Has 50,000+ mouths to feed

Has dragons that are not yet fully grown, are untrained 'teenagers', and can't be ridden yet

Has yet to find two other dragon-riders.

All that isn't really a spoiler and it prepares them to accept the coming Meeren Years.

Without exception, that explanation has stopped any question about "When is she going to Westeros?". They start thinking of the logistics and many of them actually start paying attention to other storylines instead of solely on the 'Hottie with the dragons"

Yeah, I always point out the ships thing. How exactly is Dany getting to Westeros with an army and no ships? They never have a response. They just want her there.

My unsullied husband thinks there is "something up with the whole necklace thing". Olenna's search for a necklace for Margaery and then Sansa getting a necklace from Dontos. Seemed like too much of a coincidence for him. He's not usually that observant.

My brother concurred with me in his liking for the Hound and dislike for Daenerys. He found it hard to remember a lot of references to the past like who Rhaegar was and what Qorin HAlfhand and Mance Rayder did with Jon. It really makes me think that the show will approach the ending with very broad strokes and a liberal interpretation, because detail packs rather than specific plot points are key to making the show emotionally resonant for a wide audience. Dany's ADWD arc could be really well wrapped up in this format, for example.

my friend said that until the thenns showed up, he didnt know who to root for, jon or ygritte. people tend to be pissed at jon for leaving her.

i made him realize that ygritte is on the wrong side (kind of).

also, people didnt realize who's sword that was at the beginning or who janos slynt was.

My unsullied friend believes that something will happen to Shae and Tyrion will be put in prison for not kneeling in front of Joffrey (seen Joffrey yelling 'kneel' in episode 2 promo). Also, worried that Dany wont be able to control her dragons.

An unsullied friend just asked me about the Sword from the Intro. I explained him it was Ice. He then checked the wiki (for the sword) and told me that showJoffrey already has Widow's Wail before, which is odd because WW is recently made.

Contradiction? (I can't really remember this). We're both confused.

An unsullied friend just asked me about the Sword from the Intro. I explained him it was Ice. He then checked the wiki (for the sword) and told me that showJoffrey already has Widow's Wail before, which is odd because WW is recently made.

Contradiction? (I can't really remember this). We're both confused.

He had Hearteater in "Blackwater," not Widow's Wail.

A lot of people I watched with think Shae is going to be killed, though they think it'll be by Cersei/Tywin. Not too far off I suppose =P

I'm guessing that's probably what they will do in the show. Cersei's spy saw Shae leaving Tyrion's apartment. I think they will make Shae a martyr and Tyrion will only kill Tywin.

I have to admit that until I read the books (and reread them, at that) ... I had a hard time placing who all the NIght's Watch people were. So I'm not surprised that people would not remember.

Also ... I can't recall, but did we even get the scene where Tyrion sends Janos to the wall in the "previously on?" Because without that, unsullied viewers really had little to go on when it came to Slynt.

Also ... I can't recall, but did we even get the scene where Tyrion sends Janos to the wall in the "previously on?" Because without that, unsullied viewers really had little to go on when it came to Slynt.

You're right, we did not. All we get it "I was the Commander of the City Watch of King's Landing!" by him, and I don't think that's enough! I don't blame the Unsullied: I was an Unsullied once, and I know all the Night's Watch men look pretty much the same :laugh: and it's difficult to keep track of them.

Archived