[BOOK SPOILERS] a blue rose cures things?

aameen

Although I dont really like the theory about the three dragon riders, the scene with the blue rose definitely reminded me of it!

Why did Daario give her exactly THREE flowers?

Two possibilites:

1) Three flowers for three dragon riders

2) Three flowers for the three "prophecies" (one to love, one to bed, one to dread)

However, the mentioning of the three-headed dragon appears overall in the books, so it definitely has some kind of important meaning for the plot. Soooo in my opinion, the three flowers could symbolize Jon, Dany, and Tyrion as dragon riders!

1) Jon: The blue rose of course- as you already pointed out, that connection is obvious

2) Dany: The red rose- red stands for fire- Dany as the Azor Ahai reborn

3) Tyrion: The "lost" Targaryen. To me, revealing Tyrion as another "lost" Targaryen would not really make me happy, because it seems a bit TOO much Targaryen for me. However, there are some hints that cannot be denied which would speak for the Tyrion= Targaryen theory... Aerys favourizing Tyrions mother, Tyrion having the most POV chapters next to Jon and Dany, Tyrion on his way to Dany. Aaand.... one extremely interesting hint can be found in the new Tyrion chapter of TWOW: A WHITE cyvasse dragon falls down, rolls in front of Tyrions feet and he picks it up. The dragon looks like WHITE WOOD with RED VEINES ( ---> WEIRWOOD). Ergo, Tyrion would be the rider of the WHITE dragon Viserion (white flower).

Any thoughts on that?

I'm laughing - only insane book readers (everyone on this board including myself) left last night's episode saying, yup, that episode was ALL about Lyanna Stark.

And I don't care that he called it a "dusk rose," and people think dusk is purple - that flower was blue as the jewels Dontos gave Sansa ;) That was a BLUE ROSE. I'm still having a nerd attack over it.

You are right, Lyanna Stark was the main-theme ;).

I totally forgot that the jewels were blue, too. I´ve wondered why they aren´t purple. But I didn´t thought about the reason for them being blue... Good catch.

1) Jon: The blue rose of course- as you already pointed out, that connection is obvious

3) Tyrion: The "lost" Targaryen. To me, revealing Tyrion as another "lost" Targaryen would not really make me happy, because it seems a bit TOO much Targaryen for me. However, there are some hints that cannot be denied which would speak for the Tyrion= Targaryen theory... Aerys favourizing Tyrions mother, Tyrion having the most POV chapters next to Jon and Dany, Tyrion on his way to Dany. Aaand.... one extremely interesting hint can be found in the new Tyrion chapter of TWOW: A WHITE cyvasse dragon falls down, rolls in front of Tyrions feet and he picks it up. The dragon looks like WHITE WOOD with RED VEINES ( ---> WEIRWOOD). Ergo, Tyrion would be the rider of the WHITE dragon Viserion (white flower).

Any thoughts on that?

King Belushi and Ser Oromus Locke connected the prophecys and three-heads very neatly with the flowers.

I really hope the flowers aren´t just a hint on the dragonrider... Just some thoughts on it:

1. I have to wonder, if the blue rose really is an obvious Jon connection. I would say the symbolism of all the flowers has several layers. Of course you have Lyanna and her several blue rose-symbols. But you also have the bael the bard story. Blue roses aren´t just a hint to Lyanna. It is a connection to the daughters of Winterfell. It could very well be a nod to Sansa and Arya as well.

(Seeing how Sansa got blue instead of purple Jewels and her dresses almost always have a blue theme...)

I think it was a Jon-Lyanna-Targ-thing. But we shouldn´t overlook other possibilities and I wouldn´t use the term obvious.

2. I don´t think Dany is the poisonous red. As it is named Harpy´s Gold this could be a hint on the dangers in Mereen. I would prefer it to be a hint on Tyrion as a poisonous Lannister, or the Lannisters overall.

3. I really hate these Tyrion=Targ-Theories... It is kitschy, plain and stupid in my opinion. It would robb Tyrion of almost all his underlying family-issues... And I like to interpret such hints as a foreshadowing of his future connection with dragons and Targaryens. Lady´s Lace and the colouring doesn´t strike me as neither very Tyrion-like nor Targaryen-like.

