[BOOK SPOILERS] The Brawl at the Tavern

Darkbringer

I got real The Road vibes from that shot.

I wouldn't declare the Quiet Isle plot a no-go or assume that the Season 4 arc won't mirror the books just yet. The Hound could have a minor wound that winds up festering due to lack of proper treatment (not too different from what happened with Khal Drogo), or he could get into another skirmish and get wounded in that one.

The Hound seems just a shade too chipper in his scenes, although I guess they could wear him down more gradually as their situation becomes more and more bleak.

Agree, in the books it took a while after the inn before he couldnt go on, IIRC

And does anyone else think his scars were hardly there ?

I did notice his face didn't seem as burned / scarred as it did in the earlier seasons at King's Landing. It still looked misshapen and odd though.

As for the previous comment that he looked too 'chipper' no I don't think so - he still seems pretty dour and pissed off at the world nor does he seem overly strong in the fight scene. They got him on the ground and were kicking him, so it's obvious he's not at his top game to me. He's hungry and worn down and they've been riding a long time with no gold or food. If they're going to keep the plot the same as from the books or similar, it will probably be next episode that he reveals he's injured worse than Arya could have seen.

Arya however, seems damn chipper riding her own horse with Needle back. Her smile was priceless. I think it's fine she's going down the 'dark' path already. She's seen a lot of death this far - don't forget she just came from witnessing a lot of what happened at the Red Wedding if not her Mother and brother's deaths directly, she was outside watching much of the carnage before the Hound knocked her out. She's clearly been traumatized by that. Not even all the deaths and destruction along the roadside phased her. She's only got vengeance keeping her going.

Did anyone else think the guy on top of the Hound was very similar to Oberyn on top of Gregor.

He even grabs his face the same way trying to stick his fingers in his eyes and then smashes it down killing him.

Interesting. Honestly it all happened so fast, I didn't even think of that. Nice catch!

This for me was the highlight of the episode, starting with the conversation between the Hound and Polliver and then the fight ending with the a just revenge for Lommy.

When Arya is watching the hound fight it seems like she is studying his style and then goes into action. The fact that the hound doesn't seem hurt can easily be fixed with a scene in coming episodes where he is complaining that a cut isn't healing.

Arya has been getting dark since Ned's death, first learning about when to kill and not with Jaqen H'ghar in Harrenhal and then killing for justice and how sometimes justice is blind with the Men without banners. With the Hound it is the next step in the education which is sending her in a darker direction, killing to survive and enjoying the thrill. Her story is different from the book but It is happen at roughly the same pace if you think about the amount of time Arya gets onscreen.

It wouldn't need repetition, just a sinister edge to it - let's say that (in his last moments) he realizes to his horror that this is Lord Tywin's (escaped from Harrenhal) cupbearer who's got him dead to rights.

Did not the lines used have a sinister edge? Did he not realise who she was and the vengeance he was about to fall to?

The 'gold' line is memorable to many readers because of the way it was used. Had it not been for its repetition, it would not have had the meaning it did when it was finally used.

TV is primarily a visual medium. Linking the event to Lommy's death had far more impact than linking it to a line that was used, what... twice during the rat torture scenes - no matter how much menace was used.

For me it was the opposite. In the books she goes beserk (AKA S3E10). While in the show you see the point where she makes a decision, and goes down another path, and relishes the killing. Much darker, I feel. .

I agree with this, the methodical and downright relaxed way she did it made me believe something had died inside her. Which is probably true.

Also, the icy, pitiless way she asked "can you walk boy" (It REEKED with sadism) and her riding away on that horse with a psycho smirk afterwards was chilling.

The only person in the series I can picture doing this is Yara Greyjoy and that should tell you everything about what has happened to Arya. I could EASILY see this version of Arya turning into a faceless man and NEVER looking back.

If Ned saw her like this he would have a frickin heart attack.

Is GRRM messing with us releasing "Mercy" and then changing the plot in this episode of Game of Thrones?

Arya had one of the best lines EVER after her kill of Poliver in the books.

Fighting with the Hound + against the Mountains Men + in the Riverlands (wastelands) = badass

For me she looked more serial killer than a child filled with rage. Just wasn't my interpretation when I read it and I think Martin does it better. Arya looked like a psychopath rather than the lost soul that she is in the book. Another scene at the end of the last season when she drops the coin and stabs the hell out of the Frey soldier, the way she talks in that scene she sounds so psychotic and flips the coin like "whoopsy" but when she escapes Harrenhal she acts calm as you like and swiftly slits the guard's throat. I just prefer Arya in the books than the series. Think Maisie plays her well though.

Always used to be one of these people who thought reading a book would never match watching on-screen with music and everything but how the tables have turned! I still admire the show very much.

Always used to be one of these people who thought reading a book would never match watching on-screen with music and everything but how the tables have turned! I still admire the show very much.

Welcome to the Forum :)

As for reading vs watching, when you read something, you build up a version of the world in your own mind and it becomes 'yours'. With a film or TV show, you are watching someone else's interpretation of the story.

It was one of the main reasons I didn't want to read the books before I had watched the series as I could picture a place, a voice or a face that had been shown to me but I just don't think the series compares anymore! I don't mind that though because I love the books so much!

I completely agree about my interpretation but it is the little details that D&D change about GRRM's work that gets to me. Anyway! I'm still engrossed by it. Can't wait to see where whores go!

Is GRRM messing with us releasing "Mercy" and then changing the plot in this episode of Game of Thrones?

Arya had one of the best lines EVER after her kill of Poliver in the books.

I was thinking he knew this scene was in this episode and wanted to show the book version first.

I LOVED her lines in "Mercy". :)

Show Arya avenging Lommy never gave me the chills that book Arya killing the Tickler or

Raff the sweetling

gave me, it feel kind of bland compared to those scenes.

that was so awesome. its like she just flipped the switch to becoming full badass

Archived