[Book spoilers] Thenn Cannibalism

averde

If they aren't going to include Val (which appears pretty likely at this point), then I don't see why they'd bother with Alys.

Heh. I don't know what it says about me that I'd be way more disappointed about Alys' exclusion from the TV show than Val's.

I don't think it would be much of a stretch to believe that there are Thenns that aren't cannibals.

Loved the "change". I remember there was some talk about the Thenn's disappointing introduction in the early reviews, but honestly? One of my favourite moments in the episode.

They are the exact opposite of this in the book, being the most civilized of all the wildlings with laws and metalworking and what not.

Besides portraying the Thenns as more or less brutal with their scary and tribalistic outlook, and way of introducing themselves, I think it really showed off a difference.

If you look at their clothing and armor; they had these metal/leather plates around, a bit of fur mixed in with the usual leather setting. Somehow it gave, at least to me, this feel of having more focus on their outlook and armor. One of the men was also holding a very fine Tolkien dwarwish axe with engravings and whatnot, which gave a very clear image of them knowing their way around crafting and smithing.

Somehow couldn't stop thinking about these ruff dudes gnawing Sam's nice.. and fat.. juicy.. arm. Especially after that fine meat speech.

Omg owl? I totes thought that was Eagle!Orell. I need to rewatch soon.

Wow, that's what I thought too.

The cannibal thing bothered me when I first heard about it, but I've come around on it. I can now understand the reasoning behind it.

And I've always been 99% sure that Alys will be cut from the show. It makes me incredibly sad, but I can also understand the reasoning behind that.

The only changed I liked was the owl.

So now all Thenns are cannibals undergoing chemo, it should be difficult living in the northernmost named place in Westeros with no hair.

I'm also no fan of show Tormund, he is no fun.

ye, he did not boasted about his mighty member not a single time.

The Magnar of Thenn was badass!!

They should have made them Skagos. Really, this is just to establish the Wildlings aren't a bunch of nice reasonable people but include some genuine *drumroll* BARBARIANS.

They are labelling them as the baddies while Jon and Stannis will be the heroes. Instead of having us sympathise with the Wildlings and how just their cause is they will just be branded like the Mereen slavers.

They are labelling them as the baddies while Jon and Stannis will be the heroes. Instead of having us sympathise with the Wildlings and how just their cause is they will just be branded like the Mereen slavers.

Even before then, the Wildlings are going to get slaughtered at the Wall. It's not going to be the Night's Watch coming off looking heroic killing a bunch of refugees fleeing the Ice Zombie Apocalypse but will be less of a problem if half the Wildlings are psychopath face-eaters.

I would argue that Mance, Tormund and Ygritte have already made the wildlings quite sympathetic so far. We have only heard overtures about how they kill and steal. So far its just been "we are the real northerners, kneelers, its our land too!" Im glad to see the diversity that we know is there, and that some of them are savages.

I would argue that Mance, Tormund and Ygritte have already made the wildlings quite sympathetic so far. We have only heard overtures about how they kill and steal. So far its just been "we are the real northerners, kneelers, its our land too!" Im glad to see the diversity that we know is there, and that some of them are savages.

Agreed. There's still plenty of time to further the dynamic of the wildlings throughout the season, especially if Jon does go over to "negotiate" with Mance.

The cannibalism did bother me. But I really liked the visual of the Thenns, shows nicely that the blanket title of 'wildlings' doesn't clearly show how diverse all the tribes actually are, and emphasises to people who haven't read the books how unique that Mance actually managed to get all these people to fight together.

However it does make me wonder how they will handle the Alys storyline, if at all. I mean it didn't really add much in the books so I could see it just being cut all together, unless George knows that it is vital for Winds.

Archived