I have actually no idea what this could mean.

It is interesting as a contraceptive, while Dany is told to be barren. Also Lady was the name of a certain direwolf, so perhaps...

I really think this one has something to do with Dany herself. Again: I have no clue, what it could mean.

You are right, Lyanna Stark was the main-theme ;).

I totally forgot that the jewels were blue, too. I´ve wondered why they aren´t purple. But I didn´t thought about the reason for them being blue... Good catch.

I think they changed the colour of the jewels because the term "purple wedding" is known by a lot of show watchers and GRRM has been trying to put it around that this is due to the colour of the wine rather than the poison (which they obviously don't want show watchers to know about). If people saw a necklace with big purple gems they would figure it out quite easily.

This kind of thing is why I don't trust SSMs any more.

Yea it was, that was the part that hit me the most.

I just rewatched it on youtube and it's bluer than Dany's dress

:commie:

Yup.

For a show that many of us love in part for the tiniest details it gets right - actually having an entry for Arthur Dayne even though it goes by too fast to be read by viewers, the brilliant transitions (Joffrey posing like his statue in Two Swords, or swallowing wine at a wedding just as Stannis and Melisandre throw blood on a fire and say his name) etc., there is NO WAY that was not intentional. OF COURSE it was.

What it could mean in terms of plot developments, though? No clue.

I think they changed the colour of the jewels because the term "purple wedding" is known by a lot of show watchers and GRRM has been trying to put it around that this is due to the colour of the wine rather than the poison (which they obviously don't want show watchers to know about). If people saw a necklace with big purple gems they would figure it out quite easily.

This kind of thing is why I don't trust SSMs any more.

The gems are on a necklace and the poison...gem was on a hairpiece, right?

Either they're going to change that plot element to make it a necklace, or the necklace will be pinned in her hair, or the gems will be used to make a hairpiece, or these won't be the suspect gems at all.

The gems are on a necklace and the poison...gem was on a hairpiece, right?

Either they're going to change that plot element to make it a necklace, or the necklace will be pinned in her hair, or the gems will be used to make a hairpiece, or these won't be the suspect gems at all.

It's a necklace: http://i.imgur.com/ex6Mwa0.png?1

I think that will make for a clearer visual for the audience.

Only th book readers can make such connectiones with the flowers. I am watching the series with my non-reader friends and unfortunatelly they are not given much hints and clues to mak up thories their own. In the books there were lot of clues leading to som intresting theories but it's kind of sad that the tv viewers wont have that chance as there are simply no big hints going on or whatsoever. My non-reader friends paid no interest toward the color or hidden meaning of the flowers :S

Only th book readers can make such connectiones with the flowers. I am watching the series with my non-reader friends and unfortunatelly they are not given much hints and clues to mak up thories their own. In the books there were lot of clues leading to som intresting theories but it's kind of sad that the tv viewers wont have that chance as there are simply no big hints going on or whatsoever. My non-reader friends paid no interest toward the color or hidden meaning of the flowers :S

Nor should they at first. They're just laying down the foundation for what is likely to be a reveal later. In the meantime, our book-reader heads will continue to explode with all these little goodies peppered in.

Side note, but I'm wondering how many straight show-watchers theory-craft at all. Because if that's their kind of thing, you'd think they'd read the source material?

Side note, but I'm wondering how many straight show-watchers theory-craft at all. Because if that's their kind of thing, you'd think they'd read the source material?

Yes, I suppose they would if they were after something. I just feel like there could be so much more connecting hints. Sometimes the dialogues are also too plain and don't give much away. But then again, I see the show as a book reader and maybe for straight show-watchers theres plenty to ponder about.

Although I dont really like the theory about the three dragon riders, the scene with the blue rose definitely reminded me of it!

Why did Daario give her exactly THREE flowers?

Two possibilites:

1) Three flowers for three dragon riders

2) Three flowers for the three "prophecies" (one to love, one to bed, one to dread)

However, the mentioning of the three-headed dragon appears overall in the books, so it definitely has some kind of important meaning for the plot. Soooo in my opinion, the three flowers could symbolize Jon, Dany, and Tyrion as dragon riders!

Any thoughts on that?

