[Book spoilers] Thenn Cannibalism

averde

So were introduced to the Thenn wildling clan this episode, and their cannibals. They are the exact opposite of this in the book, being the most civilized of all the wildlings with laws and metalworking and what not. Did this bother anyone else a ton? Also won't this have pretty big ramifications for the story's related to the Thenn later on?

I think they're not cannibals. They were trying to mock them because they got Jon with them before.

Everything the Thenn guy said was a reference to them being cannibals though. Talking about more food south of the wall and the food being more well fed, the crows getting all fat and "marbled" in castle black. I don't know I really hope your right but it seemed like they were just a caricature of some kind of Pacific Islander tribal cannibals.

Nah, I like it. The Thenns were more technologically advanced than other wildlings, but were particularly savage and fanatic in the books. I think in the show we needed someone to come in and show us that alot of the wildlings are fucking savages, and not cheery "free folk" who say "Har". Love Tormund's reaction to them as well.

Nah, I like it. The Thenns were more technologically advanced than other wildlings, but were particularly savage and fanatic in the books. I think in the show we needed someone to come in and show us that alot of the wildlings are fucking savages, and not cheery "free folk" who say "Har". Love Tormund's reaction to them as well.

This. Plus they may exclude Skagos in the show so two-birds-one-stone. I dunno. I kinda like it too. Gives them an edginess. Though, i get the feeling that Sigorn wont be the one marrying Alys Karstark later on. Methinks the show may have Tormund be the one.

Styr is a huge villain in the books as well. You want the audience to hate these guys because they already like Tormund and Ygritte a lot. They have to root against someone during the attack.

I'm also of the opinion that they won't bother with Alys Karstark and the new Magnar on account of that plot probably not really amounting to much in the books.

AND WHY IS NO ONE MENTIONING THE OWL? THE OWL WAS AWESOME.

They are ancillary characters, it really doesn't matter. Any Wildling can

marry Alys Karstark or even do something else that would unite the Wildlings and the North. I think they wanted to add some memorable and visually distinct bad guys among the Wildlings. All the big WIldling characters right now are people we like, so these guys can be the guys we root for the Night's Watch to go after during the battle, which is sort of proven as we see Jon fighting the Magnar in that one production video. He is going to be the obligatory big bad guy the hero has to face one on one.

This. Plus they may exclude Skagos in the show so two-birds-one-stone. I dunno. I kinda like it too. Gives them an edginess. Though, i get the feeling that Sigorn wont be the one marrying Alys Karstark later on. Methinks the show may have Tormund be the one.

OooH, I dint even think of Skagos, good catch. Yeah somebody else will have to marry Alys, I thought before that they might even try to merge Alys and fArya somehow. Depends how the show timeline runs, I guess.

There was an owl?

Am I the only one that noticed this? Tormund asks Styr how the Thenns were able to find them and Styr nods back at his warg Thenn who's got an owl perched on his shoulder that then flies off the screen. I think the fact that a tribe of cannibalistic warriors who scare the shit out of everybody hang with a guy who wargs into a little owl is both hilarious and awesome.

I NEED MORE OWL.

What I want most in the world is in E9, for the Wildling attack from the South on Castle Black to be shown in slow motion with all of the Thenns screaming and running headlong into battle being led by that little barn owl screeching right at the screen.

Make it happen D&D.

I don't think the episode's writers ever heard of subtlety. It was obvious from the moment the Thenn leader started talking that they were cannibals. We didn't need a 5 minute rant about it.

It seems that every wilding raiding party has a warg with them. The way Jon specifically mentions to the Watch's council that he killed his group's warg seems to hint at this as well. I guess the Thenns have Owlman.

What I want most in the world is in E9, for the Wildling attack from the South on Castle Black to be shown in slow motion with all of the Thenns screaming and running headlong into battle being led by that little barn owl screeching right at the screen.

Make it happen D&D.

omg looooooooooooooooool

Yes please. Battle and owl meet at last. I want Eagle!Orell and Owl and Ghost for beast-on-beast combat.

The cannibalism does seem to scotch any possibility of a [Thenn]/Alys marriage in the show, since for all his pragmatism, I don't think Jon would ever marry off Alys to a cannibal. Doesn't mean they couldn't marry her off to another wildling, even if the show's pretty short on named male wildling non-Thenns to date. I could definitely get behind Tormund/Alys if it came to that.

Really, though, Alys seems like someone who could lift right out of the show, as much as I love her. Even if the marriage proves somewhat important beyond ADWD, it seems like the sort of thing the writers could get around if they had to.

Archived