Never thought I'd miss Ed Skrein, but...

I think I would rather have the guy that couldn't act but at least showed some traits of Daario than the guy who now may as well just be a new character. In fact I think i'm just going to call him Mark, he looks kind of like a Mark.

And wasn't the whole point of Daario in the books to show Dany was still acting like a bratty teenager by falling for the 'bad-boy, i do whatever i want when i want guy', and that we shouldn't take her seriously as a ruler yet? I don't want a Daario that is charming and picks flowers for her and would make a sensible husband for any would-be Queen.

Dare I also point out that this is episode one and he had literally two scenes, one of which was almost a dick-measuring contest (ironic since one was Unsullied) and the other is him trying to make Dany swoon and give her some political ideas... Very Daario like.

even then, why does that mean Dany has to be attracted to him over Daario? Women aren't all attracted to one man. Old and New Daario could be played by Steven Buscemi with a blue wig and I'd still rather Dany be attracted to him over Jorah because that's just how the book goes... Also, I know things in this world are a little different... but don't you think that showJorah is just too old for Dany?

And yeah, agree to disagree. I see nothing notable in the old guy, but the new one has much better chemistry and delivery.

To me the book and the show are two different mediums. I don't need it to follow it exactly, but if you're going to have it follow, at least have it make sense. I do see your point about Jorah being too old for Dany, I guess that factors into it. New Daario to me is just bland, no swagger in his step, nothing in his face to set him apart from every other character. No smugness, he doesn't look dangerous. I don't know lol. I saw MUCH more chemistry last season than in episode 1. Their exchange seemed forced.

Dare I also point out that this is episode one and he had literally two scenes, one of which was almost a dick-measuring contest (ironic since one was Unsullied) and the other is him trying to make Dany swoon and give her some political ideas... Very Daario like.

It's WHAT Daario would do, but it's not LIKE Daario would do. And that's my issue.

even then, why does that mean Dany has to be attracted to him over Daario? Women aren't all attracted to one man. Old and New Daario could be played by Steven Buscemi with a blue wig and I'd still rather Dany be attracted to him over Jorah because that's just how the book goes... Also, I know things in this world are a little different... but don't you think that showJorah is just too old for Dany?

showJorah isn't a bit "aggressive" as bookJorah is. IICR, Jorah told her straight that she should marry him because he would always fight for her and be loyal, right after he kissed her. In show he as also fought for her already three times and protected her and he didn't even spoke and she "you're to familiar"zoned him (bitch). Jorah is more convenient than Daario, at least he's a Lord (exiled, but whatever. Once she's Queen she can have Bear Island back).

showJorah isn't a bit "aggressive" as bookJorah is. IICR, Jorah told her straight that she should marry him because he would always fight for her and be loyal, right after he kissed her. In show he as also fought for her already three times and protected her and he didn't even spoke and she "you're to familiar"zoned him (bitch). Jorah is more convenient than Daario, at least he's a Lord (exiled, but whatever. Once she's Queen she can have Bear Island back).

All that devotion doesn't mean Dany should feel obligated to love him. He swore to obey her before he showed romance to her... also, his betrayal of her is still not revealed, so there's that.

To me the book and the show are two different mediums. I don't need it to follow it exactly, but if you're going to have it follow, at least have it make sense. I do see your point about Jorah being too old for Dany, I guess that factors into it. New Daario to me is just bland, no swagger in his step, nothing in his face to set him apart from every other character. No smugness, he doesn't look dangerous. I don't know lol. I saw MUCH more chemistry last season than in episode 1. Their exchange seemed forced.

It's WHAT Daario would do, but it's not LIKE Daario would do. And that's my issue.

I know they're different mediums but it seems extremely stupid to change the story line because one of the actors playing an unattractive and shady morals character is more attractive than the guy playing the character she is meant to be attracted to.

Honestly, they did a terrible miscasting for Daario in season 3. He looked nothing like book daario, blue goatee gold tooth--what?

