[BOOK SPOILERS] The Brawl at the Tavern

Darkbringer

A little nitpicky but... Arya seemed to take too long to get in on the action. Was Polliver just lying there near her under the table all that time? Why wasn't she moving to intervene when the Hound had a knife at his throat? Why not glance at Polliver, at the least, to see where he is?

The first kill with the sword was unrealistically and strangely slow, the way she gently glided it into the guy's chest. The slowness worked better with the Polliver kill.

Also, one moment of eye contact between Arya and the Hound during the fight would have been welcome... that we see the Hound's reaction to what she does to Polliver.

I loved the scene but I think I will always, for all eternity, watch this scene and think a slow gentle piercing with a huge sword is not realistic. She barely put her weight behind it.

The first kill with the sword was unrealistically and strangely slow, the way she gently glided it into the guy's chest. The slowness worked better with the Polliver kill.

A case of 'reality is unrealistic', you can actually pierce human flesh quite easily if you have a sharp enough blade, even slowly (as any person who's had an anatomy class can tell you).

A case of 'reality is unrealistic', you can actually pierce human flesh quite easily if you have a sharp enough blade, even slowly (as any person who's had an anatomy class can tell you).

Clarifying: An 80 pound child gently, in a life or death situation, gliding a long and heavy sword into anything, flesh or not, without putting a some effort into it, is unrealistic, especially considering it's her first kill with a sword that huge, and she has no idea now heavy his clothing or armor might be, and doesn't know if she'll hit bone or not. I wasn't talking about anatomy, I was talking about the logistics of that part of the scene.

The slowness worked better with Polliver because it was the exposed flesh of his neck with her trusty Needle.

I guess we won't be getting the Mountain and the Inn Keeper's daughter, as I take it she was only doing that episode.

Seeing as The Mountain is in 3 episodes, I'm trying to figure out what he'll be doing in the first appearance.

Could he be at the Wedding?

So we can assume Sandor will not be headed to the Quiet Ilse?

He may be wounded, and we just don't know it yet, or he may yet become wounded in the next few episodes. The fine details of the show haven't always matched the book. Maybe they have Arya wound him herself. The future of Sandor may still play a big part in the books, and I doubt they would just drop this part of the plot altogether.

Did not the lines used have a sinister edge? Did he not realise who she was and the vengeance he was about to fall to?

The 'gold' line is memorable to many readers because of the way it was used. Had it not been for its repetition, it would not have had the meaning it did when it was finally used.

TV is primarily a visual medium. Linking the event to Lommy's death had far more impact than linking it to a line that was used, what... twice during the rat torture scenes - no matter how much menace was used.

Since they [felt they] had to show Lommy's death from Season 2 in the recap, I'd argue that it was *just* as memorable (i.e., not at all) as the lines used in the show...they could just easily have used the lines from Season 2 and shown those scenes in the recap.

This made me laugh out loud.

They enter a bar. They’re outnumbered. They don’t care because they’re The Hound and Arya.

The Hound demands a chicken. No, two chickens. He has no money. He doesn't care because he's The Hound. He downs beer like a man. And, 56 minutes into the 59-minute episode, we get to see some killing.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-04-06/entertainment/bal-game-of-thrones-season-4-debut-arya-the-assassin-20140406_1_tyrion-lannisters-targaryens

I thought it was a good scene. I don't think he's wounded. We know of a bunch more scenes to come, including a scene where he shows Arya how to give the gift of mercy, a scene where Arya practices with Needle and he's standing by watching, a scene where it looks like she may be warging and he's looking at her, etc. And there is a fight scene that is supposed to be really big and bloody to come.

A little nitpicky but... Arya seemed to take too long to get in on the action. Was Polliver just lying there near her under the table all that time? Why wasn't she moving to intervene when the Hound had a knife at his throat? Why not glance at Polliver, at the least, to see where he is?

Also, one moment of eye contact between Arya and the Hound during the fight would have been welcome... that we see the Hound's reaction to what she does to Polliver.

I loved the scene but I think I will always, for all eternity, watch this scene and think a slow gentle piercing with a huge sword is not realistic. She barely put her weight behind it.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Was she waiting because she wasn't sure whether she wanted the Hound to live, or because they wanted to show it as a deliberate decision on her part (emphasizing the cataclysmic change undergone by the character)?

Is it just me or does it seem like they are setting up Polliver's "group" aka leftovers of Gregor marauding leaderless is going to be the Brave Companions? Rorge and Biter make their return and I don't see them shaking up with "Locke." This could be a way to tie the two together as well?

Though his living in the show at this point does bode well for his as of yet not entirely confirmed vacation on the Quiet Ilse and continued survival.

this is what I'm afraid of. I loved him on the Quiet Isle. And I think Arya leaving him by the road is pretty much where she leaves her humanity behind, so I think it's important.

Archived