[BOOK SPOILERS] The Brawl at the Tavern

Darkbringer

The action sequences were really brutal, and I cheered every time the Hound punched someone.

I liked the punching mixed in with the swordfighting, nice touch.

I actually didn't like the way they made Arya hold back until the fighting was pretty much done.. I would've had her jump in sooner.

I think she was afraid at first, and then she wasn't afraid.

such a great scene. it was brutal, but so funny too. "what the fuck's a lommy?" and just how long it took for the hound to down that drink. i was laughing so hard.

they will probably have him wounded in a later episode.

this revenge kill was awesome for arya, but i'm still mad that they killed off the tickler earlier. when she kills him in the book, it is amazing. im gonna miss her yelling the questions at him. still loved this scene though.

Did anyone else think the guy on top of the Hound was very similar to Oberyn on top of Gregor.

He even grabs his face the same way trying to stick his fingers in his eyes and then smashes it down killing him.

Immediately. I thought that was great...then he didn't / couldn't crush his skull...he may be a big guy, but he's not the Mountain.

I thought this scene was a drag. Too long for a start. All the talking with Polliver, what was the point to that? Then they went for each other and you could literally see and feel the choreographer in the background commanding their every move, it was so artificial. And Arya was just standing there with the same blank expression she had on during the never-ending Polliver-Hound talk, watching as they fought, not quite knowing what she was expected to do (as an actress, not as the character herself). Then there was Polliver and she grabbed Needle and for a brief moment the genius S01 child actress shined up, but only for a moment and then she was too calm and too serious and there was no trace of the broken, messed up, furious book Arya driven by vengeance, justice, pain, loss and helplessness. Just a Let's make a memorable scene now face of a disciplined actress. To sum up all this blabber, it didn't suck me in, I didn't believe it. And that's an entirely subjective opinion, and I'm glad most people liked the scene.

I'm so happy to see Arya statuses and comments all over Facebook instead of typical sheep comments like Hodor/Calleese!!!<3

Immediately. I thought that was great...then he didn't / couldn't crush his skull...he may be a big guy, but he's not the Mountain.

ha I was half expecting for him to take his eyes out but he wasn't strong enough like you said. I can't wait to see the Viper Vs Mountain Duel now.

I thought it was a very good scene.

Some thoughts about Arya

In the show the most traumatic thing she has seen is the Red wedding and its aftermath. The questioning of the villagers was only a brief interlude. It made sense therefore not to give us the Arya from the books until the end of season 3. We've already had her show equivalant of the Tickler scene where she goes manianical on the Frey soldier.

Now we see a far more cold blooded calculating Arya. Some have said they didnt like the way she hung back. I think she was simply assessing the situation and only entered the fight when she could do so without risk, attacking a couple of guys from behind who were focused solely on the hound. Who knows if the fight had gone against the hound she might have bolted for the door instead. It is that cold bloodedness that the needed to bring for Arya in the show, not the killing rage.

Exactly - she had witnessed the Red Wedding, and had the blood lust vent in last season. She has moved on now to something.... darker.

Agree 100%. As much as I loved the book version, if she went all "gold & silver" on Polliver after she had already killed the Frey soldier in a similar manner it wouldn't have done anything to develop the character. The audience would just think she's this pissed off stabby little kid.

I thought the scene was done pretty damn well, however I'm on board with the "psychotic repeating of questions while brutually stabbing him" being more impactful. The problem is they basically took two great revenge kills from Arya (The Tickler & Raff) and morphed them into 1. It was a good scene, but it all goes back to why the hell did they have to kill the Tickler??? Just sucks that the best part of the TWOW Mercy sample chapter is now eliminated from the show. Oh well, still quite the scene.

I'm so happy to see Arya statuses and comments all over Facebook instead of typical sheep comments like Hodor/Calleese!!!<3

ha I was half expecting for him to take his eyes out but he wasn't strong enough like you said. I can't wait to see the Viper Vs Mountain Duel now.

I think I'm looking forward to that duel more than any scene this season. And there are so many epic scenes to come!

Amazing scene.

Interesting that the Hound didn't get wounded though. As far as I remember, during that brawl in the books he picks up the wound that (supposedly) ends up killing him?

Makes me intrigued as to where they're going to take that story thread.

Agree 100%. As much as I loved the book version, if she went all "gold & silver" on Polliver after she had already killed the Frey soldier in a similar manner it wouldn't have done anything to develop the character. The audience would just think she's this pissed off stabby little kid.

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

I really liked the scene. And a lot of gamers could learn from that - to describe their actions in a brawl.

Clarifying: An 80 pound child gently, in a life or death situation, gliding a long and heavy sword into anything, flesh or not, without putting a some effort into it, is unrealistic, especially considering it's her first kill with a sword that huge, and she has no idea now heavy his clothing or armor might be, and doesn't know if she'll hit bone or not. I wasn't talking about anatomy, I was talking about the logistics of that part of the scene.

The slowness worked better with Polliver because it was the exposed flesh of his neck with her trusty Needle.

I interpreted that scene in the exact opposite way, I thought she was being slow because it was taking her a lot of effort.

Amazing scene.

Interesting that the Hound didn't get wounded though. As far as I remember, during that brawl in the books he picks up the wound that (supposedly) ends up killing him?

Makes me intrigued as to where they're going to take that story thread.

One reason I think they may still do something similar is that scene in one of the previews with the gift of mercy. Arya is talking to the dying man while the Hound is getting him water. Why introduce that and not follow through, is at least what I'm thinking. Again, who knows...

the hound can't get fatally wounded in the premiere episode. he's a fan favorite and i think D&D will try and drag him out as long as possible

Well seems , in an interview, both Maisie and Rory mention that Arya and the Hound leave a trail of mayhem for the next 9 episodes (I guess minus episode 8)... I don't know what that means, a lot of inventing to do now.

I figure the Hound gets his 'ambiguous fatal wound' in either episode 8 or 10.

This is oddly, in a totally different way, the Arya-Mercy chapter from Winds of Winter...

Noted: In the book, as in S4E1, Arya seemingly saves the Hounds life, Polliver may have been able to surprise him if she has not taken action.(The squire is missing , some random guy , she kills, takes his place).

In the book, I think it was before this, Sandor starts called her She Wolf, I hope they use that in the show.

Archived