However, Season 3 Daario personified the character and played the part perfectly. Arrogant, rude, and skilled as fuck.

More importantly, Season 3 Daario and Daenerys? Amazing chemistry. You could see the sexual tension. it was there. it lingered. jorah blushed every time they shared a look.

This Season 4 Daario? Theres like zero chemistry between him and daenerys. And that's a problem.

Agreed... Season 3 Daario was douche-incarnate, but that's what he was supposed to be.

Honestly, they did a terrible miscasting for Daario in season 3. He looked nothing like book daario, blue goatee gold tooth--what?

However, Season 3 Daario personified the character and played the part perfectly. Arrogant, rude, and skilled as fuck.

More importantly, Season 3 Daario and Daenerys? Amazing chemistry. You could see the sexual tension. it was there. it lingered. jorah blushed every time they shared a look.

This Season 4 Daario? Theres like zero chemistry between him and daenerys. And that's a problem.

It wasn't a "terrible miscasting"... It was a deliberate choice. The Tyroshi wouldn't play out well on TV. It would look silly.

But otherwise, yes, I agree 1000000% with the rest of your assessment. It's essentially what I came here to say, word for word. Old Daario was a sexy motherfucker and I hated to love it.

Plus, New Daario looks like so many boring extras. Brown hair, brown beard. Come on..

You may not point that out because apparently everyone has made up their mind about New!Daario after seeing maybe 5 minutes of expositional dialogue and not much to work with. As a huge fan of Michiel's, it's extremely frustrating to see people writing him off after two scenes, especially because he can act circles around Ed. And I agree, both scenes were great, but subtle - which is throwing a lot of people off.

I think what it comes down to though is whom you find more believable a match for Show!Dany. S3 Daario? Sorry, but D&D obviously didn't like what they were seeing as they could have locked Ed down, but did not. If he was legally contracted to the show, he couldn't have left for the Transporter movies. Compare that with Michiel being signed for S5 within months of being announced as Ed's replacement.

Plus, you can moan and groan about the recast as much as you'd like, but they 100% could have put Michiel in a long blond wig. They didn't. Which says that either they would have rather gone with this look from the beginning or that they don't want you to remember the Old!Daario because they're trying to reinvent him. Gone is the brash, OTT arrogance, replaced with a more subtle, nuanced performance, which I'm sure you'll see in the coming weeks.

Whether that you like that or not is your prerogative. But don't be fooled - it has nothing to do with the actors. It's how the character is being (re-)written.

I really wanted to give this new Daario a chance but .He just looks like a dork, he doesn't look fit or strong enough to be a skilled warrior.

Every step he made looked as if he was going to fall over. The tone of his voice was dull and uninspired. I agree with everyone that thinks Jorah is

a lot better looking and charismatic ,next to this guy new Daario is as dull as dish water.

I mustve missed the blue hair and goatee on the new one.

Looks aside, I felt the Ed Daario had more swagger. More, gods gift to women about him and thats whats Daario is. Hes an arrogant bad boy.

From the little we saw of new Daario, he seemed to be chasing Dany more. When it should be the other way around and didnt have that same feel to him.

I think he will improve later, I like the actor playing him, I just dont think he was given enough screen time and perhaps not the best script for this episode.

Change is always met with hostility.

Old Daario came across like a vain, murderous braggart, and he had that smug smirk on his face constantly. New Daario hasn't done anything to give me that impression yet, with both of his scenes giving me the impression he was more playful than anything (except when he was being a dick to Grey Worm, pretty ballsy to hit an Unsullied under the belt).

I did not get the impression he was some risk-taking gambler whatsoever, if that's what they were trying to go for with dead-fish's lines.

You may not point that out because apparently everyone has made up their mind about New!Daario after seeing maybe 5 minutes of expositional dialogue and not much to work with. As a huge fan of Michiel's, it's extremely frustrating to see people writing him off after two scenes, especially because he can act circles around Ed. And I agree, both scenes were great, but subtle - which is throwing a lot of people off.