I do like this theory and I'm not completely opposed to Tyrion being a Targ. However, I would say Tyrion would be the Red flower (poison) and Dany the white.

I have to disagree on Dany being Azor Ahai reborn. I believe it's Jon because his is the 'song of Ice and Fire' whereas Dany is completely Targ with no connections to the first Long Night while Jon has Stark (Ice) connections and relations to those involved like Bran the Builder. I think the fight against the Others has Stark territory written all over it so Dany becoming the champion (having no prior experience with the North or Wall) would be distasteful compared to Jon building up his central plot since book 1. However, who knows?

Nor should they at first. They're just laying down the foundation for what is likely to be a reveal later. In the meantime, our book-reader heads will continue to explode with all these little goodies peppered in.

Yes, I think they're really beginning to lay down the hidden R+L=J clues and building up a profile for Rhaegar and Lyanna. I hope we'll see something Lyanna related in Bran's visions or during story time from the Reeds (she-wolf/KotLT).

Some of these threads make me feel like I haven't even read the books even though I've read them all, except for ADWD, twice now. Or I'm just oblivious to some things. I didn't think anything about the flowers he gave her. I remember Dany thinking about how Daario would bring her a new kind of flower every day on the march to Meereen. That's all I thought that scene was. I didn't have any idea it meant that Daario was Rhaegar or Benjen. I still don't see how he could be either. Barristan new Rhaegar and we've all seen Benjen. Can anybody explain the Daario = Rhaegar thing to me??

Some of these threads make me feel like I haven't even read the books even though I've read them all, except for ADWD, twice now. Or I'm just oblivious to some things. I didn't think anything about the flowers he gave her. I remember Dany thinking about how Daario would bring her a new kind of flower every day on the march to Meereen. That's all I thought that scene was. I didn't have any idea it meant that Daario was Rhaegar or Benjen. I still don't see how he could be either. Barristan new Rhaegar and we've all seen Benjen. Can anybody explain the Daario = Rhaegar thing to me??

No, because that's a very unsupported theory (as are any "Rhaegar is alive" theories). Same with Benny. I'd put both theories deep into the "crackpot" category.

Blue roses n the books are often associated with Lyanna, and therefore with Jon, if you believe R+L=J (which is a very popular theory, and quite well-founded, IMO).

The reason people are freaking out about the rose, especially because it followed a scene with an assumed reference to Lyanna, is that people think it's the way of the show-runners starting to pepper in R+L groundwork. The blue rose, which Daario says helps to cure fevers, recalls R+L=J, as Lyanna died of a fever in a room that smelled "like blood and roses," she loved the blue winter roses in the Winterfell glass gardens, Rhaegar gave her a crown of blue roses at the tourney, etc.

Because Jon is thereby also associated with the blue rose (being her spawn and born in that room where she died), Dany being handed the blue rose is being interpreted as many different things; people assume Jon and Dany's fates will become intertwined at some point, with Jon being one of the heads of the dragon, or being the mount Dany rides "to love." All of this is pure speculation, of course, but this rose being brought out in a bouquet of 3 is drawing extra attention.

IMO they're going to drop little hints here and there, but I don't think we should bend over backwards to analyze this scene. We have the source material if we want to obsess over anything.

In short: http://photos.vanityfair.com/2014/04/07/5342cc9d7686d86f770114c7_symbolism1.gif

No, because that's a very unsupported theory (as are any "Rhaegar is alive" theories). Same with Benny. I'd put both theories deep into the "crackpot" category.

Blue roses n the books are often associated with Lyanna, and therefore with Jon, if you believe R+L=J (which is a very popular theory, and quite well-founded, IMO).

The reason people are freaking out about the rose, especially because it followed a scene with an assumed reference to Lyanna, is that people think it's the way of the show-runners starting to pepper in R+L groundwork. The blue rose, which Daario says helps to cure fevers, recalls R+L=J, as Lyanna died of a fever in a room that smelled "like blood and roses," she loved the blue winter roses in the Winterfell glass gardens, Rhaegar gave her a crown of blue roses at the tourney, etc.

Because Jon is thereby also associated with the blue rose (being her spawn and born in that room where she died), Dany being handed the blue rose is being interpreted as many different things; people assume Jon and Dany's fates will become intertwined at some point, with Jon being one of the heads of the dragon, or being the mount Dany rides "to love." All of this is pure speculation, of course, but this rose being brought out in a bouquet of 3 is drawing extra attention.

