[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

teemo

Things I picked up on-

Danys dragons never snap at her. I get that they want to hint that her dragons are dangerous and the scene from the pit but it is a profound change. Drogon only ever breaths fire at Dany when hes enraged and injured from crossbow bolts and has been away from her for a long time.

Daario comes across as too much of a Mr Nice Guy. Yes, the scene with the flowers does get hinted at. But not in that context, hes meant to be this dangerous, amoral and rakish rogue. Not bashfully trying to be cute with Dany. Feels like a lot of white washing coming with this character.

Considering that this is the series where Jorah gets exiled, seeing him just as a glorified extra. Yes, hes the first secondary character you see in Danys arc but that says little. A little quibble about that. They seem more interested in pushing forward into the ADWD material and stressing the other characters. IMO him being exiled is a big deal for Dany in ASOS. If hes just a long running extra then losing him isn't going to mean anything on screen.

I find it quite jarring how the Dornish are just introduced. No question.

The Thenns being like something out of Lord of the Rings.felt kind of cartoonish. I was reminded of the punk guy from Highlander. Going for blatant villains felt a little cheap although they clearly want a central villain for Jon to fight.

Oberyn sexposition. I get that hes hedonistic and free loving. But, I could not imagine him involving prostitutes and picking out bi sexual lovers for himself and his paramour.

Don't see what the point is with the Tyrell and Brienne interactions. Loras should have been the only important one to have meet.

Good things

Jon and his trial.

Jamie and Tywin

Tywin destroying ice

Jamie and Joffery with the White Book

Arya and the Hound

The dead girl pointing at Meereen. That was really ghastly and will make her killing the evil slavers understandable.

This is not a nitpick, it's a real problem with the show for me. Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington continue to be deliver cringe worthy one-note performances. They are so bad, they take me out of the show every time they come on screen.

This is not a nitpick, it's a real problem with the show for me. Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington continue to be deliver cringe worthy one-note performances. They are so bad, they take me out of the show every time they come on screen.

I generally despise Harrington but I thought he stood out in this episode, which says a lot.

Clarke has about as much emotion in her delivery than a bag of cement singing a b flat.

Don't see what the point is with the Tyrell and Brienne interactions. Loras should have been the only important one to have meet.

That's a good one. It would have been a much more powerful scene having a Brienne/Loras confrontation, if you wish with Marg and Olenna present.

The problem with having such a huge number of regulars is that sometimes they force them into an episode no matter what. Sometimes, like this one, at the expense of secondary characters.

That's a good one. It would have been a much more powerful scene having a Brienne/Loras confrontation, if you wish with Marg and Olenna present.

The problem with having such a huge number of regulars is that sometimes they force them into an episode no matter what. Sometimes, like this one, at the expense of secondary characters.

I'm wondering: are actors billed as "regulars" contractually obligated to appear in every episode?

Cause that would explain why some scenes (like Margaery/Brienne) feel awfully shoe-horned in.

Also: why show the Dreadfort in the credits already?

STORM OF SWORDS is just chock-o-block with set pieces.

As far as I can tell , from the books, we only have two left, the PW and E9's battle for the Wall which will contain both the assault on Castle Black and the big battle , from the north, for the Wall.

Now apparently the First Battle for Meereen will be elaborated on the show and not told in flash-back as in the book.

(In fact it looks as if D&D have devised a ploy to have a revolt-from-within, tho I guess the sewer sneak attack could still be part of it.)

So the Arya and The Hound's tavern fight was moved from the back to the front.

It worked fine, but was hoping there would be more elaboration as there was in the book.

Note: With the release of that WoW Arya chapter George sure trumped D&D on the Lommey revenge. That was a sweet story, which is gone forever now, I guess.

I wonder if GRRM released that chapter after seeing how D&D wrote the tavern fight for the show?

I am surprised he didn't show that chapter to them when season 4 was bing planned.

Still Arya's killing of Polliver went about the way I predicted it would, thought D and D might give it a little more elaboration so Polliver would REALLY recognize Arya.

If season 4 is supposed to be more action packed than ever before, there sure is going to have to be some invention.

Not every episode, but they are required by guild rules to appear in a minimum number of episodes. Yes, it's entirely possible the Margaery and Olenna scenes in this first episode were there to help make sure they met those obligations.

George did show them the chapter. They based the scene on it.

I just didn't like the KL stuff very much other than the continuing douchiness of Joffrey Baratheon. Exposition, gratuitous nudity (although it's in keeping with Oberyn's character it was unnecessary- his introduction in the book worked very well without tits). Then again, it's a premiere. "Valar Dohaeris" was one of the lesser episodes of Season 3 as well.

Is it too early to expect the Arya/Nymeria dream? I thought it was supposed to run parallel with Catelyn being dragged out of the river. Unless she's been in there for the weeks that have passed since the RW - I can't remember the order of events in the book particularly well. I just hope we see it, at some point.

Agree with many points in this thread. Jaime & Brienne being in KL too early, the dragon snapping at Dany, Daario, Brienne & Margaery instead of Loras, Cersei & Jaime scenes, and of course the stupid introduction to Oberyn. I thought it was just too much. But they had to get their nudity in, of course. :rolleyes:

ETA: I presume the necklace that Ser Dontos (who I was glad to see back!) gave Sansa will serve the purpose of the hairnet at the PW?

I thought Kit was surprisingly good this episode. I really bought his conversation with Sam about Robb's death, and the anger and frustration he displayed at his "trial" felt natural enough too.

Emilia was predictably cringey though, yeah.

Not sure if it qualifies as nitpick, but the opening credits, the map moves "west" and reach Essos. Does that mean the sunset sea is that small? That info could be considered as "spoiler" by some :P (BTW it enforced my believed that Euron DID circumference the world on his travel)

George did show them the chapter. They based the scene on it.

That is interesting.

Well I guess GRRM should have shown em that chapter before season 2, I think George says he had that written a long time ago.

Alas.

“Think so?” asked Arya, sweetly…

One of the most sweetly clever lines George has ever written.

Gone forever now , for the show.

Not sure if it qualifies as nitpick, but the opening credits, the map moves "west" and reach Essos.

Watch it again. It doesn't move west. It moves to the south, then to the east following the south coast of Essos

Also: why show the Dreadfort in the credits already?

Already?

Why wasn't it shown last season?

I really wish we saw a scene with Brienne finding out about RW and being devastated about lady Catelyn.

Yeah I agree.

I really hated the Margaery/Brienne scene. Aside from the Shae scene that was probably the only thing I dis-liked.

edit: and New Daario.

Archived