[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

OK.....

New Daario.

I like him and I am not sure how I feel about that.

I felt from the books that Daario was a distastefully flamboyant person. I felt that the blue beard etc might have come off as being too comedic and OTT for the screen and the smarmy-ness of Skrein was a suitable replacement.

The thing with New Daario is, though, that I feel like I can engage with the character. I am not put off by him... and I think it might work. One of the big issues for me with Dany's Meeren Years was Daario. I think with a likable Daario, Dany's interest in him makes some of her future choices more.... reasonable.

The dialogue has got to improve. They need to go back to the source material and study Martin's subtlety. They're detracting from what could be some incredible scenes.

The exposition was laid on thick in this episode. Some of it was fine, but some of it was pretty darn clunky.

I felt the Arya's kill scene was too calculating. I know its a different character than in the book but I just feel like she was too cold. In the book while she starts out cool and calm the bloodlust comes over her and she goes berserk which I felt was really appropriate for a young person going through what she has. She shouldn't have been as calm yet about the killing. That is part of the change taking place in Arya over time. Still a fun scene though.

The episode's directed by both Weiss and Benioff. DGA rules prevent both of them being credited, so they agreed to swap credit back and forth.

I was trying hard to take Matt Zoller Seitz's challenge to heart, to spend some time discussing the visual composition of a scene, but other than the cold open there wasn't anything really worth remarking on.

It is an exposition-heavy episode, but every season opener has been.

The dialogue has got to improve. They need to go back to the source material and study Martin's subtlety. They're detracting from what could be some incredible scenes.

With Tyrion especially, the writers seem to think they can be funnier with his lines than GRRM and that just isn't the case

I felt the Arya's kill scene was too calculating. I know its a different character than in the book but I just feel like she was too cold. In the book while she starts out cool and calm the bloodlust comes over her and she goes berserk which I felt was really appropriate for a young person going through what she has. She shouldn't have been as calm yet about the killing. That is part of the change taking place in Arya over time. Still a fun scene though.

But didn't she have her berserk moment in 'Mhysa' on the Frey soldiers? I don't think their going to play that up twice. Although I was waiting for to go ham on the guy "is there gold in the village? Silver? Gems? Where's Lord Beric?" But of course that particular guy was dead so it was nice nod to Lommy thou... "the fucks a Lommy"

With Tyrion especially, the writers seem to think they can be funnier with his lines than GRRM and that just isn't the case

A lot of Tyrion's funny lines are actually his thoughts. Personally I'm OK with show Tyrion.

That being said, Cersei's spy was just terrible.

Brienne's Renly scene would have been better with Loras (Is he a kingsguard in the show?)

Joffrey's statue was just too cartoonish for my taste.

Jaime became Barristan's squire according to the white book, :dunno:, I don't remember much interaction between them in the show.

My biggest nitpick is that show Tormund is no fun. In the books he is the best wilding, in the show he's just meh.

OK.....

New Daario.

One of the big issues for me with Dany's Meeren Years was Daario. I think with a likable Daario, Dany's interest in him makes some of her future choices more.... reasonable.

I preferred that it was something heinous and baffling. It makes her more ... flawed ? believable ?

Jesus Christ. Cannibals. It seems that if a show has dead people walking, then it must also have cannibals.

Yeah, not sure how I feel about that. I thought the Thenns were a more of an organised society than the rest of the Wildlings and that is what lead to a certain other marriage that takes place later.

I preferred that it was something heinous and baffling. It makes her more ... flawed ? believable ?

Yeah, I am interested to see how it will develop. It may be that a likeable character will work better than the way it plays in the books. Watchers are already baying for Dany to get her ass to Westeros. Her delay needs to be well handled.

Daario is an enormous [insert word referring to one's bottom] in the books and Danny being attracted to him is her being attracted to a bad boy.

New Daario is like being attracted to Aragorn.

I.e. perfectly reasonable.

It loses something if it's an actual romance versus Danny just wanting to bang the hot guy.

I thought it was an overall good episode, but as I wrote on the episode thread I watched it at 2 am and I was tired, so it's difficult to nitpick! A few things come to mind though:

-Tyrion is basically Mr perfect. Since when did he stop having sex with other women after marrying Sansa? I think that if they continue showing him as THE MOST HONOURABLE MAN IN WESTEROS, it's just going to be too jarring to turn him into the man he needs to become by the end of asos. I think they'll get there because PD said in an interview everything will go down like in the books, but I just can't see how, despite the souring of his relationship with Shae and her jealousy.

- Jon's reaction to Robb dying. Seriously. "I was always so jealous of him"? What?!

- Brienne and Jaime being in KL already. Yes, we got a nice scene with Olenna/Brienne and the exchange between Jaime/Brienne was nice as well, but it makes no fucking sense. Basically they can't do anything for Sansa because... Well, because they shouldn't be there, so they just don't. Poor, planning ugh.

-Tyrion is basically Mr perfect. Since when did he stop having sex with other women after marrying Sansa? I think that if they continue showing him as THE MOST HONOURABLE MAN IN WESTEROS, it's just going to be too jarring to turn him into the man he needs to become by the end of asos. I think they'll get there because PD said in an interview everything will go down like in the books, but I just can't see how, despite the souring of his relationship with Shae and her jealousy.

I don't think Tyrion is trying to be faithful to Sansa, so much as he's not in the mood for sex with all the murder and threats of violence going around him. He used to think being a Lannister was cool, now it's like living in Caligula's court or as one of Saddam Hussein's nephews.

I do think Tyrion being a good and honorable man who goes a little crazy at the end is perfectly in-character, though.

Archived