[BOOK SPOILERS] a blue rose cures things?

aameen

I think the writers were setting up the story for when the Pale Mare hits Meereen.

I do think the writers are going to completely introduce R+L = J as a theory this year (not confirm or deny, just introduce). But The events in Meereen are Dany's arch for this season, so it makes sense to use the flowers more directly with that part of her story. Daario even makes a point of telling Dany that she needs to know the land in order to rule her people. Now Dany knows that when a fever hits her people, she needs to find blue roses.

I must admit that it made me a little bit angry that they didn't call it winter rose, but different cultures different names, you know. I really like the theory that Lyanna had those roses with her in the Tower of Joy because she had a fever.

I knew that there was a flower named Harpy's Gold around that area, it's even mentioned in the books (geek alarm!), and I really wanted him to say one of them was Harpy's Gold and he did :p

Yes, Dany and Jon are long lost twins, separated at birth. :cheers:

That would explain Alfie Allen's Star Wars quote, wouldn't it??

On a separate note, they are definitely setting up the Rhaegar & Lyanna storyline. I suspect we shall see Bran tap into the weirnet more than once this season. Anyone think we will see the Ned and the "let them grow up close as brothers" line this season??

That would explain Alfie Allen's Star Wars quote, wouldn't it??

On a separate note, they are definitely setting up the Rhaegar & Lyanna storyline. I suspect we shall see Bran tap into the weirnet more than once this season. Anyone think we will see the Ned and the "let them grow up close as brothers" line this season??

Well, Bloodraven was already cast, so it's definitely possible (not sure what Bran will do next season then, though).

As to the Star Wars thing, I think Alfie was inaccurately thinking of Rhaegar as a Vader (though perhaps he meant because Jon grew up assuming Rhaegar to be the enemy). The twins thing seems unlikely given that Viserys witnessed Dany's birth.

Jon/Dany endgame CONFIRMED...Kidding, kidding. It did make me wonder, though.

The fact that the "dusk rose" was blue could just be propmaster shenanigans. "Dusk" sounds like more of a purplish colour, really.

The idea that the rose cured fever did remind of Lyanna's death, since she supposedly was suffering of fever when she died.

..."Dusk rose" first made me think of the "dusky woman," now that I think of it.

The blue rose looked so fake... but I still loved it. It was a nice wink to the book readers, along with the references to the Sword of the Morning and Duncan the Tall.

Crackpot as fuck, but, perhaps the three flowers was also a nod to the "three mounts".

Lady's lace = One to bed

Harpy's Gold = One to dread

Dusk Rose = One to love

I know it seems like one hell of a stretch but there is something in that scene, I know it.

I find this more plausible than the three-headed dragon extrapolation.

Well, Bloodraven was already cast, so it's definitely possible (not sure what Bran will do next season then, though).

As to the Star Wars thing, I think Alfie was inaccurately thinking of Rhaegar as a Vader (though perhaps he meant because Jon grew up assuming Rhaegar to be the enemy). The twins thing seems unlikely given that Viserys witnessed Dany's birth.

Agreed--I always thought it was more a figurative nod to the theme, rather than a direct one. Forgot to "wink"! I've always assumed he was inferring the whole good vs evil/hidden father trope.

As for the hints, it is definitely time to have them included.

While the Lyana symbolism is self evident and the links to other parts of the story are interesting, the use of red, white and blue together really jumped out at me, because to me there has always been something profoundly American - for better or for worse - about Dany's policy. I wonder if this was also intentional on the part of the writers. Thoughts?

Crackpot as fuck, but, perhaps the three flowers was also a nod to the "three mounts".

Lady's lace = One to bed

Dusk Rose = One to love

I know it seems like one hell of a stretch but there is something in that scene, I know it.

This isn't that crackpot, in the discussion thread for the first episode someone there put it like this:

Lady's lace = Drogon

Harpy's Gold = Hizface (Harpy and all)

Dusk Rose = Jon

My first thought when I saw the blue rose was 'yes'! Follow by a fistpump.

When Oberyn brought up Rhaegar and the 'other woman' starting a war, I immediately wondered if he would say something to Sansa about her aunt. Then the rose appeared, and I began to salivate at the thought of Selmy seeing it, and letting her know a little bit of the blue rose connection to her brother. Either way, what a fantastic moment that was.

Well on top of that Oberyn did mention Lyanna vaguely in his aside with Tyrion. Not specifically at all, but enough that any further elaboration could bring up the subject easily. Might be that now that they know most of the ending for sure, they may be starting to reference smaller details like that to prepare the show to bring them up effectively in these next three or so seasons the show has left.

Not enough of an indication to suggest that this is the case, but not too far from possible.

With all the hint dropping that went on.. It basically showed us that D&D had a convo with themselves and said: If we don't start dropping hints immediately, the fans will accuse us of pulling a Lost..

AND BOOM! BLUE FLOWERS-references - implicite to Lyanna, KINGSGUARD THAT WERE AT THE TOJ-references, EXPLICIT references to Lyanna!

It's only a vague mention to non-readers, but when Oberyn says: "Another woman, which started a war" then that is explicit enough for me. The events of episode 1 pretty much dictate it to be Lyanna. No other woman could've led that Baratheon to go to war against the Targaryen's he hated so much, based on those scenes in the crypts.

Unless you want explicit to mean: "He left her for Lyanna Stark, sister to Ned Stark and betrothed to Bob Baratheon.."

Lady's lace = One to bed

Dusk Rose = One to love

I think this is a better one then the three heads things, but really:

- Lady's Lace - a contraceptive: Khal Drogo?

- Harpy's Gold - a poison: Hizfaze zo Pregnant

- Dusk Rose - a Stark flower: Jon Snow

I really don't see Lady's Lace being tied to Drogo in any way possible. Especially if Lady's Lace is a contraceptive.. Wait.. Perhaps it is, because Drogo pretty much laid bare Dany..

I really don't see Lady's Lace being tied to Drogo in any way possible. Especially if Lady's Lace is a contraceptive.. Wait.. Perhaps it is, because Drogo pretty much laid bare Dany..

:ack:

Well, considering the fate of Drogo's child, tying their relationship to a contraceptive makes some sense.

After all, Drogo was indirectly responsible for Dany's abortion.

I've gotta watch it again. It was actually said to be a contraceptive?

No, they don't say what its use is.

I think Drogo was one to love. Jon might be one to dread in the prophecy, if he comes back from the dead. Daario could be one to bed.

Drogon /Hizface seem most likely to be the ones to dread. Drogon is sometimes compared with Ballarion "The Black Dread". And she definable dreaded marrying Hizface.

She did come to love Drogo, but they weren't married for love. It was business.

Archived