[NO SPOILERS] Positive Nitpicking: What did you love about the episode?

shiola

As many others have said, I too was happily surprised at Kit's acting this episode. He really held my attention and was interesting to me for the first time in a long time. The whole trial scene was great. Janos Slynt being an ass. Maester Aemon got a few one-liners that made me chuckle.

I too liked Kit's scenes in this episode , but can we stop saying that his acting skills have gotten better or anything like that? Do all the characters have to act and talk like a badass to be considered interesting and "good acting"?

One of the great things about a series is that you can do character growth. Jon was quiet, inmature and brooding at first. He knew nothing. It had nothing to do with Kit's acting skills (or with the Iceland weather!). Now he's back from his mission and he's matured, he's more talkative, he "knows" things. He's not being ordered anymore. Yes, he's more badass and probably more entertaining. But again, it has nothing to do with Kit's acting.

I too liked Kit's scenes in this episode , but can we stop saying that his acting skills have gotten better or anything like that? Do all the characters have to act and talk like a badass to be considered interesting and "good acting"?

One of the great things about a series is that you can do character growth. Jon was quiet, inmature and brooding at first. He knew nothing. It had nothing to do with Kit's acting skills (or with the Iceland weather!). Now he's back from his mission and he's matured, he's more talkative, he "knows" things. He's not being ordered anymore. Yes, he's more badass and probably more entertaining. But again, it has nothing to do with Kit's acting.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PaBJ4_CuFDo/UW4gbdrPMOI/AAAAAAAAABU/OxDdVhQOnmE/s1600/251924_343266512418079_121333123_n.jpg

It's more about his face expression, not about his badass lines.

Mod:

Remember, NO SPOILERS means no spoilers - no oblique references, no vague mentions, no "lol you'll see," etc, etc. If you can't stick to that, stay out of NO SPOILER threads.

It's not that he talked like a badass, for me. He's had moments of badassery before. I just never liked his acting. He was never interesting and he didn't make me believe he is Jon Snow. Charles, Nikolaj, Michelle, Conleth-- all of them have made their characters come alive and make me forget I am watching a show. Kit, so far, had been one of a handful of actors that didn't become their character. But now he seems believable. I'm excited to see if he keeps it up.

Re the Gray Worm/Missandei ship -- I had a completely different reaction to that scene --

My first thought was that they were merging Gray Worm with Missandei's brother, Stalwart Shield, who (in the books anyway) gets knocked off by the Sons of the Harpies in Mereen -- that's why Torko Nudo tells New Daario that he's "not smart" when New Daario suggests there's something romantic going on between them.

I agree with what has been mentioned so far! SO many good little bits in this episode...

Did anyone else like the parallel between Sansa and Oberyn:-

Oberyn: And my sister. You know what they did to her?

Sansa: Do you know what they did to my brother?

Both gave me goosebumps

Did anyone else pick up on the way in which Arya hamstrings Polliver? It was very waterdancer, Syrio Forell inspired. She seemed to come up behind him, fake slightly to the left, and then bringing the sword across to end almost in a curtsey that she held for a second. I loved the subtle gracefulness in which she did that maneuver.

It's not that he talked like a badass, for me. He's had moments of badassery before. I just never liked his acting. He was never interesting and he didn't make me believe he is Jon Snow. Charles, Nikolaj, Michelle, Conleth-- all of them have made their characters come alive and make me forget I am watching a show. Kit, so far, had been one of a handful of actors that didn't become their character. But now he seems believable. I'm excited to see if he keeps it up.

The real question is not whether he keeps it up. The question is will they keep up the writing that he finally got. They never cared about or wrote the character particularly well before. Only twice have they done a good job and one of those times was a GRRM written episode. The rest of the time, he barely has lines much less anything substantive, so you can't compare him with actors who have been getting good writing since he hasn't been. Not at all.

The real question is not whether he keeps it up. The question is will they keep up the writing that he finally got. They never cared about or wrote the character particularly well before. Only twice have they done a good job and one of those times was a GRRM written episode. The rest of the time, he barely has lines much less anything substantive, so you can't compare him with actors who have been getting good writing since he hasn't been. Not at all.

I'm gonna have to leave this at "agreeing to disagree", because I don't want to keep this conversation going in this thread. It's not the place for it.

Did anyone else pick up on the way in which Arya hamstrings Polliver? It was very waterdancer, Syrio Forell inspired. She seemed to come up behind him, fake slightly to the left, and then bringing the sword across to end almost in a curtsey that she held for a second. I loved the subtle gracefulness in which she did that maneuver.

I noticed that she did that, but I didn't catch that it was similar to a waterdancer style! Good catch! I also liked that The Hound stabbed the guy in the dick who Polliver mentioned liked his girls "a bit broken in" or whatever.

I liked Oberyn's talk with Tyrion, one of the better moments of the series.

I actually really like Dontos. Not sure why. Something about him is very sympathetic.

More building of the Mountain with (WHICH HAS BEEN NEEDED FOR 3 SEASONS NOW, sorry about that) not only Oberyn, but the discussion about him in the inn at the end of the episode. One of the Mountain's more cruel moments.

I really loved the intro. The scene started with a sweet, lonely rendition of the Stark/Winterfell theme and ended with Rains of Castamere. Tywin fully conquering the Starks.

Then I loved the ending with Arya getting Needle back, subtly telling the viewers they can't count the Starks down and out yet.

I love John's scene in front of Thorne and Slynt, especially the exchange of

Jon: have you ever been beyond the wall?

Slynt: I was Commander of the City Watch etc

Jon: And now you're here, you must not have been very good at it.

Paraphrasing from memory there but I think that line shows the change in Jon, after all he's been through he is no longer working so hard to prove himself to everyone especially people he once would have thought of as above him. He has a purpose now to defend the Wall from the Free Folk, he is less of a lost young man still looking for his place unsure if he has found it. The fact that all that was conveyed in that one scene, (and for me to a certain point, conveyed in that one line) just gave me shivers.

Also

Tyrion and Oberyn referring to themselves as "second sons" that exact phrase twice in one scene, foreshadowing for Tyrion, I just loved it!

Archived