IMO they're going to drop little hints here and there, but I don't think we should bend over backwards to analyze this scene. We have the source material if we want to obsess over anything.

In short: http://photos.vanityfair.com/2014/04/07/5342cc9d7686d86f770114c7_symbolism1.gif

OK, thanks for not making me feel even more stupid. I do definitely believe the R+L=J theory is true. I thought I was a genius for figuring that out on a 2nd read of Game of Thrones. Then I started looking around on here and found out it's pretty common knowledge.

I think the writers were setting up the story for when the Pale Mare hits Meereen.

I do think the writers are going to completely introduce R+L = J as a theory this year (not confirm or deny, just introduce). But The events in Meereen are Dany's arch for this season, so it makes sense to use the flowers more directly with that part of her story. Daario even makes a point of telling Dany that she needs to know the land in order to rule her people. Now Dany knows that when a fever hits her people, she needs to find blue roses.

Totally

His bright blue eyes. On the road from Yunkai, Daario had brought her a flower or a sprig of some plant every evening when he made his report … to help her learn the land, he said. Waspwillow, dusky roses, wild mint, lady’s lace, daggerleaf, broom, prickly ben, harpy’s gold …

I thought I'd post the quote from the book up. Having a second look at it it seems it might be a list of people Dany may meet. I wonder if they are people who will help her learn the land when she gets to Westeros. The show probably picked the most important people (prickly ben didn't make it); dusk rose which would be Jon, lady's lace which could be Sansa and harpy's gold which has Lannister colours so could be Tyrion if Dany meets him in Meereen or could be strong woman character.

Up until santa brought me the books, I was a show watcher, and didn't plan on touching the books until the show had finished and the books were all written.

Some of my pre-book theories included

1. R+L = J

2. Sam would become the saviour of the wall against the ww

3. Gendry would become king eventually

4. Jon would contact Dany for a lend of her dragons against the ww

5. Tywin would bump joffrey off

I had more but they were my favourite ones to argue with my friend about. Occasionally a book reader friend would throw us little scraps of info and we would argue those points too. I was 100% sure cat would become a Wight somehow.

Edited to add my actual point.........

My friend the non book reader was on to the blue rose = Lyanna nod.

His bright blue eyes. On the road from Yunkai, Daario had brought her a flower or a sprig of some plant every evening when he made his report … to help her learn the land, he said. Waspwillow, dusky roses, wild mint, lady’s lace, daggerleaf, broom, prickly ben, harpy’s gold …

I thought I'd post the quote from the book up. Having a second look at it it seems it might be a list of people Dany may meet. I wonder if they are people who will help her learn the land when she gets to Westeros. The show probably picked the most important people (prickly ben didn't make it); dusk rose which would be Jon, lady's lace which could be Sansa and harpy's gold which has Lannister colours so could be Tyrion if Dany meets him in Meereen or could be strong woman character.

Brilliant. I think that could be it. The show rarely has scenes like that; ones that don't lay groundwork for something, provide exposition, move the story forward. So I tend to believe that scene is foreshadowing something.

I believe the blue rose means lyanna is danys real mother, ned found them at the tower of joy and seperated the twins somehow, took dany to dorne because he couldnt take a targ looking baby back to winterfell with him. I also think this is why dany dreams and thinks of the house with the red door, and the lemon tree outside where she was happy. I dont believe that dany was born on dragonstone to queen rhaela. The ring that dany wears on her finger probably has something to do with who her true mother . could have been lyannas ring. Im not going to type all of the other reasons i believe this to be true im too tired.another thing i interperated was in danys dreams she said I dont have the exact quotes here are some she felt her blood boil, her and the dragon screamed as one, Id have to look up other referances but I believe she is a warg from her stark side she also heard a wolf howl off in the distance that made her feel sad and lonely hint hint from GRRM. also there was talk of two moons meaning twins,also mance rayder who i believe is her father prince rhaegar ,Dany will bring the black dragon Drogon to him to ride after all he is the LAST DRAGON! to tired to write any more you guys have to look at the big picture endgame.

Archived