[BOOK SPOILERS] The Brawl at the Tavern

Darkbringer

How did we think it went down? I loved the back and forward about the chickens, the actors playing the Hound and Polliver nailed it. That cock-eyed bloody expression from Polliver, I loved it. Didnt seem like the Hound got properly wounded though, well have to see next episode, but there should be no good reason to leave that out. Overall, well built up scene, and well choreographed.

"I understand that If i hear any more words come pouring out of your cunt mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Gold, pure gold.

We can see Arya starting to go full darkside now, and its awesome.

Also crazy ultra-violence with the hound smashing that guy's face down onto the dagger. Hound is such a weapon.

One of my favourite scenes in the series thus far...

There was just so much going on from the start when Arya wants a horse - quickly and smoothly allowed an insight into where both characters were at and that they have a chance to get Arya to the Vale.

The hedge-spying - well done but completely outshone by the 'What the fuck is a Lommy?" line.

Once they entered the tavern though - mind = blown. So much going on in the dialogue between Poliver and Sandor.

The brawl itself was well choreographed and reaffirmed The Hound's menace.

Arya's first kill was great and her second was just brilliant. I would have just liked to have seen a tad more menace in the first kill - something reminiscent of Brienne's 'Two Quick Deaths', but definitely no complaints from me.

And the closing - showing the desolation of the Riverlands. This was a key part of Arya's story in the books - it served to show the suffering of the small-folk. I felt this was missing somewhat in the previous seasons but I am really happy they have gone that way now.

And the closing - showing the desolation of the Riverlands. This was a key part of Arya's story in the books - it served to show the suffering of the small-folk. I felt this was missing somewhat in the previous seasons but I am really happy they have gone that way now.

Yeah totally. That place has just copped so much pain, its good to see that shown properly.

Show Arya avenging Lommy never gave me the chills that book Arya killing the Tickler or

Raff the sweetling

gave me, it feel kind of bland compared to those scenes.

For me it was the opposite. In the books she goes beserk (AKA S3E10). While in the show you see the point where she makes a decision, and goes down another path, and relishes the killing. Much darker, I feel. .

So we can assume Sandor will not be headed to the Quiet Ilse?

It's only Episode 1, plenty of time and events between here and then.

Such a great scene. It's one of those moments where I know it's coming, but I'm still holding my breath waiting for the penny to drop. Sandor kept going for his drink, and I'm sitting there thinking do it do it do it!

Thought for a second that Arya wouldn't intervene, but nope... I loved how decisive it felt for her. It was cold, calculated bloodlust. I was so happy for the throwback to Harrenhal and Lommy. Made it all feel full circle.

He may yet be wounded, we'll just have to wait and see.

If they didn't have it here I figure they will just drop the subplot entirely. Makes sense, one less location and less casting to be done. Just wonder if they will kill off the Hound (I hope not), have him travel further with Arya before becoming injured or just plain left behind, or something new entirely.

Though his living in the show at this point does bode well for his as of yet not entirely confirmed vacation on the Quiet Ilse and continued survival.

One of my favourite scenes in the series thus far...

The hedge-spying - well done but completely outshone by the 'What the fuck is a Lommy?" line.

Arya's first kill was great and her second was just brilliant. I would have just liked to have seen a tad more menace in the first kill - something reminiscent of Brienne's 'Two Quick Deaths', but definitely no complaints from me.

I think I agree with the Kinkslayer.

I would have preferred a "is there gold in the Village" reference, since Polliver was one of her Harrenhal captors / torturers as well. (What she did here in the show also relates to a later event - negating it ?)

Plus I hope the Harrenhal reference isn't lost in her dialogue with the Hound later. She was the Mountain's prisoner, and Tywin's cupbearer FFS !

I would have preferred a "is there gold in the Village" reference, since Polliver was one of her Harrenhal captors / torturers as well.

"Is there gold in the village" didn't have the repetition in the show as it did in the books so it carries far far less meaning as much as to be irrelevant to the show. Linking the events here directly to Lommy's death is enough to demonstrate the path of vengeance Arya has started to travel.

"Is there gold in the village" didn't have the repetition in the show as it did in the books so it carries far far less meaning as much as to be irrelevant to the show. Linking the events here directly to Lommy's death is enough to demonstrate the path of vengeance Arya has started to travel.

It wouldn't need repetition, just a sinister edge to it - let's say that (in his last moments) he realizes to his horror that this is Lord Tywin's (escaped from Harrenhal) cupbearer who's got him dead to rights.

I thought the scene was *mostly* good.

1) I didn't like Polliver downplaying "torture, torture, and more torture" under Gregor -- it almost seemed like he was criticizing Gregor. It would have been better if Polliver made it seem like he liked working for "Ser", and then having it clear that that sealed his fate.

2) Sandor's line about hearing another word from Polliver's mouth would have been much more effective if (like Jaime in AFFC), Sandor would have opened up the second Polliver started to say something else, instead of waiting for Polliver to finish his speech.

3) I don't remember if it was in Season 2, but if not, it would have been better to act out having raped the innkeeper's daughter and asking for change, which was (in ACOK) attributed to Ser Gregor.

4) Less exposition by Arya to The Hound while spying on the inn.

Yeah totally. That place has just copped so much pain, its good to see that shown properly.

I got real The Road vibes from that shot.

I wouldn't declare the Quiet Isle plot a no-go or assume that the Season 4 arc won't mirror the books just yet. The Hound could have a minor wound that winds up festering due to lack of proper treatment (not too different from what happened with Khal Drogo), or he could get into another skirmish and get wounded in that one.

The Hound seems just a shade too chipper in his scenes, although I guess they could wear him down more gradually as their situation becomes more and more bleak.

I thought the scene was *mostly* good.

1) I didn't like Polliver downplaying "torture, torture, and more torture" under Gregor -- it almost seemed like he was criticizing Gregor. It would have been better if Polliver made it seem like he liked working for "Ser", and then having it clear that that sealed his fate.

4) Less exposition by Arya to The Hound while spying on the inn.

1) I actually liked his little bit about torturing people until it got boring. You could see that flash of hate in Arya's eyes, and so I thought it would have been a great lead-in to an "is there gold in the Village" death for him. Rather than the Lommy one.

4) To me, if they had made it more meaningful exposition, that would be fine. The Hound should know his brother's men well enough, and that his brother was holding Harrenhal, so if Arya said she'd been there, that means ...

if you know what I mean.

Archived