Unless he's going to change the way he walks and talks, 5 minutes is all a lot of us needed. Hell, it only took 5 minutes for me to understand that Old Daario was arrogant and that he had the attitude. I could be wrong, but unless new Daario starts looking more dangerous, and starts walking with more swagger, and starts talking with more of a poetic charisma, it's just not going to do it for me. If it does for you, better for you. But for me, I think this is one of the worst, if not the worst casting of the entire series. It's basically just another westorosi as I and others have pointed out.

New Daario looks way too traditional, there's nothing really remarkable or exotic about him. Old Daario on the other hand, looked remarkably cheesy; he was memorable, but maybe not in the right way

So overall, my veredict is: *shrugs* I really don't care about that character

Unless he's going to change the way he walks and talks, 5 minutes is all a lot of us needed. Hell, it only took 5 minutes for me to understand that Old Daario was arrogant and that he had the attitude. I could be wrong, but unless new Daario starts looking more dangerous, and starts walking with more swagger, and starts talking with more of a poetic charisma, it's just not going to do it for me. If it does for you, better for you. But for me, I think this is one of the worst, if not the worst casting of the entire series. It's basically just another westorosi as I and others have pointed out.

Well in the five minutes I saw of Ed, I didn't like him and couldn't see Dany falling for him, so different strokes for different folks.

I tried to give him a second chance in the following episodes, but found his acting cues to be horrible and didn't endear me at all to a relationship between him and Dany; probably because I found him creepy and serial killer-y. But again, I gave him a second chance knowing that he would be on the series for a while as one of the love interests.

Knowing Michiel from his previous roles, charisma and charm is something that you need not worry about with him. But if you're resigned to believe it's the worst casting of the entire series, that's on you.

Well in the five minutes I saw of Ed, I didn't like him and couldn't see Dany falling for him, so different strokes for different folks.

Knowing Michiel from his previous roles, charisma and charm is something that you need not worry about with him. But if you're resigned to believe it's the worst casting of the entire series, that's on you.

I don't doubt that he's been great in other series, but if his first scenes are any indication, then yes, it's what I believe. Not because I believe he's a bad actor, but because I believe he's not the right actor for the role. He just doesn't LOOK dangerous, or smug in any way, and his speech and walk don't seem smug or cocky in the bit either. But I'll concede that it COULD change, I just don't see how. Hopefully he DOES grow on me though.

It's not a question of acting chops though. Hell, you couldn't get much worse than Ed. It's the right role for the right actor, and Ed just happened to be blessed with looking like a slimy cheesy douchebag, i.e Daario. I'm sure Michiel is a perfectly fine actor, but he seems like he would make a better Northerner.

It's not a question of acting chops though. Hell, you couldn't get much worse than Ed. It's the right role for the right actor, and Ed just happened to be blessed with looking like a slimy cheesy douchebag, i.e Daario. I'm sure Michiel is a perfectly fine actor, but he seems like he would make a better Northerner.

I can definitely see this (him making a better Northerner), but Michiel as Daario is what you've got. And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather give a fine actor another chance, especially with some better scenes, than be stuck with a horrible one just because looks the part.

I don't doubt that he's been great in other series, but if his first scenes are any indication, then yes, it's what I believe. Not because I believe he's a bad actor, but because I believe he's not the right actor for the role. He just doesn't LOOK dangerous, or smug in any way, and his speech and walk don't seem smug or cocky in the bit either. But I'll concede that it COULD change, I just don't see how. Hopefully he DOES grow on me though.

Except...is Book!Daario supposed to look dangerous? Nope - he's kind of flamboyantly flashy. As for smug and cocky, maybe we just have a different definition of that because I found him to be completely smug and cocky when he told Dany that he and Greyworm were gambling for the pleasure of riding beside her and when he made fun of Greyworm in Valyrian. But that's just me. I kind of like that subtle arrogance, rather than S3's overtness.

Archived